2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

As a Tennessee fan, no one was more disappointed with Dollander's year than me.  His command wasn't as sharp this past year, nor was his slider, but his stuff was still pretty great.  He often would run into problems in the 1st inning and then would typically settle down, which made it more frustrating because once he settled in, he'd start dealing.  With that said, I'm all in on Dollander if he falls to 15.  If we can get the 2022 version, we're getting a Top 3 pick.

hmm I think the tallest cumulative first three rounds the white sox could feasibly get would be

1 - Bryce Eldridge (6'7)

2 - Alonzo Tredwell (6'8)

3 - George Wolkow (6'7)

This would add I believe like 138" to the org.

• Like 2

Flipside, best short draft (first 3 rounds)

1 - Tommy Troy (5'11) SS

2 - Adrian Santana (5'11") SS

3 - Luke Shliger (5'9) C

tough for the short kings but I kinda like both drafts not sure if teams have drafted strictly on height yet but I may have something here.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

hmm I think the tallest cumulative first three rounds the white sox could feasibly get would be

1 - Bryce Eldridge (6'7)

3 - George Wolkow (6'7)

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Flipside, best short draft (first 3 rounds)

1 - Tommy Troy (5'11) SS

2 - Adrian Santana (5'11") SS

3 - Luke Shliger (5'9) C

tough for the short kings but I kinda like both drafts not sure if teams have drafted strictly on height yet but I may have something here.

This is the draft analysis I need.

Do we go the Schultz or Camilletti route?

I like Chase Davis as an underslot pick. But at the end of the day video only tells you so much. 
if you aren’t talking to the kids and getting a feel for them. Seeing them an entire 9 innings. How they interact with teammates. Behave in the dugout, etc. who knows. 

hostetler or whatever his name is sucks balls. I’ll never forget Madrigal saying he was surprised the Sox took him bc he “never talked to them.” I don’t know how that’s possible, but that’s what he said. This dummy is currently running our pro scouting department, I believe. 

On 7/7/2023 at 11:36 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

5 round Illinois draft:

1. Dillon Head OF Homewood Flossmoor HS

2. Parker Detmers RHP Glenwood Chatham HS

3. Dominic Voegele RHP Columbia HS

4.  Paul Bonzagni RHP SIU

5. Charlie Szykowny 3B UIC (Money saver)

Detmers only a junior.  

On 7/7/2023 at 9:34 PM, bmags said:

1 - Bryce Eldridge (6'7)

3 - George Wolkow (6'7)

My apologies.  Detmers reclassified.  

Happy draft day folks.

Pipeline's final mock. Some new names of interest mentioned here.

15. White Sox
Callis: Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi (No. 18)
Gonzalez performed for three years in the SEC and needs a home somewhere in the first round, and my guess is here. The White Sox could use a pitcher and are the high-water mark for Floyd, who struck out a record-tying 17 in the College World Series finals. They also could be the ceiling for a group of position players that includes Davis, Miami third baseman Yohandy Morales and high school shortstop Walker Martin.

Mayo: Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami (No. 20)
Morales had a huge year in Miami and his name has been all over the back half of the first round. In this last go-round, he’s getting the nod over Troy, Bradfield, Davis or Schanuel. A prep bat like Miller could still be in the mix.

Edited by DirtySox

Ty Floyd and Walker Martin scouting reports:

44. Ty Floyd
RHP

Ht: 6'2" | Wt: 194 | B-T: R-R

Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.9
BA Grade: 50/High
Tools: Fastball: 65. Slider: 45. Curveball: 45. Changeup: 50. Control: 50.

Floyd ranked as the No. 282 prospect in the 2022 class as a draft-eligible sophomore, but went unselected and returned to a loaded LSU team for his third collegiate season. A 6-foot-2, 200-pound righthander, Floyd has a quick arm, with an athletic and loose delivery and three-quarter slot. After pitching in the bullpen as a freshman, Floyd started half the time in 2022 and then transitioned to a full-time starter role in 2023, where he posted a 4.35 ERA over 91 innings, with a 31% strikeout rate and 9.6% walk rate. He entered legendary LSU status after he struck out 17 batters in eight innings against Florida in the College World Series finals. Floyd developed a reputation as a one-pitch arm thanks to the 81% usage rate of his fastball in 2022. He went to the pitch often for good reason. It averaged 94-95 mph this spring and touched 98, with excellent riding life and 19 inches of induced vertical break that generates tons of whiffs at the top of the zone. He did dial that usage rate down to just 70% in 2023 thanks to improved breaking stuff. Floyd throws a low-80s slider and an upper-70s curveball, and while they are both still fringy at times, he’s improved them enough to at least glimpse a potential average breaking ball in the future. Floyd also throws a low-80s changeup that’s mostly a change-of-pace look against lefties, but did generate a 44% whiff rate this spring.

24. Walker Martin
SS

Ht: 6'2" | Wt: 188 | B-T: L-R

Commit/Drafted: Arkansas
Age At Draft: 19.4
BA Grade: 55/Extreme
Tools: Hit: 55. Power: 50. Run: 55. Field: 50. Arm: 50.

Martin is one of the top prospects in the Four Corners region of the country, and in the 2022 summer showcase circuit he wowed scouts with a sweet, lefthanded swing. Martin has a lean and projectable, 6-foot-2, 185-pound frame and impressive feel for the barrel with line drive power in batting practice and some pull-side game power as well. He has sound hitting mechanics with quick bat speed through the zone and does an excellent job staying balanced in his lower half, with a steady, quiet head throughout his swing. Scouts raved about his hitting potential, and while he’s mostly a line drive, gap-to-gap hitter now it would be unsurprising to see him get to average power in the future. Martin’s 20 home runs this spring with Eaton High were tops in the country and he also hit .636. Martin has turned in above-average and plus run times in workout settings, and he’s also a terrific athlete with one of the best Loden scores in the prep class. A shortstop now, Martin will need to improve his hands and actions to stick at the position, but he could grow into the power that would allow him to profile nicely at third if he’s forced to move. The one glaring knock on Martin’s profile is his age. He’s one of the older high school players in the class and turned 19 in February. There hasn’t been a high school position player from Colorado drafted among the top three rounds this century, but Martin is in position to do just that. He’s committed to Arkansas.

Edited by DirtySox

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic