Andrus to the Sox, expected to play 2B, 1 yr, $3 mil

Heads22

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

As I suspected Sox DFA Sousa and expose him to waivers rather than using the 60 day IL for Liam or Crochet. Gonna stick with my hot take that Liam will be back pretty quick, they’ve really telegraphed it. 

Going off the past two years roster construction/injured list usage leads me to believe they don’t know what the f*** they’re doing. 

Edited by ShoeLessRob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Hawk 2

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Odds are heavily favored  ? Who is making odds on the White Sox 2nd base candidates MLB performance in 2023 ? Fangraphs uses 7 different projection systems and they have Andrus from 1.0 to 1.9 fWar next year.

These same systems say Romy is projected for.1 - .9 fWar and Sosa .3 to 1.6

I'd say the chances are much higher that Andrus gets to 2 fWar since like, ya know, he did it last year in MLB rather than Sosa or Romy (lol) who have never ever been in the majors for any length of time.

Common sense should tell you that instead of your own made up musings about the odds regarding the performance of 26 yr old Romy and the not ready yet Sosa.

The numbers tell you this information. As has been laid out in numerous posts not only in this thread but on this board, Andrus hasn't been good for quite a while. I am not taking his fluky 43 game sample size with us last season that its what were getting moving forward.

He is also about to be throw into a position hes literally never played before in the MLB.

There's plenty of reason to be skeptical of this signing and what were going to get from him, its not just made up thoughts.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

The numbers tell you this information. As has been laid out in numerous posts not only in this thread but on this board, Andrus hasn't been good for quite a while. I am not taking his fluky 43 game sample size with us last season that its what were getting moving forward.

He is also about to be throw into a position hes literally never played before in the MLB.

There's plenty of reason to be skeptical of this signing and what were going to get from him, its not just made up thoughts.

I’ve never heard of a solid defensive SS not being good at 2B. Most solid shortstops can play pretty much anywhere. 

And if Andrus struggles at the plate, Romy will get a shot, which is right where we would have been without this signing. 

Also, we have a backup plan for SS now in case TA gets hurt. 

I really don’t see any reason to not like this move, unless you think he will struggle and continue to be in the lineup all year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’ve never heard of a solid defensive SS not being good at 2B. Most solid shortstops can play pretty much anywhere. 

And if Andrus struggles at the plate, Romy will get a shot, which is right where we would have been without this signing. 

I really don’t see any reason to not like this move, unless you think he will struggle and continue to be in the lineup all year.

I don't expect him to struggle and be left in the lineup. I expect him to be DFA at some point this year. I don't like the move simply because its just not necessary. Our season wont make or break by the position of 2B and I would rather see younger players with more upside get the opportunity right away rather than watching Andrus. Especially in the off chance that he does struggle and they keep throwing him out there.

I hope he kills it, that would be awesome. Nothing suggests that will be the case.

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Desperate for ticket sales is my guess…but you know what could solve that….actually opening up the check book on a real superstar 

Agree, I bought into their BS when the talk of Machado heated up.  If they were to ever sign a real superstar they would see a BIG uptick in ticket sales.  But why even bring it up, it's not happening with this owner.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Kind of like Pollock playing RF?

Well, I'd bet on Andrus at least being average at 2B over KNOWING Pollock would be an epic disaster in RF and would be run on nearly every opportunity by CLE.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

For those who didn’t look at this, Elvis Andrus’s 2022 White Sox stint was the flukiest thing I’ve seen in stats recently. When he joined the White Sox, his exit velocity went down, his ground ball rate went up, his strikeout rate didn’t change, his walk rate dropped dramatically, his launch angle went down, but suddenly his home run rate went up to 20% of his fly balls, which would have been among the top HR hitters in baseball and which is totally unsustainable for a guy with a 6.7% career mark on that. This was statistical payback for Cesar Hernandez, who they acquired after he had a huge HR/FB rate and they were astonished that it went back to normal when he came to the Sox. If the mechanical fix helped him hit more weak ground balls, then it was almost successful except for a few fly balls that went over the fence.

Giving a guy a starting job after a fluke HR/FB season is a Hahn move to the letter. It’s why they acquired Hernandez. It’s exactly what they did with Kimbrel. Can’t ever look past the first row on the MLB.com stats, that’s nerd territory. 

If anyone wants to bet me that he will have 500 plate appearances and a HR/FB rate over 15% this year, let me know what the terms are. That’d be a big drop from last years Sox performance. Go for it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "for once I don't hate this move." I didn't want that Pirates guy. Elvis seems like a real player. Not saying he will be, though.

• Haha 1

This is solid. Shows you how bad Leury for multiple years was. Good defense and range with shift going away. Cheap cost and if Romy or others beat him out he is a good defensive vet off bench. 

Still - this should have been as a bench move or after they upgraded elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is "for once I don't hate this move." I didn't want that Pirates guy. Elvis seems like a real player. Not saying he will be, though.

Frazier for more money?  Same thing as Andrus, take of two completely different seasons in 2021 and 2022.

Hard to trust a compromise number in the middle is the likeliest scenario.

Does provide LF/2B option at least in terms of positional versatility.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is solid. Shows you how bad Leury for multiple years was. Good defense and range with shift going away. Cheap cost and if Romy or others beat him out he is a good defensive vet off bench. 

Sad thing is Andrus is likely to have quite a few more stolen bases than Yoan when Moncada was once universally touted as a 25/25 or even 30/30 guy like Chisholm flashed last year.

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Weirdly enough andrelton Simmons was awful at 2B last year

1 minute ago, bmags said:

it is kind of astonishing how quickly he went from defensive wizard to bad without any real injury. 

I mean he's been out of his defensive prime for about half a decade now. We'll see what Tim looks like post 28. There's a lot of wear and tear on the body playing up the middle and even if you don't suffer a major injury little ones add up with age.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean he's been out of his defensive prime for about half a decade now. We'll see what Tim looks like post 28. There's a lot of wear and tear on the body playing up the middle and even if you don't suffer a major injury little ones add up with age.

I also didn't realize how few attempts he had at 2b. I mostly just saw him being bad on the leaderboard. He'd probably have been much more gradual descent as he was still seen as strong by oaa, it was really just DRP that started to hate him in MN.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I also didn't realize how few attempts he had at 2b. I mostly just saw him being bad on the leaderboard. He'd probably have been much more gradual descent as he was still seen as strong by oaa, it was really just DRP that started to hate him in MN.

Yea I think he was probably over rated initially (given what we know about defensive stats now, say compared to 2014) and he's just followed a normal non PED aging curve.

• bmags unpinned this topic