Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not really, no.  The kid is a DH in waiting who hasn't been able to consistently hit. What's the attraction?

Left-handed power bats are not that easy to find.  He will be on our bench (as he should be) before he is traded for nothing IMO.  

58 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not really, no.  The kid is a DH in waiting who hasn't been able to consistently hit. What's the attraction?

Simply being LH and having “power” is enough to delude some into squinting really hard and seeing a productive hitter where there really isn’t one.  Some see what they want to see, but the 2022 sample size is large enough to confidently say he’s not the answer to any legit need a supposed contending team has. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sheets has 13 homers and a .708 OPS. That's considered a power bat?

And is still horrendous at any defensive position you put him.  He hasn’t come remotely close enough to producing enough offense to make up for the atrocious defense.  He is AAAA DH/1B depth. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And is still horrendous at any defensive position you put him.  He hasn’t come remotely close enough to producing enough offense to make up for the atrocious defense.  He is AAAA DH/1B depth. 

Which he definitely should be retained to do. Sheets will get plenty of at bats next season even if the Sox actually fill the roster logically which results in him either starting in AAA or being sent to AAA in May when Colas arrives. Our DH is still Eloy who has proven time and again he won’t play 150+ games. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Simply being LH and having “power” is enough to delude some into squinting really hard and seeing a productive hitter where there really isn’t one.  Some see what they want to see, but the 2022 sample size is large enough to confidently say he’s not the answer to any legit need a supposed contending team has. 

Since he was sent to the minors and brought back he has a .784 OPS and 9 HR in 218 PAs. His BABIP is also a little low and that could be helped by the shift ban next year, so effectively that’s an .800 OPS pace. He was definitely a guy trying to hit weak ground balls the other way all the time in April and May, so a real hitting coach could help make that a real thing for him. From 1b that would be tolerable - a .750 OPS guy there is about 1 WAR and an .800 OPS guy there is about 2 WAR. Guys like Hoskins and Cron are getting $7 million a year for that production.

That’s not worth trading anything for, but if your roster is in a financial crunch next year (the Sox are) that isn’t the worst option I’ve ever seen.

For Gods sake though throw whoever suggests trying him in the OF out the nearest window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I mean MAYBE he develops into a guy who you can DH on a regular basis, but he has some work to do.  Even with the change in management, his numbers have actually slid hard in the last month.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean MAYBE he develops into a guy who you can DH on a regular basis, but he has some work to do.  Even with the change in management, his numbers have actually slid hard in the last month.

I mean, anything is possible.  Development isn't linear and I'm not saying he's a finished product.  Just that the Sheets of 2022 and before is not someone a legit contender pencils in at DH every day, let alone 1B or OF.  But since this is the White Sox, you never know what silly stupid things they try.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's why I said IMO.  I sure wouldn't be trading him for some aging RP.  

IMO he is WAY  more likely to be a AAAA type player who spends a decade mostly at AAA, but with the occasional trip to the majors on bad teams and with injuries.  I would trade him for a modest return for sure.

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

IMO he is WAY  more likely to be a AAAA type player who spends a decade mostly at AAA, but with the occasional trip to the majors on bad teams and with injuries.  I would trade him for a modest return for sure.

Well...we shall see.  Many players on this team have disappointed far worse than Sheets.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Well...we shall see.  Many players on this team have disappointed far worse than Sheets.

That's not wrong, but it also isn't hugely relevant.  Gavin Sheets should never be counted on as a mainstay.  He should be treated like found money, not an anchor fund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's not wrong, but it also isn't hugely relevant.  Gavin Sheets should never be counted on as a mainstay.  He should be treated like found money, not an anchor fund.

Who said anything about Sheets being a mainstay?  I said he won't be traded for an aging RP.  

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Who said anything about Sheets being a mainstay?  I said he won't be traded for an aging RP.  

Because if he isn't going to be an every day starter, you trade him for whatever value you can get for him and are happy about it.  Bench DH's aren't exactly a commodity around baseball.  if someone is willing to give you something useful, you take it.

52 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The best we have...and in limited play.

2022 featured maximum possible Sheets play (110 games w two weeks remaining). Gavin played nearly every game against RH starters despite the fact he can’t field a position. He can’t hit against LHP. Leury is a Silver Slugger Award winning hitter compared to Gavin’s .399 OPS vs. LHP.

As an everyday strong side platoon player, he delivered a 98 OPS + , and negative WAR because he costs you more runs playing OF than he puts up at bat.

Perhaps on a tanking team or a team without 4-5 other better DH type hitters, he could have a future role. The Sox need to play actual major league capable outfielders if they want to seriously contend.

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because if he isn't going to be an every day starter, you trade him for whatever value you can get for him and are happy about it.  Bench DH's aren't exactly a commodity around baseball.  if someone is willing to give you something useful, you take it.

What’s wrong with stashing Sheets in AAA? When Eloy is in your everyday lineup, it’s good to have someone who isn’t a complete blackhole ready to take those ABs. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2022 featured maximum possible Sheets play (110 games w two weeks remaining). Gavin played nearly every game against RH starters despite the fact he can’t field a position. He can’t hit against LHP. Leury is a Silver Slugger Award winning hitter compared to Gavin’s .399 OPS vs. LHP.

As an everyday strong side platoon player, he delivered a 98 OPS + , and negative WAR because he costs you more runs playing OF than he puts up at bat.

Perhaps on a tanking team or a team without 4-5 other better DH type hitters, he could have a future role. The Sox need to play actual major league capable outfielders if they want to seriously contend.

He will not be traded for an insignificant aging RP or a bag of balls.  Frankly...I doubt he will be traded at all.  There are many things to be disappointed about this season...Sheets is way down the list.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

He will not be traded for an insignificant aging RP or a bag of balls.  Frankly...I doubt he will be traded at all.  There are many things to be disappointed about this season...Sheets is way down the list.

Sheets is a huge part of why this team sucks against RHP. Relying on him as one the key lefty bats was an awful misstep for Hahn, as about 90% of this board told you repeatedly all offseason. 

Now, I will give you Yoan and Yaz forgetting how to hit left handed are bigger let downs (and surprises). 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Didn't see me mention anything about him being traded, or traded for nothing. He's fine as organizational depth in AAA, or if you can get a 5th starter for him, that would be a big win for the Sox.

The Sox don't need any more Diekmans or Kellys. 

• Quin changed the title to Where will Jose Abreu be in 2023?
  • Texsox locked this topic