Ghost runner rule now permanent

Tnetennba

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The length of the games should drop significantly this year. I think, since most concession stands have been closed up, beer sales have stopped, the teams couldn't care less how many people are in the stands for the 13th inning. The rule is there so they won't burn pitchers. If that's the case, why not do it in the postseason as well? 

Yeah, I’d be totally okay with it on the post-season. I agree consistency is better — it should either be part of the game or not. Keeping out of the lost important games is almost a tacit admission that that the league even sees it as a worse/inferior version. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

There are better ways to speed up the game though.  Pitch clock (coming), cutting down on pitching changes (already in effect), shorter commercial breaks (god forbid!), making the batters stay in the box (and actually enforce it).  I could go on.

It is what it is, and I get how marathon games aren't great for the players but at least give the game 2 more innings to finish organically before this BS.  

Yeah, it needs to be a multi-faceted approach, for sure.

My sense, anecdotally, from working in a ballpark every day when the rule was first implemented in AAA, was there was a palpable and immediate reduction in the amount of people that remained engaged and in the ballpark. I would fear you’d still lose a lot of those people if you waited a couple innings. I do think the benefits are more significant to the in-park crowd than the broadcast crowd.

At the MLB level, I didn’t notice the same huge difference last year, but where I am, there aren’t currently a ton of reasons to stay real late anyway.

On 2/14/2023 at 3:50 PM, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah, I’d be totally okay with it on the post-season. I agree consistency is better — it should either be part of the game or not. Keeping out of the lost important games is almost a tacit admission that that the league even sees it as a worse/inferior version. 

We survived the DH only being in AL ballparks for a couple decades. Having different rules in the post season isn't a big deal to me. 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:34 PM, Texsox said:

We survived the DH only being in AL ballparks for a couple decades. Having different rules in the post season isn't a big deal to me. 

Me neither the ghost runner rule is to try to preserve the health of all players and make the season less of a grind. In hockey the OT is 3 on 3 in a 5 minute period. In the post season they go back to 5 on 5 and a 20 minute period. Once you make it to the post season in both sports it's who can prove they are the best despite exhaustion and fatigue so talent plus stamina has more of a chance to win out.

• Like 1