White Sox vs Guardians GT 4/21/22

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

for @ptatc you keep talking about guys needing rest, why is one of the oldest guys on the team (Leury) playing 3 games while the young guys need rest?

And why is Grandal, the guy who made the most sense to sit today because he played both games including catching one, immune from this rest? 

Its all just bullshit.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Fine. But if you have four bench players and play them 2x per week, that's 8 days of rest for the starting nine.

Even then, it still doesn't justify batting Leury 3rd. Only guys on this roster he should ever bat ahead of are McGuire and Haseley. Maybe Harrison vs RHP. Also doesn't explain why Engel isn't in the OF over Sheets or Haseley.

I was talking in general not necessarily for this game. Players need mental breaks. I understand the need, however these lineups are weird. Makes me think that there are minor injuries we don't know about.

Just now, ptatc said:

I was talking in general not necessarily for this game. Players need mental breaks. I understand the need, however these lineups are weird. Makes me think that there are minor injuries we don't know about.

Injuries have nothing to do with Garcia hitting 3rd. If he wants a lefty in that spot you have Grandal

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

for @ptatc you keep talking about guys needing rest, why is one of the oldest guys on the team (Leury) playing 3 games while the young guys need rest?

Because at the end if the season they don't care about Garcias performance. It's the star players that need to be ready at the end if the season and playoffs. Besides it's the mental break even more than physical.

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Injuries have nothing to do with Garcia hitting 3rd. If he wants a lefty in that spot you have Grandal

I agree. That's why I said the lineups are weird. I'm referring to who is playing not necessarily where.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Because at the end if the season they don't care about Garcias performance. It's the star players that need to be ready at the end if the season and playoffs. Besides it's the mental break even more than physical.

You just can't relinquish anything, huh?

La Russa views Garcia valuable enough to bat him THIRD two games in a row.

Players don't need all these days off. I have no idea where you came up with this stuff. Andrew Vaughn doesn't need 40 games off a year to "stay fresh." This is all complete nonsense with absolutely zero supporting evidence. Mental rest. Give me a fucking break man, it's April 21st.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You just can't relinquish anything, huh?

La Russa views Garcia valuable enough to bat him THIRD two games in a row.

Players don't need all these days off. I have no idea where you came up with this stuff. Andrew Vaughn doesn't need 40 games off a year to "stay fresh." This is all complete nonsense with absolutely zero supporting evidence. Mental rest. Give me a fucking break man, it's April 21st.

To each his own.

And as I said in another post, my comments are about who is playing not where. The lineups are weird.

I'll stick with my experience and base it in that.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

At 39 years old, 6'5 240 pound Frank Thomas played 155 of 162 games. 

This idea that players need a day off per week in addition to the days off in most weeks for mental rest is just complete BS. 

So everyone should expect to produce and play like Frank Thomas?

There us a reason he is a HOF. He did things that normals players couldn't. 

Edited by ptatc

Just now, ptatc said:

To each his own.

And as I said in another post, my comments are about who is playing not where. The lineups are weird.

I'll stick with my experience and base it in that.

What experience? Giving guy 25-30 games off a year is not an experience that jives with any historical strategy or implementation. The best players consistently played 150+ games a year - and STILL DO for most teams. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree. That's why I said the lineups are weird. I'm referring to who is playing not necessarily where.

It looks like a regular lineup though, the guys playing at least, minus the guys on the IL. The order is weird. Vaughn is in a platoon (minus when bench is short). No one is really missing.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Leury started all 4 playoff games last year.  Tony absolutely cares about Leury's performance and will plan to play him a ton in the playoffs if we get there.  He's throwing him out there because he thinks he's much better than he is, not the reason you're giving.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Produce? They're not even given the chance too. The best players should be playing 92-93% of the games. This isn't complicated.

You talking about guys needing a mental break on April 21st is just hilarious.

Thomas also only DHd the year you are referencing. 

The rest is a combination of both physical and mental rest. April 21st is early but when players are struggling sometimes they need that break. Mental health issues aren't on a timeline. It's more episodic. (If that's a word.)

Edited by ptatc

Just now, Rowand44 said:

Leury started all 4 playoff games last year.  Tony absolutely cares about Leury's performance and will plan to play him a ton in the playoffs if we get there.  He's throwing him out there because he thinks he's much better than he is, not the reason you're giving.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Thomas also only DHd the year you are referencing. 

Do you really think playing the field (LF) is physically taxing for a professional athlete? 

I'd argue DHing is actually more taxing mentally than playing the field and hitting.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

4 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I can't remember,  we're there injuries in the playoffs.