Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why don’t we give the new coaching staff a chance to hold players accountable before acquiring a player with a bad contract to do so?  I get our spending has been bad and I’m not overly optimistic it will get much better anytime soon, but eating up 10% or more of our payroll space for the next three years on Perez seems like a crazy thing to do.

Is his contract any worse than Abreu's? 

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Is his contract any worse than Abreu's? 

Jose Abreu was a 3.9 WAR player last year and that followed up 2.9 and 2.7 in previous years. 

Salvador Perez was a 0.5 WAR player last year, following up 3.3 and 1.9 the previous years. Furthermore, his defensive performance has collapsed - he was one of the 5 worst catchers in baseball defensively, and he has been bad defensively 2 years in a row. 

Perez is still owed $62 million, more than Abreu.

Yeah, Perez's contract is worse than Abreu's. 

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jose Abreu was a 3.9 WAR player last year and that followed up 2.9 and 2.7 in previous years. 

Salvador Perez was a 0.5 WAR player last year, following up 3.3 and 1.9 the previous years. Furthermore, his defensive performance has collapsed - he was one of the 5 worst catchers in baseball defensively, and he has been bad defensively 2 years in a row. 

Perez is still owed $62 million, more than Abreu.

Yeah, Perez's contract is worse than Abreu's. 

I got 

4.2 - 3.0 -3.0 for Abreu career average 4.1

2.7-5.3-2.1 for Perez career average 4.2

Abreu is older but Perez has played a tougher position and may not age as well as Abreu seems to have. 

You move Perez to 1B/DH and he may out perform Abreu over the next 3 years. This coming year he splits time with Grandal at catcher and see how it goes.  He could catch twice a week moving forward and the bat could be enough to carry as a DH.  

I don't want either but to think Abreu's deal is magically going to result in a 36-39 year player not dropping off, same as Perez is foolish.  The Abreu deal looks good because it is Houston (maybe Cleveland maybe Boston) and they are the smartest team(s) in the room.  Except the GM's that built Houston are gone and Jim Crane is now running things.   I think that contract unfortunately looks bad very quickly.

Perez is getting crushed for framing, but had half the number of runners take off on him than Yas and a better passed ball score.

Based off the discussion on the board about how yaz was a classic example of analytics failing what we could all see, I am not surprised to see how it is now being used to showcase how it's failing perez.

oh noes

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Perez is getting crushed for framing, but had half the number of runners take off on him than Yas and a better passed ball score.

Based off the discussion on the board about how yaz was a classic example of analytics failing what we could all see, I am not surprised to see how it is now being used to showcase how it's failing perez.

oh noes

I wonder if something around Grandal and Perez would be doable. The Royals would save a few bucks this year and only have one year of commitment left. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wonder if something around Grandal and Perez would be doable. The Royals would save a few bucks this year and only have one year of commitment left. 

That's what I mentioned, swapping out for them a 3 year liability for a 1.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don'tknow but you would think if the Royals were truly interested in trading Salvy they could do so without having to take back one of the worst contracts in baseball.  

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don'tknow but you would think if the Royals were truly interested in trading Salvy they could do so without having to take back one of the worst contracts in baseball.  

$64 million for Sal Perez IS one of the worst contracts in baseball.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

The best teams have maybe what like 5-6 good bats in a lineup?

Why put so many resources into making one of those catcher for 130 games per year

That would be 30 more than the rest of our lineup can play

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think if Hahn offered Grandal for Salvy, the Royals would send in the paperwork before Hahn could change his mind. 

I honestly want nothing to do with Perez but it seems the Sox are interested. 

Perez has a much worse contract than Grandal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think if Hahn offered Grandal for Salvy, the Royals would send in the paperwork before Hahn could change his mind. 

I think trading for him would be a bad idea but lets not get crazy here.  The guy hit 71 home runs the last 2 years and Grandal is literally useless.  

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

a 1/18 million is one of the worst contracts in baseball? You say a lot of silly things.

Yes, he was atrocious last year... but it's only a 1/18... it isn't going to hamstring long term franchises like other deals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's honestly an interesting idea/proposal

23 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

A Grandal for Perez swap straight up makes no sense.  If the Royals sent something else, like money or some decent prospects, maybe it makes more sense?  I don't know.  It just seems like a weird trade rumor.

Blown away by this acting like Perez is bad because he's being downgraded for the very reason you all think grandal was overhyped.

It's like people saying yadi was bad at defense last 5 years. Nobody who watched the game believes that. Perez controls the game behind there, we haven't had that in ....

The Rosenthal blurb said the Royals weren't trading Perez. That said, to any non-Royals team, that's a terrible contract.  If the Sox are gonna throw that kind of money at some Royal, I'd prefer Benintendi.  You might be able to get him for 3/60 and he hits left-handed.  I don't think this is in the realm of possibility, but if it did, boy, would that be a bad idea.

Edited by Timmy U
typo