Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Would you let your boss tell you you can't continue with a hobby of yours?  

If that hobby interfered with my ability to do my work, then yes. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

NSC latest....

Who says no? #WhiteSox receive: LHP Sean Manaea, C Austin Allen #Athletics receive: 1B/RF Gavin Sheets, SS Jose Rodriguez, RHP Kade McClure
#WhiteSox say no
#Athletics say no
Both say no
DEAL!

I think I would do that.  I love Rodriguez and Sheets. But feel much better adding the starter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, staxxington said:

and he's trying to blame the lockout? come on...

We should blame this on Manfred, too, haha…like Tyler Glasnow and the spider-tack controversy.

Baseball remains the one sport that does a worse job promoting their stars in this modern media age (see Trout) than in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.  Somehow MLB is increasingly regional, whereas the NFL and NBA are increasingly national/international.

(Of course, one part of this is the relatively limited financial potential and some ongoing safety/security concerns of the Caribbean/Central/South America and the far-removed nature of Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.) 

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Calling riding a motorcycle a hobby is like calling drag racing a hobby; technically it might be, but as a professional athlete it shouldn't be. I'm surprised they don't have this worked into his contract, and frankly it's a pretty absurdly stupid risk for the kid to continue to take.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If my boss paid me $340M and that hobby could possibly put my entire career at risk...yes?

From a Washington Post story in 2015

For example, the standard NBA contract specifically prohibits boxing, professional wrestling, motorcycling, moped-riding, auto-racing, sky-diving and hang-gliding. How should a hang-gliding enthusiast bide his time until his NBA career expires? Well, the contract expressly permits golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball and volleyball.

The Bulls were kind enough to pay Jay Williams $3M to cover medical expenses. They could have left him high and dry.

The NFL’s uniform player contract is vaguer, disallowing players from “any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury.” Baseball teams tend to be more specific. The New York Yankees once banned log-rolling in their standard contract; the Washington Nationals prevent players from piloting a plane.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

There’s something about Freeman and the Braves org that we don’t know. 

From what I do know, Freddie is one of the most well liked guys across the entire game. That doesn't mean his agent and Braves management have had peaceful talks, but from a guy standpoint Freddie is about as stand up as you'll fine playing professional sports. Ranks right up there with Buster.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If that hobby interfered with my ability to do my work, then yes. 

Especially if I were making $20+ million a year. I'd wrap myself in the finest bubble wrap money can buy!

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s something about Freeman and the Braves org that we don’t know. 

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the expectation around the league is that Freeman will sign elsewhere after he and the Braves were unable to come to an agreement before the lockout began. The Braves reportedly offered Freeman a five-year, $135 million deal, and the first baseman is keen on getting a sixth year.”

“The presumption among a lot of rival executives last year was that Freeman and the Braves would eventually work out a deal. But Freeman was not among the stars who signed a pre-lockout contract -- even after the Braves won the World Series and the franchise operated with the championship glow (and cash injection). So the industry view has shifted; there is a growing belief that Freeman will land somewhere outside of Atlanta because of the standoff in his negotiations. The Braves offered $135 million over five years, sources say, and Freeman is looking for a six-year deal.

"I think [the Braves] will move quickly to settle on an alternative and move on to get past the conversation," one official said.

Maybe that's a deal for Oakland's Matt Olson. Maybe they'll sign Anthony Rizzo. But the Freeman negotiations became a competition, and as one agent said, you never want to do that.

Freeman would be a perfect fit for just about any lineup, especially with the universal designated hitter likely to be used in the National League in 2022. Even a team with an established first baseman could envision Freeman splitting time between DH and first base.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/02/22/freddie-freeman-braves-free-agency-mlb-lockout

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

couldn't driving (potential car crash), also interfere with your work?

You're protected when your car crashes. Alonso's car flipped 3 times and he still ended up ok and ready to play. Had Tatis flipped over 3 times while on his bike, he'd be lucky to just have a broken wrist. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

couldn't driving (potential car crash), also interfere with your work?

Yes, but normal commuting from point A to point B is far less of a risk than a motor bike, or driving a race car 200mph.  Some things are common sense.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

GTFOH

this man didn't even call Freddie.

Repost in the hot thread as this is mind boggling. I live here and the people worship Freeman even moreso than we did to Paulie after the World Series. BAD optics that they couldn't get that done and this is the news breaker on it. 

Ok so assume Dodgers sign Freeman. With all the depth they have and guys able to play multiple positions (not just on the bench but in the lineup), is Harold’s idea of trading for Lux at all realistic? This of course would mean Harrison and García are on the bench but would still likely get enough playing time with injuries and shit.