2023-24 NFL Season Thread

37 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No one can answer this question for Fields after 3 years, but you expect a prediction for a QB that hasn’t played one NFL game yet?

I agree - I actually think it is the opposite. If after 3 years you have to ask - than the answer is they aren’t. None of the top guys was anyone asking that question after 3 years. They may say are they number 2 or number 6 in the league but there is usually a ton of alignment that they are legit. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is the Bears OL really that bad or does Fields’ style of play make them look much worse than they are? I’m in the camp of the latter but that’s just me.

Two separate issues, but I don’t believe that tweet for a second. Anyone with working eyes can tell you Love had much more of a pocket snd time than Fields yesterday. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Two separate issues, but I don’t believe that tweet for a second. Anyone with working eyes can tell you Love had much more of a pocket snd time than Fields yesterday. 

I actually do. I think on Fields sacks - they were on the oline. But watch how Love moved within the pocket and how quickly he got the ball off. Meanwhile watch a ton of plays where Fields held it forever and ran around and basically ended up with nothing (not a sack and a throw away or a short run). There were quite a few of those and It is damning in my mind - cause he can’t freaking read a defense and get the ball out. Guys were open…but open to Fields is different than open to a good nfl qb. 

21 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’m echoing what people want that Fields apparently can’t do and making that the measuring stick for Williams or Maye. I still think Fields can put it together and don’t think we’ve seen him at his best yet. I don’t know what system is going to be the best for him, but I would like to see what a Getsy getting canned and adding more talent around Fields would do. But I am also accepting the fact that the Bears could move on from Fields.

It’s been 3 years.  If Fields still has to fit a “specific system” at this point, he’s not the guy.  Talent rises to the top regardless.

It’s so hard this draft - cause what I really want is an elite qb, elite wr and elite lt. Yeah I am greedy…but this is a draft that has all 3 available in top 10 and we have 2 picks. 

In free agency - Lts don’t make it, wideouts do ocassionally and they also hit from time to time later in draft. 

So right now - I think my top 2 picks are qb and lt. Am totally fine with trade down too and a different order. Too bad Fields isn’t it cause if he was they could have had all 3 (plus a future 1st). 

Jones is nice an all for a late round pick - but in my lifetime Bears haven’t had a book end LT. Hopefully one of these two is that. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I actually do. I think on Fields sacks - they were on the oline. But watch how Love loved the pocket and how quickly he got the ball off. Meanwhile watch a ton of plays where Fields held it forever and ran around and basically ended up with nothing (not a sack and a throw away or a short run). There were quite a few of those and It is damning in my mind - cause he can’t freaking read a defense and get the ball out. Guys were open…but open to Fields is different than open to a good nfl qb. 

So actual time with the ball in his hand yes I can believe it. I guess I just read the tweet a little differently, like it infers that Justin had more to work with than Love did, which I don't think was the case at all. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is why the whole thing gets fun, because then you have tweets like this:

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

So actual time with the ball in his hand yes I can believe it. I guess I just read the tweet a little differently, like it infers that Justin had more to work with than Love did, which I don't think was the case at all. 

To your point - I don’t think Bears pass rush got to Love but part of that is a credit for Love and how he climbs and moves in the pocket. 

The inverse is Bears were down and out and Packers had no concern bringing heat on Fields. And this is a Packers secondary that is bottom of the pack. But they trusted the fact that with their defense and a blitz fields wouldn’t process in time and make them pay. They were right. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

This is why the whole thing gets fun, because then you have tweets like this:

If you hold it for 10 seconds and cant find someone and than eventually a dline gets to you…it still counts as a pressure. Fields had a lot of those (not 10 seconds I’m clearly exaggerating but where he had a ton of time). 

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is the Bears OL really that bad or does Fields’ style of play make them look much worse than they are? I’m in the camp of the latter but that’s just me.

I saw several times yesterday where Fields had no chance and would have been throwing it out of bounds or getting called for intentional grounding.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is fields after 3 years though. Maybe where fields is now after 2 is realistic for a franchise QB. 

Even if Maye or Williams is selected that high?

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s been 3 years.  If Fields still has to fit a “specific system” at this point, he’s not the guy.  Talent rises to the top regardless.

That is one argument. I don’t think I’m arguing for a specific system as much as I am wanting a different OC, another left tackle and a stud WR to go with Fields.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If you hold it for 10 seconds and cant find someone and than eventually a dline gets to you…it still counts as a pressure. 

Oh, I get it. It's just fun looking at the fallout from every angle because it basically all boils down to "boy Getsy sucks."

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh, I get it. It's just fun looking at the fallout from every angle because it basically all boils down to "boy Getsy sucks."

And he does suck…but elite players would still overcome that. 35 games with no 4th quarter heroics. I can’t remember much anything he did special in a 4th quarter. His best moments are drives where he converts like one first drive to run out the clock on a pass. Nothing where I can recall a long 7 minute drive to ice the game or a big 80 yard drive to overcome s%*#. 35 games is a lifetime in the NFL. To have none is so hard to do as a starting qb. He has none. 

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Love didn't need it as he made the decision faster. 

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

And Getsy does suck…and maybe Packers also really know that scheme so that helps them…but I’m sick of excuses. Fields had to be better this year and a lot better when you think of how bad he was last year…and guess what he wasn’t good, he was mediocre at best…and most would say he was bad cause statically he’s in bottom 3rd of the league in every stat that matters.

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I saw several times yesterday where Fields had no chance and would have been throwing it out of bounds or getting called for intentional grounding.

Even if Maye or Williams is selected that high?

That is one argument. I don’t think I’m arguing for a specific system as much as I am wanting a different OC, another left tackle and a stud WR to go with Fields.

A franchise QB can make up for a lot of problems. 

Thought experiment.

I believe after yesterday most are ok with the QB draft:

For those who are fully convinced, is there a price you still make the trade? The Pats offer 3 firsts and 3 seconds, so you still draft Williams? 4 firsts?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thought experiment.

For those who are fully convinced, is there a price you still make the trade? The Pats offer 3 firsts and 3 seconds, so you still draft Williams? 4 firsts?

To move up two spots?  Seems like an insane amount of draft capital.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thought experiment.

I’d move down at that price. 

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thought experiment.

I realize Belichick may or may not be with the Patriots by the draft, but when do the Patriots ever trade multiple picks to move up in the draft?  Their strategy is to almost always trade down and collect multiple picks.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To move up two spots?  Seems like an insane amount of draft capital.

I’m imagining that the team decides they’re willing to be stupid for a franchise QB. 

Would you say no to that? What does it take for you to say yes if you’re 💯 in on Williams right now?

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thought experiment.

Of course there is. And I think anyone who says differently has blind hate to Justin or irrational love to Williams. They can win more games with Fields still at QB with a better cast around him. But ideally you'd like to have that franchise QB you know is the one. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I’m imagining that the team decides they’re willing to be stupid for a franchise QB. 

Would you say no to that? What does it take for you to say yes if you’re 💯 in on Williams right now?

For four 1st round picks and three 2nds?  Is that the trade?

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I realize Belichick may or may not be with the Patriots by the draft, but when do the Patriots ever trade multiple picks to move up in the draft?  Their strategy is to almost always trade down and collect multiple picks.

Thats fine, they have Mac Jones for another year. Ready to go with him? Or sign baker to a multi year deal? Sam Howell? Trade for Fields? Trade for Wilson and that contract?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

For four 1st round picks and three 2nds?  Is that the trade?

You tell me what does it take for you to do it? If they offered 3 firsts and 3 seconds do you take it before they change their mind? If they call you the day before the draft and offer you 4 and 3 so you turn them down?

The press mentioned insane prices for that pick. What type of insanity would make you say yes?