GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That doesn't stop them from bringing Burger or Haseley up instead and them optioning them back when Robert is actually ready.  But yeah, its not really worth getting up in arms about but Sox continue to manage their roster in incredibility stupid ways. 

Why burn an option for a day or two?

1 minute ago, soxfaninfl said:

Why burn an option for a day or two?

That's not how options work.  They're used once per year.  Haseley and Burger have already been optioned.  In fact, Burger was optioned yesterday.

I literally think its as simple as Robert is close and was actually in the clubhouse, as oppose to having to fly Burger or Haseley to Chicago for 2 games they're highly unlikely to appear in.  

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I think everyone assumes so because he is playing CF.  Other than that fact I'm not sure anyone knows for certain.  

Also, maybe because we currently utilize guys who wouldn't have been fit to play RF in middle school. 

He's playing a lot more RF in Birmingham and still getting many many hits and hitting LHP very well too. Also a rifle for an arm. I'm less worried about his defense than I am his offense. Defense plays right away with a slight adjustment for learning parks. Offense against MLB pitching is always the hardest obstacle. Just have to wait to see how long he stays in AA. If the Sox don't promote him to AAA by September, they may not be considering him for the team this year, which would be a shame , IF he continues pummeling MiLB pitching.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's not how options work.  They're used once per year.  Haseley and Burger have already been optioned.  In fact, Burger was optioned yesterday.

I literally think its as simple as Robert is close and was actually in the clubhouse, as oppose to having to fly Burger or Haseley to Chicago for 2 games they're highly unlikely to appear in.  

Haseley likely would have been in yesterday late to save Sheets life. Now we're down two outfielders instead so that the Sox saved on airfare. Brilliant.

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Odds are very high that we'll see - 
- Leury in the lineup
- At least one of Vaughn and Sheets in the outfield
- Pollock on the bench

Sheets should always be playing at home. He's a monster offensively at home. Bench him on the road where he sucks. Analytic's department should've told TLR this stuff already but we have no idea if analytics is as awake as TLR is .

34 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Why would they not call Hasely up?

This has happened so much this year, I was joking to someone that they are trying to keep toys away from Tony.. If they called up Hassely, you know he would figure prominently in the next game or 2. Now I'm thinking, maybe my joke was actually right.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sheets should always be playing at home. He's a monster offensively at home. Bench him on the road where he sucks. Analytic's department should've told TLR this stuff already but we have no idea if analytics is as awake as TLR is .

Shelley Duncan is running the show.

• TLR 1

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You still only have 5 in a given one season.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The explaination  made no sense either. They could have called someone up, they do it all the time. Just more BS from the White Sox front office.

Chris Getz needs to be fired as well. He doesn’t know what he’s doing. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Wonder how bad things are with Robert. The Sox are not going to win the division without him.

Hes cleared to play, with how they baby these guys im sure hes 100%. Robert needs to demand to be in the lineup, it works for Abreu

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Which is precisely why someone wants Singer to shove it up the Sox rears. Known for his hatred of that pick and love of Kelenic .

I was very anti-Singer but should have learned from the Nola experience. Won't make that mistake again. 

35 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Brady Singer has given up 2 ER in 22.1 innings against the Sox the past 2 years for a 0.81 ERA. 

He's also pitching really well right now. We couldn't hit him when he was pitching like shit last year. 

I'm not saying Singer hasn't been dominating against us. I am just taking a stand against low quality posts that say things like "we have no chance" or "this should be a guaranteed sweep". That is not how baseball works.

9 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

You still only have 5 in a given one season.

Well they used one of those five on Burger yesterday, so yeah...I don't think that was a consideration and i doubt they're concerned about brining Haseley up and down 3 or more times the rest of the season.  

Ultimately, its not really worth getting worked up about, but plaything shorthanded for no reason is dumb.  That said, I think there may be something to the thought that the FO just wants to keep these guys away from TLR so he doesn't play them. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was very anti-Singer but should have learned from the Nola experience. Won't make that mistake again. 

Everyone has talked about Giolito's fastball this season, for example.

If you watch Joe Ryan today or Brady Singer at the time of draft, they were supposedly well short on stuff.

Yet Ryan has one of the five best BAA in all of the AL, including relievers.  Deceptive late movement at 90-92 and am impressive spin rate without sticky stuff.  Solid scouting by the Rays and moreso the Twins for projecting that it would still play at the big league level.  Not only is it deception and extension, but also about long vs. short arm action and how the ball comes out of his hand.

Nola at his best has that same quality/characteristic.

• Like 1