3/28 | Padres vs White Sox | 3:05PM CT | ESPN1000

Tnetennba

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Perhaps you also noticed that 6 of his 17 AB's prior to this game today were against LHP and against RHP he was batting .364 in 11 ABs if we are going to draw conclusions based on small sample sizes and ST games.  He's going to play against mostly RHP and rarely against LHP.

He will, but I want to see if there's a book on how to pitch him now (seems like there is).

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Lambert only going 1 inning seems quite strange considering he's the only viable upper minors SP depth in the organization. He should be built up beyond an inning unless there was an injury that I missed.

Didn't he have UCL reconstruction in the middle of last season?

That puts him about 9 months out. He is just getting into pitching again. He is just starting his buildup.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Didn't he have UCL reconstruction in the middle of last season?

That puts him about 9 months out. He is just getting into pitching again. He is just starting his buildup.

Are you thinking of Stiever? Lambert was healthy in Charlotte/Chicago through the end of last season.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

What happened to Crochet? Got shellacked. 

He pitched yesterday too. Maybe that was the reason or it's like spring training and Sox are getting a feel if he can be functional 2 days in a row or it' spring training and he might be working on something ? Anyway let me remind everyone it's Spring Training Emphasis on training not results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, almagest said:

He will, but I want to see if there's a book on how to pitch him now (seems like there is).

Well you can explain the book to everyone or just let us guess that you actually know anything. There's always books on everyone, then hitters adjust, then the book changes. It happened last year with him and I'm sure it will again. It's the baseball circle of life. Nothing to see here.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He pitched yesterday too. Maybe that was the reason or it's like spring training and Sox are getting a feel if he can be functional 2 days in a row or it' spring training and he might be working on something ? Anyway let me remind everyone it's Spring Training Emphasis on training not results.

I just want to know if he was still throwing 98. 

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I just want to know if he was still throwing 98. 

Location, getting ahead in counts, differentiating the speed 10+ MPH on his secondary pitches...there are a million different angles.

For whatever reason, he seem to struggle most with runners on base or in scoring position and two outs.  So a lot of it's psychological, and/or gaining experience.

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A lot better to work on that now than in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Are you thinking of Stiever? Lambert was healthy in Charlotte/Chicago through the end of last season.

Could be. I may be mixing them up.

Edited by ptatc

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well you can explain the book to everyone or just let us guess that you actually know anything. There's always books on everyone, then hitters adjust, then the book changes. It happened last year with him and I'm sure it will again. It's the baseball circle of life. Nothing to see here.

Not sure why you're being so hostile, but yes. There's potentially a book on Sheets now. We'll see if he can adjust.

42 minutes ago, almagest said:

Not sure why you're being so hostile, but yes. There's potentially a book on Sheets now. We'll see if he can adjust.

Hit: Open stance with a wide base, knees bent. Keeps his hands high and behind his head. Some pre-pitch body sway and bat movement. Moderate leg kick as he steps into the pitch. Wide base at impact. Average or better bat speed. Inconsistent bat path that tends to be upward; gets the ball in the air to the pull-side on pitches middle-to-up in the zone. Takes some big cuts. Has a good eye on pitches out of the zone, but struggles with offspeed stuff down. Shows good bat-to-ball skills and fights off pitches in the upper half of the zone, although he is often behind on velocity. Grade: 45

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/gavin-sheets

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, almagest said:

I'm the 1st guy to jump on management but I try to leave the players alone. I stay out of game threads usually during the season because they are a mess of over reactions. They have books on everyone. A few ground outs in ST mean nothing. Sheets has the potential to be a big bat or fizzle out but observations on a few ST AB's don't mean anything.

He's shown he can work a count and pick the pitches to drive. Players like Sheets will make outs 3/4 of the time. I'd rather analyze what he does the other 1/4 times when he's not making outs. If he's taking walks,hitting doubles and HR's against RHP then he's doing a great job. The majority of his extra base hits will probably be to RF so yes he will GO often to the right side , probably hit into his share of double plays but I'll take those outs if he's slugging .500 with a high OPS against those righties. Sheets is the Sox best shot at putting up Conforto type numbers from the left side.

I'm sorry if I was hostile. There's a battle on Soxtalk that divides us into a sort of Sheets vs. Vaughn mentality. Neither one should be in the minors now. They should both get a lot of AB's but unfortunately one or the other is going to have to get those AB's in RF for that to happen. The other spot to get a lot of AB's is DH. They both deserve an equal shot to do great things for the Sox.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

He proposed a hypothetical extension for Giolito. While that extension would be a generally fair market value number for him, the way the ages would work out makes it troublesome for him. 

If he took a $90 million extension, he basically doesn't hit FA again until he's 32, starting his year 33 season. Very few guys score long-term deals at that point - teams are much more likely to pay big time contracts out for a guy who is 29 going on 30.

So the calculus for a Giolito would be - I guarantee myself $65 million, it could go as high as $90 million, but my career earnings aren't likely to go much beyond that unless I'm still really good and healthy 5 years from now. Or alternatively, I pitch 2 more seasons like I am right now and I sign a $130 million+ deal - and if I'm any better than last year, I still have a ceiling where I could push the deal even higher. With the 2 arb years, that leaves my career earnings at $155 million+, compared to $90 million plus whatever I can get for my age 33 season.

This sure seems like a place where there's a big reward for "Betting on yourself". 

Yep...but you are always one injury away from out of baseball.  This bet on yourself is really macho...but guys like Chris Sale protected their families rather than their ego.  During the lockout, we kept hearing about how short baseball careers can be.  Gio should think long and hard before he gets overly greedy.

35 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yep...but you are always one injury away from out of baseball.  This bet on yourself is really macho...but guys like Chris Sale protected their families rather than their ego.  During the lockout, we kept hearing about how short baseball careers can be.  Gio should think long and hard before he gets overly greedy.

Didn't even have to look at the author.

Isn't greed good and what makes the world go round in capitalistic enterprises?  How much is too much?  Who gets to decide?  It's okay for big market teams to offer those contracts, but not for the White Sox?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-deshaun-watsons-game-changing-deal-and-its-ramifications-hottest-topic-at-owners-meetings/

How guaranteed big money contracts for CBS will ruin small market franchises that can't compete with hundreds of millions set aside for these deals like the Watson one.

Edited by caulfield12