Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Not being able to give Conforto a deal in that range because the Sox prioritized having a ~60M bullpen instead sure would be something.

Seriously!  If he’s not even asking for a 5th year, balking at 4 is silly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Not being able to give Conforto a deal in that range because the Sox prioritized having a ~60M bullpen instead sure would be something.

Not giving Conforto a deal in that range because he's not worth it would be something different.

25 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I might be fine if it landed between $13M - $18M per year.  

$20M+ is a pass for me.  Personally I'd max out at $15M

Why tho? It’s not your money. $5M AAV is nothing. He makes this team so much better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why tho? It’s not your money. $5M AAV is nothing. He makes this team so much better. 

I'd much rather give the extra 5M to Conforto than another reliever who wouldn't move the needle for this team at all anyways.

Paying premium prices for relievers but not willing to do it for positions of actual need makes 0 sense.

Edited by maxjusttyped

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Bc JR is NOT going over $200M and would prefer to be well under it.   

Unlike the majority of this board I am realistic.  And realistically have the Sox EVER giving a $100M+ contract to a true FA.....Nope. 

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jim isn't perfect, but he does have a strong historical understanding of the organization and it's players and is a good reference for White Sox history imo. He also doesn't pretend to have knowledge or ideas on potential trades or inside info. Nelson on the other hand... he has been portraying himself as that kind of person in the last year and it's just not a good look on him. He's that drunk guy at games yelling behind you things that leave you wondering if it was their first baseball game ever, or if they've ever even picked up a bat before.

Josh one time poised a really dumb question on Twitter about our minor league system and I called him out for it in a very respectful way.  Instead of just saying “good point”, he responds “I wasn’t asking you…I was asking Jim Callis”.  Knew he was total tool at that very moment.  That and when he brags about “three beer Josh”…truly cringe worthy stuff.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'd much rather give the extra 5M to Conforto than another reliever who wouldn't move the needle for this team at all anyways.

Paying premium prices for relievers but not willing to do it for positions of actual need makes 0 sense.

Or waste $10M on another stop gap that’s doesn’t move the needle either. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Unlike the majority of this board I am realistic.  And realistically have the Sox EVER giving a $100M+ contract to a true FA.....Nope. 

Kimbrel, Graveman, & Joe Kelly are combined to make 33.5M this year. The money was there to sign a top FA position player like Conforto if Hahn had decided to go that route instead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Agreed 

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Kimbrel, Graveman, & Joe Kelly are combined to make 33.5M this year. The money was there to sign a top FA position player like Conforto if Hahn had decided to go that route instead.

This team would be way worse with Conforto and without all three of those relievers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do too. I want to keep him. He’s great depth. But there isn’t a chance in hell I’m sitting AV for him consistently. One is going to be an offensive star in this league. The other a useful platoon bat. 

You aren’t the manager though.  I think you might be giving Tony too much credit here…he starts Leury against RHP because he’s a “switch hitter”.  If we sign Conforto, there is a real possibility that Sheets gets the majority of the DH at-bats.  Tony is as old school as it gets.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Conforto isn't going to sign for 33.5M per year. You could have signed him and gone cheaper at reliever to ultimately make a better team, I think.

I disagree. The difference between Graveman/Kelly and who would take their innings is greater than the difference between Conforto and Sheets/Engel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I mean let's be clear too what we are talking about.

If I'm building a fantasy team would I target conforto first if he's costing $20M and I have a $200M budget?

No, he's not well rounded enough as a defender and seems like a brick as a person.

But the sox have a contending team that also has clear vulnerabilities, we have few prospects to trade, and the seasons are important now...then what I want is for them to spend what they do have in money on the guy that's clearly the best fit.

We made our perfect world choices in suffering for years to have long-term control over Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Vaughn, Giolito and Cease. Now we are making the imperfect world choices because we need to maximize that window now.

(it would be easier if we drafted better than awful).

100% agree.

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

They would never hold a lead. Imagine the reaction when they lose leads in the 7 and 8. "How could RH not sign a decent reliever" We have all these hitters but can't hold a lead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I disagree. The difference between Graveman/Kelly and who would take their innings is greater than the difference between Conforto and Sheets/Engel.

Agreed. I think the Vaughn/Sheets/Engel will produce good offense. The question is what is it worth to have Conforto offense difference and defense for 7 innings worth it?

17 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Right, the majority of the board is unrealistic.  And every statement you make is 100% fact, despite being continually debunked and refuted.  Sure Sure.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

That’s why you trade Kimbrel and reallocate the funds. 

Seems pretty obvious you’re not a Conforto guy. That’s cool. Hope you’ll be disappointed at the Sox improving vastly in the next week or so! 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

14 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This team would be way worse with Conforto and without all three of those relievers.

Kimbrel’s option covers a large chunk of Conforto’s year 1 salary .  And there were other RP options to be had.  Hahn could have addressed both areas of need, let’s be real here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Right, the majority of the board is unrealistic.  And every statement you make is 100% fact, despite being continually debunked and refuted.  Sure Sure.  

Not 1 has.  But sure if you can't argue your case going thats fine with me as well

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Kimbrel’s option covers a large chunk of Conforto’s year 1 salary .  And there were other RP options to be had.  Hahn could have addressed both areas of need, let’s be real here. 

It's not the single year salary.  It's how many years after that they need to commit to him.

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic