Sox vs Sox Rubbermatch and Season Finale- 7:10 CT

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Why do people keep saying this? What about his contract do I not understand?

I see "2023 Vesting Option vests with 320 IP across 2021-2022, including 160 IP in 2022" according to Spotrac https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/dallas-keuchel-11592/

He pitched 162 innings last year, so he still just has to hit the 160 IP this year. He's already at 30 IP. 130 more innings pitched is much more attainable, and also why he's complaining about being pulled in games that he's actually not getting shelled.

I don't think this is so far-fetched. What am I missing?

I don't know what you're missing.  He needs to throw 160 innings for the option to vest.  He's thrown 30 innings in 7 starts (~4.3 innings per start, on avg).  If he takes every turn through the rotation the rest of the season, he make 25 more starts.  

25 starts X average of 5 innings per starts (again, he has averaged less than that to date) = 125 innings + 30 innings pitched to date = 155 innings, which is below the 160 innings, and that assume Dallas makes 25 more starts, which is incredibly unlikely.  

Its unlikely Dallas makes 25 more starts.  Its unlikely he averages 5 IP in the rest of the starts that he actually does make.  Therefore, it is incredibly unlikely he hits 160 innings.  This dude is going to be replaced in the rotation when Lynn returns anyway.  If he's thrown in pen for even just 2 weeks, and then gets a rotation spot back, he's never getting to 160 innings even if he starts the rest of the season on from that point.  Its really a non issue. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

This is why I get annoyed when people cite how many games Yoan plays as proof he’s durable.  There have been so many games over the last few years where he was clearly less than 100 pct and for one reason or another was still on the field (and lacking explosion).  I’m not blaming him, as it seems more of a training staff issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

This is why I get annoyed when people cite how many games Yoan plays as proof he’s durable.  There have been so many games over the last few years where he was clearly less than 100 pct and for one reason or another was still on the field (and lacking explosion).  I’m not blaming him, as it seems more of a training staff issue.

I know you don't do this, but people on here talk about how "soft" certain players are when they get frequent rest days, but then also don't like when someone very clearly tries to grit through injuries. It's not really fair for people to have it both ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know you don't do this, but people on here talk about how "soft" certain players are when they get frequent rest days, but then also don't like when someone very clearly tries to grit through injuries. It's not really fair for people to have it both ways.

I will never call another person soft. 

Who am I to judge? I'm not in their shoes and I don't know what they're dealing with. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

gotta be a training thing given how many soft tissue injuries this team suffers year after year.

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really sure why we’re still running Dallas out there. The decision was obviously made before the series and cemented when VV came in for relief on Tuesday. But woof - we gotta stop punting games with Keuchel on the mound. 

VV and Cueto are better options.