2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

19 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

found our bench 2B. loll  But in all seriousness... how bad is his D at 2B?  I assume unplayable esspecially with the no shifting?

The numbers say it's really bad.  And an aggregate -.5 WAR player over the last 3 seasons.
I wish we could free Leury like this and let Sosa et al learn the game playing utility infielder for a season..

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The numbers say it's really bad.  And an aggregate -.5 WAR player over the last 3 seasons.
I wish we could free Leury like this and let Sosa et al learn the game playing utility infielder for a season..

Sosa very well may be our starting 2B right now.  I thought that was what you wanted?  Certainly expect you to complain if any 2B is brought in to help solidify the situation.  

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am sure this is trash like the rest of them, but you are damned right that the Sox should be looking for the moon from the Mets.  Asking for top guys in blocked positions is actually a pretty smart strategy to try to get something done too.

Mauricio has good power from left side too. If the Sox could snag him it would be great. They'd have two savage replacements lined up for Moncada and Anderson in Montgomery and Mauricio.

If Hendriks market is hot, it's not an unreasonable ask.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Mauricio has good power from left side too. If the Sox could snag him it would be great. They'd have two savage replacements lined up for Moncada and Anderson in Montgomery and Mauricio.

If Hendriks market is hot, it's not an unreasonable ask.

They also have a lot of interesting pitching in their top 10 to 15.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am sure this is trash like the rest of them, but you are damned right that the Sox should be looking for the moon from the Mets.  Asking for top guys in blocked positions is actually a pretty smart strategy to try to get something done too.

Yep!!!

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

FWIW, I don’t see Fujinami as a significant contributor. Throws hard but has absolutely no clue where it’s going. Breaking stuff is okay but he has even less control over it somehow. Thrived for a good stretch this year by adding a cutter.

He’s one of the most famous NPB busts of all-time. He was actually drafted in the same year as Ohtani and teams were split on which was the better talent. He’s had a lot of people try very hard to get him on track, including Yu Darvish one offseason, but doesn’t seem to be able to apply his instruction to results with any consistency.

It’s possible that some MLB org evaluates him and thinks they have the key to unlock his potential, which at one point was considered vast, but that’s a long shot. As is, he’s a generic reliever in MLB.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They also have a lot of interesting pitching in their top 10 to 15.

Hendriks for Mauricio, Tidwell and Hartwig. 

Mauricio is a potential long-term answer at 2B or SS, Tidwell is a ways away but has a lot of upside, and Hartwig is an older prospect that has already reached the upper minors and helps with depth there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman