LaRussa retiring on Monday

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

The whole coaching staff is most likely be gone including Katz. Usually the new manager wants his own personnel. If Katz is gone Gio will probably be traded as well.

I’d be stunned if Ethan Katz isn’t the pitching coach in 2023. That wasn’t a La Russa hire. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d be stunned if Ethan Katz isn’t the pitching coach in 2023. That wasn’t a La Russa hire. 

If there’s one thing that is very White Sox, it would be telling their new coach that no, he doesn’t have the authority to hire his own staff.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Miguel Cairo, Frank Menechino, Howie Clark, Darryl Boston, Joe McEwing, Jerry Narron, Curt Hasler and Shelley Duncan. What an awesome coaching staff that was. Good riddance! 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Hate to break this to you but no Cairo isn’t managing this team next year sorry.

Yeah, keep giving the White Sox the benefit of the doubt. See how it works out for you. 

I also didn't say it was happening. You claimed it was "almost certain" until you edited your post. That's not true, and that's the point. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

I laughed audibly. I expect an apology for my wife yelling at me for waking her up.

This.

If the manager and GM aren't aligned on roster construction and overall strategy, then I feel like it's just another case study in inefficient organizational management.

Whoever is actually in charge needs to have his / her / their philosophy congruent with what is being taught all the way down the organization. Furthermore, what is being taught / preached down the organization needs to be congruent with what it takes to be successful as a baseball team (not this "you worked for 15 years as a personal janitor to the assistant to the traveling secretary, so you're being rewarded with a position of baseball significance" thing that JR does).

Naturally, the coaching staff needs to buy into whatever the GM has in mind, which should naturally be congruent with what the manager's hiring and teaching would also align.

If the manager and GM aren’t aligned on things philosophically, then they shouldn’t hire that person to be the manager 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pettie4sox said:

Sox fans deserve better.  Clean the house and hopefully a real GM can access this team, and hire a manager of his choosing.  That micromanaging bullshit from Jerry is the cause of this s%*#.

It's been going on for years in different areas, won't change now I'm guessing.  

4 hours ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Cairo lost the job when he called Jimmy Lambert to pitch and afterwards admitted he screwed up and  wasn't prepared to manage the game.

Cairo lost me with that move, a big unforced error to bring a rookie to protect a 3-1 lead-in the 7th.of the most important game of the year.  This game closed the curtains on the Sox season.  I was in favor of retaining Cairo before this game, but not anymore after the 7 losses that followed.  Send Cairo back to Egypt for all I care.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

Realistically, Williams and Hahn aren’t going anywhere. This is the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf we are talking about.
However, if Bernstein’s report is indeed true, then I agree with Matt Spiegel’s assessment, they need to bring someone from outside the organization to manage the team and have the ability to pick their own coaching staff without holdovers. Yes, even Katz.

Now I’m wondering who that is.

I don’t know either, but can’t be worse than TLR.

It wouldn't shock me if Katz is gone, if for no other reason than a 100% culture change. This team seriously needs a heart transplant, and the easiest place to start is a 100% turnover in the coaching staff. Katz did some good things, but there were also some disappointments in the staff. I'm fine whichever way that goes.

And for Giolito - seriously, who cares if he is traded? He is a bottom of rotation guy now.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead, or at least retiring on Monday
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to LaRussa retiring on Monday
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic