2023-24 NFL Season Thread

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah, though I would say some of this is just what annoys me about nfl dialogue. All offseason you'd hear people talk about how fields needs to improve his passing and stay in the pocket more so he can stay healthy. And then they hear the coaching staff is trying to get him to stay in pocket more and its like "LOL WHAT MORONS THEY SHOULD JUST RUN HIM".

Fields can be better than this and needs to play more instinctively. But some teams will take away his running and he has to make them pay early 

To my half-assed informed eye it seems that his weakness was in recognizing when to take short yardage and then they overcorrected, and now he doesn't trust what he sees. I'm sure it's probably deeper than that but that's how it looks to me.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I want to say that the Bears worded their statement that they weren’t raided  -yesterday-

What exactly did they say? Sorry to ask others to do the work on this.

There are cute ways you can word things to make it seem like a denial. Say, perhaps they allowed the FBI (or whoever) access to the office without a warrant or something along those lines. Then they can say they weren’t raided.

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

What exactly did they say? Sorry to ask others to do the work on this.

There are cute ways you can word things to make it seem like a denial. Say, perhaps they allowed the FBI (or whoever) access to the office without a warrant or something along those lines. Then they can say they weren’t raided.

It was relayed on the score yesterday and I heard two different things, one “it didn’t happen” and the other “we didn’t get raided this morning”

another crazy thing is even the media is getting multiple stories.  Laurence Holmes said three different sources gave him three different stories, and with him being a former beat reporter you have to think he is talking to some people in the know

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

It was relayed on the score yesterday and I heard two different things, one “it didn’t happen” and the other “we didn’t get raided this morning”

another crazy thing is even the media is getting multiple stories.  Laurence Holmes said three different sources gave him three different stories, and with him being a former beat reporter you have to think he is talking to some people in the know

It’s hard to believe at this point that something illegal didn’t occur. What it was is still unknown. I know the Bears’ statement on Williams leaving pretty much just said that he’s no longer with the team. They didn’t wish him luck or anything showing support, which screams that it’s not just Williams bowing out.

Just now, Milkman delivers said:

It’s hard to believe at this point that something illegal didn’t occur. What it was is still unknown. I know the Bears’ statement on Williams leaving pretty much just said that he’s no longer with the team. They didn’t wish him luck or anything showing support, which screams that it’s not just Williams bowing out.

The only other thing though would be a Mel Tucker situation, which may not be a criminal investigation but still may end up with AN investigation of some bad behavior.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

The only other thing though would be a Mel Tucker situation, which may not be a criminal investigation but still may end up with AN investigation of some bad behavior.

It also could be a family member or someone living at his house was doing something henious. The entire thing is weird. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

Has to be much, much worse than some unwanted sexual harassment. Tucker got in trouble because of Title 9 and dipping his stick in the company pool.  FBI doesn't get involved in that sort of thing. I'm not going to speculate beyond that, we'll see what he did.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Has to be much, much worse than some unwanted sexual harassment. Tucker got in trouble because of Title 9 and dipping his stick in the company pool.  FBI doesn't get involved in that sort of thing. I'm not going to speculate beyond that, we'll see what he did.

I'm discussing a situation where the FBI is not involved, because regardless of McAfee it is really still not confirmed.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

yeah, though I would say some of this is just what annoys me about nfl dialogue. All offseason you'd hear people talk about how fields needs to improve his passing and stay in the pocket more so he can stay healthy. And then they hear the coaching staff is trying to get him to stay in pocket more and its like "LOL WHAT MORONS THEY SHOULD JUST RUN HIM".

Fields can be better than this and needs to play more instinctively. But some teams will take away his running and he has to make them pay early 

This has already happened. Tampa did an excellent job of not breaking containment last week on defense. A smart D coordinator is going to scheme to make Fields beat you with his arm. 

The dude has to learn to be a much better passer out of the pocket. There is no way around this. Him running around all game is very entertaining and fun to watch but he is gonna get killed if he is running 10-15 times every game. The guy isn't built like Cam Newton. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm discussing a situation where the FBI is not involved, because regardless of McAfee it is really still not confirmed.

David Haugh is saying it's really bad. There's a ton of smoke. Right now my Bayesian position is moving further and further towards the raid def happened. We'll see.

51 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

This comes at an awful time for the Bears in more ways than one. And if it comes out that they were being evasive and cutesy with their responses, I feel like it’s going to turn a lot of fans against them.

You figure, the Bears fans locally are already angry enough with the team. It’s like our fans’ opinions of the White Sox, how much angrier can you really get when the f*** ups keep piling on top of each other? We may see quite a few empty seats two weeks from now. 

The comments from Fields brought all of the problems to a national stage. Now a larger audience can see how dysfunctional the Bears are. That’s not even including whatever comes of Williams’ resignation; which many have been guarded to comment on. This could get a lot worse

• Like 1

I'll just says this - Poles gets a point for today getting out there, which is not historically what Bears GM's have done.  Clearly there are reason(s) they can't say much on Williams - that is becoming evident.  But I can't argue with how he handled any of the other messaging.  Proof is ultimately in the pudding - but I thought he said all the right things.  

Note: Rick Hahn usually said the right things too - but than after years of building your own thing - words only matter so much. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t believe the team would cut him off the way they have if he wasn’t involved

Agreed if it was health, other family issue or minor infraction he isn't wiped clean so quickly and remains on leave especially if it's health.  Nate Davis is a prime example of that.  

The silence on the legality of it to me speaks volumes.

FBI probably didn't raid Hals Hall but informed them that there is an issue and confiscated his belongings.

The professionalism with Poles and hopefully Warren are needed here.

• Like 1