Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Spending $2.5 on Yogurt Sanchez and another $1+ million on Cespedes instead of analytics seems very much like a Hahn problem.

The Guardians can somehow manage it with 1/3rd or even 1/4 the budget.

How many heads could you add to the analytics department if you simply didn’t give Leury $5M per year and instead went with a pre-arb option?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How many heads could you add to the analytics department if you simply didn’t give Leury $5M per year and instead went with a pre-arb option?

Who exactly would have sufficed that is in this organization? Romy, who was I believe already hurt in the offseason? Yolbert, who hadn't shown signs he could do anything?

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn is a KW protege.  Paddy is the same background, scouting by the eye.

Why would it be shocking that he thought things were okay "as is" when nobody hold them accountable?

TLR and Dave Stewart were the same way.

It's like Grady Fuson vs. DiPodesta/Jonah Hill in Moneyball all over again.  But two decades later.

45 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Spending $2.5 on Yogurt Sanchez and another $1+ million on Cespedes instead of analytics seems very much like a Hahn problem.

The Guardians can somehow manage it with 1/3rd or even 1/4 the budget.

They should be spending that money on 16 year olds, but again that's a Jerry problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Who exactly would have sufficed that is in this organization? Romy, who was I believe already hurt in the offseason? Yolbert, who hadn't shown signs he could do anything?

Any replacement level player would have been better than giving Leury a 3/$15M contract Rick Hahn.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And you’re missing the point.  If we had a competent analytics department, we probably have at least one solid utility type player sitting in AAA.  Alternatively, we had Danny Mendick on a pre-arb salary even if Yogurt, Romy, Sosa, & Popeye weren’t quite ready yet.

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't get me wrong I'd take any opportunity to dunk on Hahn but the entire "braintrust" is an issue and each is partially responsible for this mess. 

Eno sarris said that it is not easy to install a more new school data driven player dev and stat department because old school baseball people are going to fight back. 

Eno said basically you need to clean house if you do it and fire several guys who are resisting basically telling them my way or highway. 

Sox also tried to install some more modern coaches like this lisle guy a couple years ago but it didn't work, probably because he wasn't able to get through the old school coaches. 

If you want to install a more modern structure you can't just add a couple smart brains, there is going to be resistance and there needs to be a gm who supports the new guys and cleans house if necessary, basically telling the old guys to do it the new way or leave. 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

I will fully acknowledge that La Russa is an abomination of a manger and has probably cost us a good 10 games this year.  That being said, the bigger threat to the long-term success of this organization is clearly Rick Hahn.  Here is a GM who is bad at scouting and doesn’t have the analytical muscle in his front office that the other Ivy League GMs have.  What does he bring to the table?  Locking up our young talent?  Even that well has dried up as of late.

Every year it becomes more & more clear just how incapable this guy is at building a serious World Series contender.  To have a $190M payroll in the AL Central and not be railroading the division is an absolute joke.  I’m still in utter disbelief that this dude failed to address any of our major needs this off-season with impact talent and still spent what he did.  Giving Leury 3/$15M should get Hahn blacklisted from baseball.  And then to do nothing at the deadline?  He actually fucks around thinking he can somehow get Ohtani and instead lets affordable LH bats like Naquin & Gallo go elsewhere.

And it’s not like Rick doesn’t get our issues.  The dude actually had the nerve to say “ball goes far, team goes far” but does absolutely nothing to address the lack of power.  Keep the hitting coach who not only said “fuck the HR” but who has an insane track record of groundball heavy offenses.  I don’t give a fuck that Hahn has somehow built a farm system incapable of landing us a rental OF who can hit HRs, but at a very minimum bring in a different hitting coach or change out some players within the organization.  There is no excuse for sticking with the same old bullshit and hoping for a different result.

At the end of the day, we can change managers and change hitting coaches, but we will have to get super lucky to ever win a Word Series with Hahn as GM.  Jerry needs to wake the fuck up and go get a successful small market GM and make him the President of Babeball Ops.  That is our only hope for baseball salvation on the south side of Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

As poorly as this organization is run I think people are a little naive with some of these comments. There’s no way the White Sox are run with a giant piggy bank with all of the $ coming out of the same place. There has to be separate budgets for separate things, that’s how any/every business is ran. The player payroll isn’t stopping this organization from hiring analytic people to sit in an office for 100K a year. 
Now, why the budget for analytics is so low is a good question. Do Hahn/KW not value it and that’s why? Or is that all of the budget they are given? Something we’ll probably never know 

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will fully acknowledge that La Russa is an abomination of a manger and has probably cost us a good 10 games this year.  That being said, the bigger threat to the long-term success of this organization is clearly Rick Hahn.  Here is a GM who is bad at scouting and doesn’t have the analytical muscle in his front office that the other Ivy League GMs have.  What does he bring to the table?  Locking up our young talent?  Even that well has dried up as of late.

This is the heart of the matter in one eloquent post.  Bravo!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And you’re missing the point.  If we had a competent analytics department, we probably have at least one solid utility type player sitting in AAA.  Alternatively, we had Danny Mendick on a pre-arb salary even if Yogurt, Romy, Sosa, & Popeye weren’t quite ready yet.

If anybody listened to the analytics department, TLR is never hired as manager, so what's the point?

• Like 1