Hahn content with 2B options

southsider2k5

Just now, oldsox said:

There's only one way to find out if our rookies can play at major league level.

Yeah but this can inherently create a higher possibility of an offensive black hole.

Some sort of competent option should have been brought in, that way if the rookie significantly outplayed them then your decision is made. Now were hoping for competence from rookies and Leury. 

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I know we like to complain and all, but what else is he supposed to say?

@raBBit had a good post addressing second base possibilities in the other thread.

It’s just hard to take his empty statements seriously any more.  They are content doing nothing at 2B.  Hooray!  Exciting stuff there Rick. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It’s just hard to take his empty statements seriously any more.  They are content doing nothing at 2B.  Hooray!  Exciting stuff there Rick. 

I don't take anything he says seriously anymore and haven't for the last few years. He has zero credibility. I wish he just wouldn't say anything then insult the fan base with his inane comments.

• Like 1

I don’t think I the headline is really all that reflective of the key quote:

"If, in the end, we're choosing from Romy and Lenyn, with Leury as a potential backup – that's something we certainly feel gives us an opportunity to win, but at the same time isn't going to necessarily preclude us from looking at ways to get better."

That’s not really saying they’re satisfied, and it’s also like, you’re not going to go on record saying these guys are s%*#.

This is a classic Hahn interview where h says absolutely nothing; I’m not reading into it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I know we like to complain and all, but what else is he supposed to say?

@raBBit had a good post addressing second base possibilities in the other thread.

Yep.  I think the part about whoever they acquire being able to cover multiple positions/the OF is very important.  Whoever you bring in, you need to hope that Sosa or even Romy still either wins that job outright, or takes it from them early in the season.  Therefore being able to cover another position, and/or adding to the RF mix until Colas arrives / future Colas insurance is very important. 

If they go the cheap bargain bin FA route, I am hopeful that the new coaching staff won't repeat the Harrison situation of continuing to run that guy out there most of the season if it isn't working. 

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I don't take anything he says seriously anymore and haven't for the last few years. He has zero credibility. I wish he just wouldn't say anything then insult the fan base with his inane comments.

Its literally his job.  You suggest he just stop doing his required media sessions?  Lol. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its literally his job.  You suggest he just stop doing his required media sessions?  Lol. 

same plan they have for Sox Fest, at least there we have/had others to talk to.

1 minute ago, MEANS said:

same plan they have for Sox Fest, at least there we have/had others to talk to.

And they get roasted for not having SoxFest, for good reason. They talk, they get roasted. They don't talk, they get roasted.

Now, there is plenty to roast them about. But I am not sure what exactly Hahn is supposed to say when he's asked about a 2B? "Romy and Sosa simply are not ML-caliber players - we must acquire a 2B"?  Not only is that bad mouthing your own, but its also theoretically impacting leverage.

There is plenty to roast RH and the FO about.  But this really isn't one of them.  Also, ST doesn't start for like 6 weeks.  Plenty of time left to finish off the roster. 

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

I think we as Sox fans are just a little fed up with his empty platitudes, and it’s a fair place to be.  Of course he isn’t going to say that the guys in line to fill 2B suck, or that the plan sucks, or that he’s a feckless incompetent boob that can’t get anything done with what little he has to work with.  Still, it all just rings hollow at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has probably been one of Hahn’s better off-seasons from a communication standpoint.  He basically told us up front payroll wasn’t growing and that large free agent expenditures were unlikely.  So far, he’s exceeded the very low expectations he set.  This is preferable to saying we have “unprecedented financial flexibility” and then be maxed out after signing Yasmani Grandal and Dallas fucking Keuchel.

• Like 1