Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

4 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Good morning ....wake-up people, that's not happening. There will be no RF signing. We will go to opening day with what we threw out there last year with Leury most likely the starting RF on opening day.

I would never declare that but I am leaning 70% that way while you went 100% . Even though I whine about Jerry and the Gang as much as anyone the Sox are over $200M and going higher. How much higher is the big question. I will say I am doubtful about Conforto but Nimmo in his place for a year wouldn't be bad. Too bad the Mets might not want to get rid of a potential 5+ WAR guy.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Sluggers like Eloy, Vaughn, and Dye just need to make the routine play and not let the ball hit them in the head.  Sure it is nice when they can do it all but just not that many of those guys around.  The overall production of Vaughn/Sheets and late-inning Engel will match up very favorably with most people we are talking about IMO.  Without the trade of Vaughn, I think that's how it will play out.

Especially these days with fewer balls in play.

You have to figure the team will address its lack of LH hitting pretty soon. They are more RH now than they were at the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That moment you realize the Opening Day double play duo is (currently) Harrison and Leury 😳

For anyone like me that was wondering if Tim Anderson had a mystery injury, it's the suspension from the Tigers series at the end of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

BtW, the numbers you use for Pods are  very similar except for a lower UZR rating as Carlos Lee when he last played LF for the Sox in 2004. Would you say he was excellent?

I have honestly never looked at Pods’ defensive numbers from that time frame but I do remember that nobody at the time thought he was an excellent defender.  

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Especially these days with fewer balls in play.

You have to figure the team will address its lack of LH hitting pretty soon. They are more RH now than they were at the end of the season.

That's why I am so keen on keeping Sheets around.  We all want an all-star at every position with unbelievable hitting and defensive abilities, etc.  The path to winning still revolves around pitching both SP and RP.  We have a very good offense whether or not we sign a Conforto type.   The defense will probably be considered our area of weakness but I'm not overly concerned since the infield and center are solid.  RH seems to be overbuilding the pitching staff and frankly, I love a staff you can trust...much like the lockdown situation of 2005.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

RH seems to be overbuilding the pitching staff and frankly, I love a staff you can trust...much like the lockdown situation of 2005.

"Overbuilding" the relief staff.  We're definitely not heavy  on starters.
Hopefully they can finesse Kimbrel into something.

Edited by GreenSox

14 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I have honestly never looked at Pods’ defensive numbers from that time frame but I do remember that nobody at the time thought he was an excellent defender.  

His speed and reads somewhat canceled out, and he had a left-fielder's arm. I'd believe it if he were above average at the LF position. But no one was really using advanced metrics then.

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's why I am so keen on keeping Sheets around.  We all want an all-star at every position with unbelievable hitting and defensive abilities, etc.  The path to winning still revolves around pitching both SP and RP.  We have a very good offense whether or not we sign a Conforto type.   The defense will probably be considered our area of weakness but I'm not overly concerned since the infield and center are solid.  RH seems to be overbuilding the pitching staff and frankly, I love a staff you can trust...much like the lockdown situation of 2005.

Especially this year with the short spring training. The starters their first few starts are glorified openers.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This is one thing I understand the need for.

I can see it if Leury is the presumptive 2B.   Otherwise, it takes away another bat.
But to me, 2B is in more of a need of upgrading than RF.   Engel's played really well when healthy; and sheets was a monster against RHP and he didn't do it Palka-style.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I would never declare that but I am leaning 70% that way while you went 100% . Even though I whine about Jerry and the Gang as much as anyone the Sox are over $200M and going higher. How much higher is the big question. I will say I am doubtful about Conforto but Nimmo in his place for a year wouldn't be bad. Too bad the Mets might not want to get rid of a potential 5+ WAR guy.

My take is they'll live with the platoon they had last year and wait for Colas or Cespedes to hit the majors.  They don't see the need to sign a RF like Conforto longterm and are counting on Colas to make the team in 2023.

If the market falls and Conforto will take one year with an option I'm for it.

48 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

My take is they'll live with the platoon they had last year and wait for Colas or Cespedes to hit the majors.  They don't see the need to sign a RF like Conforto longterm and are counting on Colas to make the team in 2023.

Colas hasn't faced live pitching in a professional setting since 2019. There's no way he is being counted on as the RF for 2022 by the Sox. People need to stop writing him and Cespedes in as can't miss options.

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Colas hasn't faced live pitching in a professional setting since 2019. There's no way he is being counted on as the RF for 2022 by the Sox. People need to stop writing him and Cespedes in as can't miss options.

I don't think they're can't miss options, but I do believe that the Sox believe in both guys, so they might think that one of them will be able to contribute by mid-season. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think they're can't miss options, but I do believe that the Sox believe in both guys, so they might think that one of them will be able to contribute by mid-season. 

I hope they believe in them. If you are trying to win, you don't worry about what guys might be, let them force their hand when it happens.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I hope they believe in them. If you are trying to win, you don't worry about what guys might be, let them force their hand when it happens.

No arguments. 

I think that they should not give a fuck about either guy, just fill out RF and worry about Cespedes/Colas later. If either guy forces their hand it will give them trade chips. 

If either guy forces their hand they can move Eloy to DH and Conforto to LF. 

Also, signing Conforto allows them to get a year of service time back by stashing Vaughn in Charlotte unless Abreu gets hurt or something. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No arguments. 

I think that they should not give a fuck about either guy, just fill out RF and worry about Cespedes/Colas later. If either guy forces their hand it will give them trade chips. 

If either guy forces their hand they can move Eloy to DH and Conforto to LF. 

Also, signing Conforto allows them to get a year of service time back by stashing Vaughn in Charlotte unless Abreu gets hurt or something. 

There is no way Vaughn is going to the MiLB.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they sign a RF, where's he gonna play? 

Between LF, 1b and dh he’ll still play almost everyday.  Destroying the international league does nothing for his development or the big league team.  It’s a silly idea. 

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

@fathom make it stop 

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cespedes as a starting option beginning to remind me of those that thought Collins could start as a catcher.  I’ve yet to see much of anything positive written about Cespedes.

^^^^

I think if they're concerned about anything, it's blocking Colas in 2023 but they shouldn't be thinking about that. 

If the Sox are keeping Vaughn, they need to make the hard choice to let Abreu go after this season. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

There is no way Vaughn is going to the MiLB.

You're probably right. I'd like to see him get the better part of a season in AAA getting LF-1B time in and just as importantly facing good RH talent day to day. I don't know what he'd think about that though.