GAMETHREAD 4/13/22: Sox vs Mariners (Keuchel vs Ray) 6:10 pm CDT

TheTruth05

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

man, i thought 7 inning doubleheaders were awful.

game was designed to have a lineup turnover 3 times guaranteed. 

1. The game was also designed to be...one game. Playing 18 innings in one day is far too much baseball

2. If we are talking about game design and how things were in the past, you're also talking about pitchers that would throw 300 innings in one season, teams hitting a combined 40 HR's in 140 games, and a good SO/W rate in the 2's...

Things change....in 2022 with the way bullpens and starters are used, when a DH takes place, I like a team getting those 4 combined innings back and speeding up what is already far too long of a game, generally. 

• Like 2

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

They let people get in the park and spend $$ on food and beer knowing full well there's not going to be a game.

Every team does this. Teams and players don’t want to play DHs or give away off days. This isn’t some Sox specific thing. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. The game was also designed to be...one game. Playing 18 innings in one day is far too much baseball

2. If we are talking about game design and how things were in the past, you're also talking about pitchers that would throw 300 innings in one season, teams hitting a combined 40 HR's in 140 games, and a good SO/W rate in the 2's...

Things change....in 2022 with the way bullpens and starters are used, when a DH takes place, I like a team getting those 4 combined innings back and speeding up what is already far too long of a game, generally. 

Don’t even get me started on fielders using gloves!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

Also

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/10-bizarre-rules-from-baseballs-past/c-124363454

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

You would not be friends with Ernie Banks 

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

Outcomes and strategy have changed, but overall structure has remained relatively unchanged.

Also they used to play a ton more double headers. They actually scheduled them

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

37 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Don’t even get me started on fielders using gloves!

18 innings is too much and uneccesary. I can still hear my dad saying TWO HANDS!!!