TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. We are .500 12 games into a season where are two best pitchers are on the DL. It’s freaking early. 

I get it - they had a bad last 3 games but geeze it’s baseball. This team is still really good. Sit back and enjoy what will be a fun season (even if front office and mgr were dolts in there ability to make a strong team even stronger…which they were).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. We are .500 12 games into a season where are two best pitchers are on the DL. It’s freaking early. 

I get it - they had a bad last 3 games but geeze it’s baseball. This team is still really good. Sit back and enjoy what will be a fun season (even if front office and mgr were dolts in there ability to make a strong team even stronger…which they were).

Jas, I'm curious, how many innings did you watch of Sox-Cle this week? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Jas, I'm curious, how many innings did you watch of Sox-Cle this week? 

Probably half of them.  But I also fully understand its baseball - teams can look really bad and people go through slumps.  Living and breathing on every pitch is just not a healthy way to analyze it, especially given small sample size. Yes - some of those lineups were atrocious but there were years with Ozzie where I think we had Timo hitting clean-up and probably lineups with Erstad & Timo at 3-4. Big deal - if you watch enough baseball, you will see plenty of teams go through spells they look dead, etc. 

I mean Keuchel stunk - I happened to think he would bounce back (and by bounce back be like a 4.5 type of pitcher this year)...but maybe that doesn't happen.  Lambert/VV - both are out once you get your two starters back. I can whine all I want about wanting Rodon back (i was the original Rodon qualifying, constant member of that fan club). But whatever - this team should still win the division and win it handily.  

It is not a world series favorite (right now) - but the right move at the deadline can change that (although my preference would have been to do more in the off-season using cash  and better allocation of resources vs. trade - but whatever). 

Its baseball - sh*t happens.  Now if it were May 31st and we were 10 games under .500 and everyone is out hurt...that is a whole nother story. But its 12 games into the season and 3 days ago we had one of the best records in baseball and now we are .500.  Now if you told me we just lost 3 of our best players for the season - than by all means, I would panic away at that point.  

• Thanks 1

My take away after the last  few series:

1. Vaughn should not be in the outfield... ever. He flipped Harrison who was injured trying to avoid him. It is only a matter of time before Vaughn injurs himself diving into the ground or  bulldozes Robert.

2. Burger might be as good of a hitter as Vaughn. Jake  has been one of the bright spots on the team thus far.

3  Super Joe should be reigned in in terms of his aggressive "sends" . I did not see whether he put up a stop sign for Leury when he rounded 1st base, but he should have.  If he did, Leury should have heeded it. 

4. Bennetti needs to work on his tone of voice when a player hits a fly ball into the OF. His call often raises the expectation that a ball  has a chance to leave the park, and then it ends up being a 300 ft deep fly-out.

5. Stone is just awful. I wish  he would retire so that the Sox could hire another color commentator.

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, tray said:

1. Vaughn should not be in the outfield... ever. He flipped Harrison who was injured trying to avoid him. It is only a matter of time before Vaughn injurs himself diving into the ground or  bulldozes Robert.

2. Burger might be as good of a hitter as Vaughn. Jake  has been one of the bright spots on the team thus far.

3  Super Joe should be reigned in in terms of his aggressive "sends" . I did not see whether he put up a stop sign for Leury when he rounded 1st base, but he should have.  If he did, Leury should have heeded it. 

4. Bennetti needs to work on his tone of voice when a player hits a fly ball into the OF. His call often raises the expectation that a ball  has a chance to leave the park, and then it ends up being a 300 ft deep fly-out.

5. Stone is just awful. I wish  he would retire so that the Sox could hire another color commentator.

So Burger can't hit against RHP?

58 minutes ago, tray said:

I enjoyed your post until the Stone item. Are you serious? Stone is a delight. He's smart and has a good voice and is pretty ideal in the booth IMO.

Just now, chw42 said:

I'm not sure. I listened to Jim on 670 after these conspiracy posts and didn't really take anything away from it that seemed like a conspiracy. 

I mean it seems like they are wanting to create a power struggle there between the front office and Tony, but that's a pretty serious accusation to throw around with no actual evidence other than the same insane things that Tony has been doing for decades.

It's scary how many fans on this message board 'hate' or 'don't like' Tony. Outside of this board is the sentiment this ugly regarding the Hall of Fame skipper? I can't imagine tons of Sox fans despise Tony's hiring as much as folks in message board land. Personally I think Tony is fine. Lots of managers do the "rest" thing and sit players way too often.

The "rest thing" certainly hasn't helped our injury situation in the Tony era. But I sort of like having Tony at the helm. The man is not a buffoon, folks. His resume suggests excellence, not hyperbole, it just does! I wish people would give TLR a chance til all star break.  My problems with baseball managerial decisions involve modern day thinking, more than being frustrated with one manager named LaRussa.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's scary how many fans on this message board 'hate' or 'don't like' Tony. Outside of this board is the sentiment this ugly regarding the Hall of Fame skipper? I can't imagine tons of Sox fans despise Tony's hiring as much as folks in message board land. Personally I think Tony is fine. Lots of managers do the "rest" thing and sit players way too often.

The "rest thing" certainly hasn't helped our injury situation in the Tony era. But I sort of like having Tony at the helm. The man is not a buffoon, folks. His resume suggests excellence, not hyperbole, it just does! I wish people would give TLR a chance til all star break.  My problems with baseball managerial decisions involve modern day thinking, more than being frustrated with one manager named LaRussa.

greg  has a new shtick everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

greg  has a new shtick everyone.

Ugh. That's what I get for posting (what I thought was) a well-reasoned, sane response in a topic about Sox skipper LaRussa. My bad. I can kill the post if u prefer. Sorry if La Russa doesn't bother me at this point in time.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I have yet to meet a real person who thinks La Russa is doing a good job. 

• Thanks 1

Better find out after the game that $73.5 million Grandal was unavailable to pinch hit!

Leury hitting third?

Now we probably will get TA7 waiving his appeal so Tony can sit him tomorrow to teach him some type of old school baseball lesson when we need all the offense we can assemble against Bundy.

Five...looking like a strong possibility of six losses in a row.

Still just one game out of first place but might as well be five games back if this is how they're going to play this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hinch > TLR 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Ugh. That's what I get for posting (what I thought was) a well-reasoned, sane response in a topic about Sox skipper LaRussa. My bad. I can kill the post if u prefer. Sorry if La Russa doesn't bother me at this point in time.

he is over the hill and clueless.

• Love 1