2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I will be shocked if Jerry doesn’t have someone already lined up that will have a similar philosophy towards how baseball teams should be owned.

It took me a long time to shake the idea that I had always bought into...That Jerry may have ownership in the Bulls and White Sox, but baseball is his true love, and he is more  focused on the White Sox as a result. He has a real sick relationship with baseball though. That's not love.  It's abuse.  Best case scenario, he's like Pepé Le Pew. He may 'love' baseball, but not appropriately in order to be a good owner. His loyalty  is to his fat, moneyed peers. He could never ever relate to the White Sox fan in the seatd. He has never been able to convince people that he truly believes baseball is a public trust.

8 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Mets $348 million/$420 million luxury tax. It’s getting out of hand

The Met spend over 7+ times the money to spend as some of their rivals...and baseball claims to want competitive balance.  A hard floor and a hard cap are needed before the game is given up for dead.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The Met spend over 7+ times the money to spend as some of their rivals...and baseball claims to want competitive balance.  A hard floor and a hard cap are needed before the game is given up for dead.

Remember, the Pirates get an extra draft pick every year.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

Caps just promote wage suppression of players. It's not the Mets fault that no other owners are willing to spend like they are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

A salary floor absolutely makes the most sense. Make it 100 million

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

I would want a higher cap though. Higher than luxury number but lower than where the Mets payroll currently is. There’s so much money in the game I can’t really get mad at an owner who wants to spend.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

I've defended Bruce Levine in the past, but not anymore. He's a hack who needs yo hang em up. I've been waiting for the first shot at the fans. Sorry Bruce, they rebuilt. A decent amount showed up then. In 2020 when they first became pretty good, fans were not allowed to attend. In 2021, there was limited capacity for a portion of the year. Certainly it's not the fans fault only 2 million showed up to watch a mediocre at best product from whichever way you look. 

KW has used the same complaint. An amazing way to run a business.  If a restaurant operated like that and said it would make better food after people came to support the s%*# they made, they would be done in a week. JR just keeps adding piles of money into his estate.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

A hard cap might stop the richest of the rich teams from buying up every FA, but it does nothing to stop the cheap owners from pocketing revenue year after year and refusing to put out a competitive product.  JR would love a cap I’m sure, but he would still have zero incentive to spend in FA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would want a higher cap though. Higher than luxury number but lower than where the Mets payroll currently is. There’s so much money in the game I can’t really get mad at an owner who wants to spend.

True...but the variance between the extremes is obviously leading to half the league can't compete.

7 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Caps just promote wage suppression of players. It's not the Mets fault that no other owners are willing to spend like they are. 

Yep...what we need is a Cohen over in the AL.  We can open each season with the World Series between the Mets and their AL counterparts.  Then just play pickup games between everyone else.  I never thought baseball would be dead before me.

Folks the idea of a minimum payroll has been floated for years. The rub is the owners insistence that the only way they would consider a "floor" is with a salary cap. 

The MLBPA will NEVER agree to a cap...not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow. That is simply non-negotiable.

I agree it's very unfair for fans of the Pirates, A's, Marlins to see their owners collect millions and millions of dollars every year in revenue sharing money then claim hardship and not field competitive clubs.  

Perhaps a better solution instead of talking about floors and ceilings would be for MLB to order those owners/teams to start being competitive or force them to sell to an owner or group who will spend the money.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yep...what we need is a Cohen over in the AL.  We can open each season with the World Series between the Mets and their AL counterparts.  Then just play pickup games between everyone else.  I never thought baseball would be dead before me.

The AL does need a Cohen, preferably on the Southside sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

Yankees have been buying up FA for ages, are regularly tops in payroll, yet don't win the World Series every year.  Nor do the Dodgers for that matter.  Both have been doing it long before Cohen showed up on the scene.  And somehow baseball isn't dead yet.  Funny.

• Thanks 3
  • Hawk 1

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yankees have been buying up FA for ages, are regularly tops in payroll, yet don't win the World Series every year.  Nor do the Dodgers for that matter.  Both have been doing it long before Cohen showed up on the scene.  And somehow baseball isn't dead yet.  Funny.

That's the beauty of baseball. It's such a team sport it's impossible for one player to make or break a team. Does it make it easier? Sure, but we rarely see the best team win the whole thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The NBA and NFL have caps, somehow they work there. 

Destroying interest in your own sport by making competitiveness based on how cheap a billionaire is might not hurt in the short-term, but it's a bad long term play but the MLBPA.

This new CBA just doubled down on a broken league. Having to hope JR sells, what a great sport this is.

35 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The NBA and NFL have caps, somehow they work there. 

Destroying interest in your own sport by making competitiveness based on how cheap a billionaire is might not hurt in the short-term, but it's a bad long term play but the MLBPA.

This new CBA just doubled down on a broken league. Having to hope JR sells, what a great sport this is.

I never said that the cap doesn't exist, I said its design is to suppress player wages. I for one am very interested in how the Mets will fair after blowing past what any team has done before. I know their base and market is excited, deservedly so.