Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s what I am thinking.  They have Stone mentioning every time he makes a media appearance how Eloy misses cutoff men. I’ve seen him miss cutoff men, but Stone makes it seem like it’s 5 times a game. Again, I hope I am wrong, but I just have a feeling.

I mean, we do have a glut of corner guys and in a theoretical world we’d move one of them to fill other needs.  I definitely wouldn’t give up Eloy though as we saw what he’s capable of when healthly in 2020 and it’s something truly special.

43 minutes ago, poppysox said:

JR is a business guy who looks at things from that perspective.  He works closely with RH and KW on a daily basis like he would a VP in his real estate business.  When something goes wrong he realizes what went into the decision and views it as a team mistake.  I've always been unimpressed with KW but RH does a very good job IMO.  

KW has always had a keen eye for talent, same with Paddy.   To me, the best quality or characteristic of a modern GM should never be contract extensions…because that’s something every team outside the top 6-8 payrolls needs in order to survive.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, we do have a glut of corner guys and in a theoretical world we’d move one of them to fill other needs.  I definitely wouldn’t give up Eloy though as we saw what he’s capable of when healthly in 2020 and it’s something truly special.

Jettisoning Jimenez at 60-75 cents of the dollar whole soon paying Moncada $25 million seems about as anti-Rays as it possibly gets.

Losing Madrigal and Rodon with almost nothing in return was bad enough.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m not too concerned with RF defense. The Sox won the WS with a bad defensive RF who was the WS MVP. With Robert in CF and Engel for late innings, i doubt A poor defender in RF, as long as the bat is really productive, is going to cost you wins.

It’s not just RF tho. It’s a domino effect. If you sign a RF, now playing Eloy at DH regularly becomes more more realistic. That improves OF defense immensely and keeps Eloy healthier. Without signing a RF, we have 3 “OFs” to cover LF, RF and DH and they’re all somewhere between bad and horrible. Not ideal. 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

3rd best LF in baseball by UZR in 05, +9 on DRS. I bet Juan Pierre was the only white Sox LF who was that good in the last 20 years.

Yep - Pods issue was his arm - not the range and his ability to make plays in left. Same with Pierre - arm was weak but rest of him was above average defensively in left. 

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

3rd best LF in baseball by UZR in 05, +9 on DRS. I bet Juan Pierre was the only white Sox LF who was that good in the last 20 years.

He was a 1.9 WAR player. Even with his bad glove, I think Eloy will pummel that number if he plays the sane amount of games.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He was a 1.9 WAR player. Even with his bad glove, I think Eloy will pummel that number if he plays the sane amount of games.

That’s fine! I specifically said Pods was solid defensively. Eloys bat being stronger only makes his defense better in the eyes of some gold glove voters and I guess you?

Pods being defensively strong meant the whole OF was strong and Rowan’s could cover for Dye some. Eloy and Vaughn would give bad defense on both corners and be a bigger injury risk since we do have to worry about Robert’s hip.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s fine! I specifically said Pods was solid defensively. Eloys bat being stronger only makes his defense better in the eyes of some gold glove voters and I guess you?

Pods being defensively strong meant the whole OF was strong and Rowan’s could cover for Dye some. Eloy and Vaughn would give bad defense on both corners and be a bigger injury risk since we do have to worry about Robert’s hip.

BtW, the numbers you use for Pods are  very similar except for a lower UZR rating as Carlos Lee when he last played LF for the Sox in 2004. Would you say he was excellent?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Sluggers like Eloy, Vaughn, and Dye just need to make the routine play and not let the ball hit them in the head.  Sure it is nice when they can do it all but just not that many of those guys around.  The overall production of Vaughn/Sheets and late-inning Engel will match up very favorably with most people we are talking about IMO.  Without the trade of Vaughn, I think that's how it will play out.

52 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Those singles extended a lot of rallies.

It's not like he's hitting .350. He'd have to hit about .350 in order to get on base around .387. Yet usually with an undersized grindy type like this, people say 'we don't need em to hit home runs, we just need someone to get on base.' 

Madrigal always baffled me as a first round pick. He looks like he'd be a sparkplug with all the fundamentals down, but he only has the contact tool, and that should've been evident in his NCAA career. What did MLB scouts see in him?

This is the kind of guy a really good org develops out of nowhere to fill out the bottom of the lineup but doesn't use a #1 pick to get him, and then also doesn't trade him for an overpriced and largely superfluous reliever. Moreover a low cost #9 hitter with some upside is usually a desideratum for a team with frugal tendencies like the Sox, so getting rid of Madrigal was to me just as puzzling as spending a #1 pick on him in the first place. In the end, I still think Harrison will be an alright fit for this team's needs and is probably a slightly better defender in spite of the age difference. 

Edited by KBX

4 minutes ago, KBX said:

It's not like he's hitting .350. He'd have to hit about .350 in order to get on base around .387. Yet usually with an undersized grindy type like this, people say 'we don't need em to hit home runs, we just need someone to get on base.' 

Madrigal always baffled me as a first round pick. He looks like he'd be a sparkplug with all the fundamentals down, but he only has the contact tool, and that should've been evident in his NCAA career. What did MLB scouts see in him?

This is the kind of guy a really good org develops out of nowhere to fill out the bottom of the lineup but doesn't use a #1 pick to get him, and then also doesn't trade him for an overpriced and largely superfluous reliever. Moreover a low cost #9 hitter with some upside is usually a desideratum for a team with frugal tendencies like the Sox, so getting rid of Madrigal was to me just as puzzling as spending a #1 pick on him in the first place. In the end, I still think Harrison will be an alright fit for this team's needs and is probably a slightly better defender in spite of the age difference. 

With the lineup we have around him, he was a good fit for the 9-spot. Oh well, the move is behind us though.