Ken Rosenthal: Stay Away Tony

DirtySox

Rosenthal: An Open Letter to Tony La Russa

This whole piece is wonderful and spot on. 

More in the actual article, which I assume is paywalled. Quoted a bunch of what seems relevant.

But Tony, it’s more obvious every day: Cairo is doing a better job. Yes, the team finally is getting healthier, the offense finally is hitting with power, the players finally are responding to the urgency of their situation, three games out in the weak AL Central with 20 to play. Maybe all that would have happened if you were still the manager. But Cairo is bringing energy. Communicating with players. Holding them accountable. All things maybe you thought you were doing. But evidently, weren’t doing well enough.

Under Cairo, no longer are there occasionally bizarre in-game decisions that spark outcry. No longer does the club operate as a fiefdom where the manager’s word rules above all. And most important, no longer are the players underachieving the way they did for five months.

Meanwhile, the question looms over the club: Are you coming back? You might say, “That’s up to the doctors.” But really, it’s up to you. Your reputation has taken a hit during your second tenure with the White Sox, even though the team won the division last season, your first as a manager since 2011. By stepping down, you could exit gracefully, show dignity and do right by owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who brought you out of retirement as a way of atoning for firing you in 1986.

There, Tony. I’ll say it. You should announce that you no longer will manage the White Sox. That you want only what is best for the team. And that what is best for the team is Cairo continuing in the position for the rest of the season, with your complete support.

Such a gesture, I know, is not in your nature. You are a fighter, always have been. And if you and Reinsdorf had been more self-aware, he would not have asked you to come out of retirement in the first place, and you would not have accepted. Reinsdorf’s loyalty is perhaps his finest quality. But his stubbornness in hiring you jeopardized the team’s competitive window. Beneficial as it might have been for you, Tony — and the way White Sox fans get on you, I’m not sure it was all that beneficial — the move was a disservice to the team’s front office, its coaches, players and fans.

Still, what did Cairo do after his first loss on his first night on the job, as first reported by USA Today? Call a meeting and call out players for their lack of effort. New expectations were set. The message, according to one player, was simple: Give me what you got.

Maybe you conveyed the same thoughts, Tony. But maybe some players needed to hear the message from a new voice. Not all — certain veterans, in particular, function just fine no matter who the manager is. But Cairo is only 10 years removed from his playing days. He walks up and down the dugout, talking to players, encouraging them. And though you speak fluent Spanish, at least one White Sox person believes that Cairo, a native Venezuelan, connects more naturally with the team’s sizable contingent of Latin players.

Other White Sox people think the team’s rash of soft-tissue injuries perhaps stemmed, in part, from the players’ lax approach — not always running hard, then asking too much from their muscles in short bursts. Such analysis is purely anecdotal. But the inference was clear: A team takes on the personality of its manager, and you did not hold the players to a high enough standard.

Your relationship with coaches was another issue. Most staffs today are highly collaborative. Your style is far more autonomous. Some coaches were OK with that, I’m told. Others were not. Your emphasis on hits and contact ran counter to the hitting coaches’ goals for achieving power through patience. Cairo cited his respect for you in explaining why he refrained from calling out the team sooner; clearly, he did not feel empowered to take a stand.

Cairo, at least so far, seems to have no such problems motivating players or including his coaches in his decision-making. His move of Elvis Andrus to the leadoff spot proved a master stroke, helping spark the offense. It’s impossible to say whether the White Sox are playing more freely because they’re winning, or whether they’re winning because they’re playing more freely. The defense, according to the leading metrics, is still rather flawed. And the way the Guardians, winners of five straight, are playing, maybe the Sox’s belated push under Cairo will prove to be too little, too late.

Doesn’t matter. Tony. You’ve got a chance to take the high road here, to back up the team-first ethos you’ve always preached. It’s actually an easy way out, and I’m fairly certain it would be well-received, because it’s the right thing to do.

https://theathletic.com/3593415/2022/09/14/rosenthal-tony-la-russa-white-sox-manager-future/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 9
  • Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

National guys don't need access to the White Sox, nobody on a national level cares about he White Sox.  

Wilbon was brought up in an other thread.  He is a huge cubs fan not a Sox fan at all so take his thoughts for what hey are worth, very little.

It was mostly a joke mocking the neutered Chicago media.

37 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ken bringing the heat today! 

"But Tony, it’s more obvious every day: Cairo is doing a better job. Yes, the team finally is getting healthier, the offense finally is hitting with power, the players finally are responding to the urgency of their situation, three games out in the weak AL Central with 20 to play. Maybe all that would have happened if you were still the manager. But Cairo is bringing energy. Communicating with players. Holding them accountable. All things maybe you thought you were doing. But evidently, weren’t doing well enough."

"Your relationship with coaches was another issue. Most staffs today are highly collaborative. Your style is far more autonomous. Some coaches were OK with that, I’m told. Others were not. Your emphasis on hits and contact ran counter to the hitting coaches’ goals for achieving power through patience. Cairo cited his respect for you in explaining why he refrained from calling out the team sooner; clearly, he did not feel empowered to take a stand."

