AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

southsider2k5

39 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Weird. That would seem to indicate they play better when aggressive and not looking at a lot of pitches. 

And/or when our pitchers plow through the opposition and get quick outs.

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

So, pitch well, win. Pitch poorly, lose. I have to imagine this is similar for a lot of teams.

Sure, but the best teams have the ability to win some 7-6 games on nights your pitching isn't good. Sox have yet to win a game when allowing > 4 runs, and if that doesn't change, this will be at best a wild card team with an early playoff exit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Weird. That would seem to indicate they play better when aggressive and not looking at a lot of pitches. 

Not weird at all. Under 3 hrs. means they got good pitching and their AB's are still aggressive and our innings short since under 3 hr. games are pretty rare.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I am so much less worried about Sox hitting than their pitching, it isn't even funny.

-For some reason we accumulated one of the worst possible groups of really bad early starters.  Ron has his annual meltdown about Jose Abreu ever year for a reason.  The guy just doesn't hit until the weather breaks. 

-Career April OPS+

Robert 78*

Grandal 88*

Abreu 86*

Leury 92

Harrison 86*

Pollock 87

Eloy 63

* = Lowest of any month during their career on average.

-Add to that the injuries to Eloy, Moncada, Pollock, and now Vaughn, and you have more and more bench ABs.

-Also factor in the Sox leading MLB in luckiest team in baseball offense.

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not weird at all. Under 3 hrs. means they got good pitching and their AB's are still aggressive and our innings short since under 3 hr. games are pretty rare.

But why aren't other teams also beating us using the same formula? 

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

And/or when our pitchers plow through the opposition and get quick outs.

True, but as poorly as we're hitting and lack of taking walks, why aren't we getting plowed through and losing fast? 

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

But why aren't other teams also beating us using the same formula? 

The stats Cuda used only covered 12 of the 24 games. There is a gap between 3 and 3.5 hrs. I have no idea if the other 12 games were somewhere over 3 hrs but less than 3.5 hrs which is what his data suggests. That would mean the Sox are 4-8 in games between 3 and 3.5 hrs long.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The stats Cuda used only covered 12 of the 24 games. There is a gap between 3 and 3.5 hrs. I have no idea if the other 12 games were somewhere over 3 hrs but less than 3.5 hrs which is what his data suggests. That would mean the Sox are 4-8 in games between 3 and 3.5 hrs long.

True. 

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox also played a lot better defense the last four games or so.  Love the bat, but not having to play Vaughn in LF really helps.

His defense really fell off in LF. He had bad range last year, but he at least looked like he belonged in LF. Not so this year. 

Edited by chw42

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am so much less worried about Sox hitting than their pitching, it isn't even funny.

-For some reason we accumulated one of the worst possible groups of really bad early starters.  Ron has his annual meltdown about Jose Abreu ever year for a reason.  The guy just doesn't hit until the weather breaks. 

-Career April OPS+

Robert 78*

Grandal 88*

Abreu 86*

Leury 92

Harrison 86*

Pollock 87

Eloy 63

-Add to that the injuries to Eloy, Moncada, Pollock, and now Vaughn, and you have more and more bench ABs.

We finally found the data Tony was looking at when he hit Leury 3rd.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

-Career April OPS+

Robert 78*

Grandal 88*

Abreu 86*

Leury 92

Harrison 86*

Pollock 87

Eloy 63

Sure, but unless we get some unexpected help from unlikely sources, our win totals matching last season are questionable  without the big first half magic of last season.  Guys like Mercedes floated the team for awhile, Rodon and Legend, even Goodwin with big hits.  Nobody is stepping up yet.  I’m  hoping Robert and AJ can make up for  some of the Mercedes magic. They gotta start picking this up. Can we expect the Sox to have a big final stretch as opposed to the dud last season too. So I’m  a little concerned if they don’t have the big  first half considering last year’s home stretch.