Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

Yep, let's take the guy that the Royals passed over twice to be manager.  This really does seem like none of the big names really wanted to come here and the Sox took what they can get.

But again, it doesn't matter much because Hahn is still driving the bus.  This screams, get ready for the rebuild years.  Again.

Edited by soulfly
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, shago said:

Don't agree with this at all. Hahn has had 10 years to prove he is a worthless pile of steaming dung. TLR may have been a bad manager during v 4.0, but Hahn's personnel moves have been downright horrific. This manager move is nice to distract, but doesn't solve the bigger front office problems, most notably, Rick fkn Hahn ...

My point is that if the Sox fail, it should remove any and all doubt in anyone's minds.

There will be literally zero excuse at all. Your mind is clearly made up. My mind is 80% made up. 2023 would remove doubt from the other 20%.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

BINGO. Sox always late to the party and don't bring a bottle for the hosts. Let's hire an analytics minded guy right after they ban the shift ! Ok I know there are a lot of other analytics out there but just another one of those seeds of failure planted long ago that doomed the rebuild.

Defensive positioning is still very important even without the "shift".

How is KC overlooking him that big of an issue?  They went with the experienced guys (Yost/Matheny), fired everyone now and the new people brought in their guy.  I'm not sure he was even fired by KC now and may have retained his job.  

Davey Martinez was overlooked often and he ended up just fine.

I liked Kevin Long but a month ago I had no clue who he was.

I haven't seen anything poorly stated about this guy and he seems to have what is needed....a pulse.

Hopefully he doesn't see any value in Shelley Duncan's analytical resume.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Heard back from a source just now asking for more info on Pedro:

I was hung up on the KC thing until I thought about the Rays hiring Kevin Cash and barely considering Dave Martinez. that's worked out well for everyone. 

I like that Grifol has worn a lot of hats. Charlie Montoyo as bench coach will be good. He got mircomanaged in Toronto and will feel liberated. 

I'm OK with bringing back Katz, albeit for only one year to see if he can get Giolito back to normal. 

No matter how well Grifol interviewed, it couldn't hurt he coached Getz and played with Mike Shirley.

There's the gross organizational nepotism connection.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'll go with the assistant hitting coach from one of these 2 teams.

I doubt it's Kevin Long because he just signed a contract last year reuniting him with Bryce Harper.

Now Alex Cintron has some ties to the Sox having played for them in 2006-07, but not sure either would make a lateral move to join the White Sox

Just now, Sarava said:

Yesterday I posted that i didn't want Grifol hired. I've had a change of heart. I'm good with this. Now Rick Hahn needs to do some serious roster repair this winter.

How do I know you're not going to come back tomorrow saying Hahn better not break up this roster?

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Does Brett say anywhere that Tony was involved in the process?  Just because he spoke to him, doesn't mean that Tony was in the hiring process.  I am sure it doesn't mean he wasn't either, but just because Brett recommeded the guy to TLR doesn't mean Tony was on the inside.  I am sure those guys know each from back in the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Does Brett say anywhere that Tony was involved in the process?  Just because he spoke to him, doesn't mean that Tony was in the hiring process.  I am sure it doesn't mean he wasn't either, but just because Brett recommeded the guy to TLR doesn't mean Tony was on the inside.  I am sure those guys know each from back in the day.

No idea missed that part of the conversation, just logged onto twitter and seems to be a lot of tweets out there with a hard no that TLR was not involved 

3 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

For what its worth, other than Kevin Long, these are the hitting coaches participating in the World Series--

Phillies Asst Hitting Coach:

Jason Camilli -

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jason_Camilli#:~:text=In 2021 he moved to,coach of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Astro Hitting Coaches:

Alex Cintron -

Troy Snitker (son of Braves manager Brian)

NBB would make sense if it was one of the assistant hitting coaches Camilli or Snitker.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

Yep, let's take the guy that the Royals passed over twice to be manager.  This really does seem like none of the big names really wanted to come here and the Sox took what they can get.

But again, it doesn't matter much because Hahn is still driving the bus.  This screams, get ready for the rebuild years.  Again.

Makes me think Katz isn't as good as we thought. The Sox passed on him once so far. His career is close to over. If he's still with the team after the next manager is hired he might as well go back to high school. 

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Makes me think Katz isn't as good as we thought. The Sox passed on him once so far. His career is close to over. If he's still with the team after the next manager is hired he might as well go back to high school. 

Think how crazy this is, Kevin Long was a popular Soxtalk candidate.  If the Phillies did exactly the same as they did this year, but they played by 2021 rules, they don't make the playoffs,  so the same guy some would be doing an Irish jig if they hired now would be bitching about settling. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey