Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

Hahn hires people who won't show him up (in skill level).  That's a common attribute a of bad leader/manager.  A successful manager hires the smartest and most skilled people he can,  even if they have the skills to surpass the manager.  In a successful organization, a leader using the Hahn approach won't last long.

The Sox heavily favor career relievers over converted starters for the pen.  It costs them.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Hahn hires people who won't show him up (in skill level).  That's a common attribute a of bad leader/manager.  A successful manager hires the smartest and most skilled people he can,  even if they have the skills to surpass the manager.  In a successful organization, a leader using the Hahn approach won't last long.

The Sox heavily favor career relievers over converted starters for the pen.  It costs them.

We really don't have a clue whether Jeremy Haber is a genius because he got into Stanford, lol.  Seems for now more like a Hahn "yes man" rather than having his own unique individual identity or personality.

If by the ASB, the Sox are still playing badly, Hahn should be fired. Don't wait for the end of the season. Just don't let him make any further decisions about the future of this team. If the ownership just sits on its hands, it will truly show it doesn't give a crap about this franchise. And there won't be any legitimate reason for any fan to go watch this team. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Highland said:

If by the ASB, the Sox are still playing badly, Hahn should be fired. Don't wait for the end of the season. Just don't let him make any further decisions about the future of this team. If the ownership just sits on its hands, it will truly show it doesn't give a crap about this franchise. And there won't be any legitimate reason for any fan to go watch this team. 

None of this is new. We already know all the answers here.

Hahn will not get fired, midseason or otherwise.  Ownership does not give a crap.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

While the attention and blame was being pointed to the corpse of Tony LaRussa, one week in and it's easy to see that Rick Hahn was probably more at fault for the Sox mess than people want to put blame at. 

Awful and expensive bullpen, a starting rotation that has zero pitch efficiency to get past 5-6 innings, a lineup lacking in HR power (and getting destroyed in your own park in that department). 

But let's hand out the richest contract in team history to a guy  who slugged under .400 last season.  🤮

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Hahn will not get fired, midseason or otherwise.  Ownership does not give a crap.

If JR were to fire Hahn, he would have to hire a replacement.  That's the last thing JR wants to do.  Hahn is his lawyer speak PR punching bag, why would he want to upset that balance?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spumoni said:

Yes, I already know ownership doesn't give a crap. All I am saying is this should happen. Problems need to be addressed, and if they are not, you will really see fan apathy.

True, none of this is new. That is the problem. None of this is new. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We really don't have a clue whether Jeremy Haber is a genius because he got into Stanford, lol.  Seems for now more like a Hahn "yes man" rather than having his own unique individual identity or personality.

“The issue with Rick is he’s got all these guys around him like Jeremy Haber (Author’s Note: Haber is the Assistant General Manager), friends from Michigan or someplace and they aren’t baseball guys. They didn’t play the game and have no real idea of what it takes. D.J. (Author’s Note: Sox broadcaster Darrin Jackson) and others have said the same thing.”

“I thought Hahn was prepared to do well, his last few years as assistant G.M. he was out on the road, watching guys, scouting, trusting what he saw. Then when he became G.M. he started getting guys like J.B. Schuck.”

“Rick won’t leave in part because his wife doesn’t want to leave the area unless it is for a job in California where she’s from.”

"I'll use a political term to describe Rick, he’s a ‘filibusterer.’ When Theo Epstein was running the Cubs everything he said meant something, if you went back to reread what he said you could read between the lines and figure out what he was saying. With Rick you heard what he said but then when you went back and reread his comments you realized he said less than you thought he did when he first spoke.”

“In 2016 when the rebuild started I thought he did the right thing and he deserved credit for that. I also thought at the time that giving out those long-term deals was good. No one could have foreseen how those contracts impacted those guys and their effort. But it was clear when Tony LaRussa was hired that Rick really is powerless. I just don’t have a lot of faith that he can get this done. And words matter, when he talked about “Multiple championships” and “Call me after the parade”…if you are going to be arrogant like that you need to deliver and he hasn’t.”

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“The issue with Rick is he’s got all these guys around him like Jeremy Haber (Author’s Note: Haber is the Assistant General Manager), friends from Michigan or someplace and they aren’t baseball guys. They didn’t play the game and have no real idea of what it takes. D.J. (Author’s Note: Sox broadcaster Darrin Jackson) and others have said the same thing.”