Wow have we been blaming the wrong guy this whole time?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wow have we been blaming the wrong guy this whole time?

I was just going to mention this. It's the old drunk who wants contact, not Menechino

He also mentions La Russa has a ton of power (not surprising) with the organization and a lot of coaches don't appreciate not having any say in really anything

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Agree, it was kind of a weird piece for him to write. I loved it, and respect him a lot for it, but was out of character for him

Ken Rosenthal is clearly a closet Soxtalker.....time to call it out loud and proud Ken....FIRE TONY!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I was just going to mention this. It's the old drunk who wants contact, not Menechino

He also mentions La Russa has a ton of power (not surprising) with the organization and a lot of coaches don't appreciate not having any say in really anything

I don't buy that. We've seen way too much of Menechino's history with the Marlins for me to believe that it's a coincidence the White Sox are the exact same thing as the marlins were. 

I'm totally ok with the concept that Menechino and LaRussa are totally on the same page when it comes to hitting the ball on the ground the other way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Sounds like he pushed the Menechino theory to the extreme.  All of the sudden they are free, and hitting homers left and right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Rosenthal: An Open Letter to Tony La Russa

This whole piece is wonderful and spot on. 

More in the actual article, which I assume is paywalled. Quoted a bunch of what seems relevant.

https://theathletic.com/3593415/2022/09/14/rosenthal-tony-la-russa-white-sox-manager-future/

Beautiful.  What a mic drop.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't buy that. We've seen way too much of Menechino's history with the Marlins for me to believe that it's a coincidence the White Sox are the exact same thing as the marlins were. 

I'm totally ok with the concept that Menechino and LaRussa are totally on the same page when it comes to hitting the ball on the ground the other way.

They are 2 peas in a pod. I read an old article about Pujols the other day and when he was young Tony asked him if he would rather hit a ton of homers or hit .300. He went with HR. Tony told him hit .300, the HR will come. They did for him. But he's a freak.

Edited by Dick Allen

24 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

All these calls for TLR to walk away are only making his resolve to come back all the stronger. The guy is an ego maniac and a narcissist. No one is going to tell the great TLR to take a hike. 

All the more reason to watch him completely destroy his legacy. He will be gone way before any of us. We ultimately hold his future reputation with young fans. I know I’ll be sure to let younger fans know how overrated and extremely lucky he was as a manager over his shame of a career.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They are 2 peas in a pod. I read an old article about Pujols the other day and when he was young Tony asked him if he would rather hit a ton of homers or hit .300. He went with HR. Tony told him hit .300, the HR will come. They did for him. But he's a freak.

right, basically him and frank thomas it's a good approach for.

TLR is not and was not  going to return with heart issues and a new pacemaker installed, even if he wanted to.  Therefore "fire TLR "is a moot point and the article is a distraction for a team in the midst of a late play-off run.  Really, give up the TLR nonsense and move on. It has become a distraction.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

All these calls for TLR to walk away are only making his resolve to come back all the stronger. The guy is an ego maniac and a narcissist. No one is going to tell the great TLR to take a hike. 

Hawk Harrelson enters the chat.

Also, IIRC Kenny Williams sold his house and moved to Arizona last year. I don’t believe he’s had much to do with the day to day business of White Sox Baseball beyond advising and perhaps a special project here and there. Would consider this period ongoing and well deserved severance pay for having to live for over two decades under Jerry.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Rick and Kenny and JR hide. Every day the players and Cairo get asked about this guy. Take the burden off them. Rosenthal is right in so many ways, but because it's obvious,  Tony won't go for it.

It would nice to get someone, anyone really, to start asking tough questions to the front office.

• Like 1

After reading it again, so many things that stun me with how much of a “hit piece” this is (and not in a bad way).  The point about Cairo communicating better with Latino players, some coaches not feeling comfortable to express an opinion and the belief that the injuries were caused by frequent laziness.   It’s truly one of the more damming articles you will ever read regarding a coach’s status.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

After reading it again, so many things that stun me with how much of a “hit piece” this is (and not in a bad way).  The point about Cairo communicating better with Latino players, some coaches not feeling comfortable to express an opinion and the belief that the injuries were caused by frequent laziness.   It’s truly one of the more damming articles you will ever read regarding a coach’s status.

Again, it is a public confirmation that everything about the Tony LaRussa regime has been a worse case scenario.

[Qanon has entered the chat]

I would not be the least bit surprised if this "information" that Rosenthal got came from Rick, Kenny, or both.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tray said:

TLR is not and was not  going to return with heart issues and a new pacemaker installed, even if he wanted to.  Therefore "fire TLR "is a moot point and the article is a distraction for a team in the midst of a late play-off run.  Really, give up the TLR nonsense and move on. It has become a distraction.

The more info that comes out, the more pissed off all Sox fans should be regarding how much Tony destroyed this team.  He deserves every critical thing written about him.   It’s just too bad it took this long for a change to happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3