“I thought Hahn was prepared to do well, his last few years as assistant G.M. he was out on the road, watching guys, scouting, trusting what he saw. Then when he became G.M. he started getting guys like J.B. Schuck.”

“Rick won’t leave in part because his wife doesn’t want to leave the area unless it is for a job in California where she’s from.”

"I'll use a political term to describe Rick, he’s a ‘filibusterer.’ When Theo Epstein was running the Cubs everything he said meant something, if you went back to reread what he said you could read between the lines and figure out what he was saying. With Rick you heard what he said but then when you went back and reread his comments you realized he said less than you thought he did when he first spoke.”

“In 2016 when the rebuild started I thought he did the right thing and he deserved credit for that. I also thought at the time that giving out those long-term deals was good. No one could have foreseen how those contracts impacted those guys and their effort. But it was clear when Tony LaRussa was hired that Rick really is powerless. I just don’t have a lot of faith that he can get this done. And words matter, when he talked about “Multiple championships” and “Call me after the parade”…if you are going to be arrogant like that you need to deliver and he hasn’t.”

Not sure if they're counting Chris Getz as the dude from Michigan.

Next we're going to have Jim Thome sacrificed on the JR altar like they did with Ventura. 

Or maybe AJ Pierzynski?

I have to wonder about the conversations the guys in the front office must have . RH, "Well, what do we do now?' . KW. "Not sure, we have reached the limit of my abilities. 'What do you think?" . RH, "I really don't know' . JR, So, you guys are telling me.. RH and KW, "That's right, we still suck.'

23 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Ruiz was a converted catcher. Imagine returning a promising young pitcher you got in the rule5 draft and instead going with a catcher who can't spin the ball. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

... words matter, when he talked about “Multiple championships” and “Call me after the parade”…if you are going to be arrogant like that you need to deliver and he hasn’t.”

I remember reading this when you first published your work. Man, this hits hard now looking back over the past 3 seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Think how bad of a GM you must be when during your supposed contention window, your first roster pitching move of the season is bringing up a 29 year old with no major league experience and an ERA of 9.00.

Jon Adkins or Felix Diaz next?

Arnie Munoz has been working out in his backyard with his son and now up to 72-75 mph.

18 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And words matter, when he talked about “Multiple championships” and “Call me after the parade”…if you are going to be arrogant like that you need to deliver and he hasn’t.”

Look, I hate Hahn as much as the next person, but the parade line constantly gets taken out of context. He wasn't being arrogant. He was saying they haven't accomplished anything yet, so don't ask him if he's satisfied until after the parade.

There's an incredibly long list of reasons to dislike the dude and the job he's done, this ain't one of them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Look, I hate Hahn as much as the next person, but the parade line constantly gets taken out of context. He wasn't being arrogant. He was saying they haven't accomplished anything yet, so don't ask him if he's satisfied until after the parade.

There's an incredibly long list of reasons to dislike the dude and the job he's done, this ain't one of them.

It is another example of Hahn's arrogance. Much like his public comments to Garfein about Sox fans wanting the rebuild to fail so they can say "I told you so..."

I'm reminded of a scene in the movie The Alamo, where one of the main characters says to another, "Sometimes it's not what you say Buck, it's how you say it..."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think the Sox would be a lot better if they had a GM who knew how to put a baseball team together. 

What should happen should have happened over 10 years ago. A good baseball man outside the organization should have been hired to evaluate things and make some substantial changes. Instead, we got Hahn and Robin Ventura. Then Tony LaRussa. It's hard to have any faith when things just never change even when they are crying out for change. But no one knows more about baseball than Jerry Reinsdorf. This gets so boring because it has been going on for so long. And it will continue to go on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Highland said:

What should happen should have happened over 10 years ago. A good baseball man outside the organization should have been hired to evaluate things and make some substantial changes. Instead, we got Hahn and Robin Ventura. Then Tony LaRussa. It's hard to have any faith when things just never change even when they are crying out for change. But no one knows more about baseball than Jerry Reinsdorf. This gets so boring because it has been going on for so long. And it will continue to go on.

Until ownership changes, this will continue to happen year after year after year. 

• Like 2