2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Mike Vrabel out in Tennessee. I'm generally surprised by that one.

He is a good coach - I presume he'll end up in New England, maybe as the assistant head coach if Beli stays there and as the heir apparent.  But he is a really good coach.  

30 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

9 out of the last 15 QBs picked overall #1 were busts. Small sample size I know but something to consider.

I think the next question to that is - which of those guys were graded at #1 overall and which were elevated because they were a QB.  I think you'd see that the reality is taking a QB #1 overall for guys who grade out as the #1 player in the draft - is probably a 50%+ probability. I'll take a coin flip shot at finding a 10 year QB.  

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is a good coach - I presume he'll end up in New England, maybe as the assistant head coach if Beli stays there and as the heir apparent.  But he is a really good coach.  

A team that reunites him with Arthur Smith at OC...is gonna win some games soon.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

A team that reunites him with Arthur Smith at OC...is gonna win some games soon.

I'd consider Vrabel / Smith as a worthwhile justification to move on from Flus.  I am curious where Arthur Smith ends up.  I get that some guys can be an HC and an OC, other guys wilter in that spot light and when they have both hats essentially fail at both.  Smith seems to have gone that way.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I'd consider Vrabel / Smith as a worthwhile justification to move on from Flus.  I am curious where Arthur Smith ends up.  I get that some guys can be an HC and an OC, other guys wilter in that spot light and when they have both hats essentially fail at both.  Smith seems to have gone that way.  

At Mizzou barry odom was an unbelievable DC, and he did a lot of good things and hired some really good assistants, but never broke thru past mediocre. Key being his defenses were pretty bad. Then he goes to Arkansas and is an incredible DC again. Then he had a great run this year as a HC again.

I think you are right, split your brain too much because you are essentially playcaller, too hard to actually gameplan.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Or...just josh mcdaniel. Genuinely still think he is a good offensive mind but clearly a huge jerk.

Is he really going to coach again? I presume there is an offset in his contract so there is really no benefit for him to coach other than him wanting to get off his couch?  I could see a scenario where McDaniels and Vrabel end up back in New England with Beli and they go all in on a QB and than one of those two just takes over the Pats job (I would imagine it would be Vrabel - but Vrabel).

Leaves Arthur Smith to the Bears. He'll probably have other suitors too.  

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I saw something where teams can't talk to playoff teams assistants until the 22nd. So all of this stuff is slowed down a bit.

I personally don't have any concern with taking a few days to think through.  They were clearly on the fence, so going through the process, listening to the players, listening to Flus, and than quietly Poles and Warren meet after and take there time doesn't hurt things.  

Reality is whether the Bears are the 1st team or last team to announce their vacancy, the best candidates are likely going to be on playoff teams with minimal time to talk anyway, and the actual Bears job should be a pretty good opportunity on paper. So if they make a move on Friday with Flus - they are going to have a chance to talk to the same people Washington (for example) will talk to.  Starting 4 days later isn't some detriment.  

Now if they waited 3 weeks and everyone was hired, sure. Look at Colts and Ballard's process a year ago - they took a ton of time and talked multiple times with candidates, other teams made moves, they were patient and made a pretty home run hire (what he did with back-up QB play etc was pretty impressive).  

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Flus had not only on the field strategy gaffes over two seasons but his two personnel “things” this year should have gotten him fired.   People want to be like “but wait look how great the defense did when he took over” but you know what?  We KNEW he was a good DC, and we didn’t know if he was a good HC.  That isn’t a feather in his cap for me, that’s scrambling to save face.

i get it, you are old school in this town and you have seen how the sausage is made closer than I have.  But I don’t think anything this guy has done up til now has shown me that he has what it takes to be a good head coach in this town, totally the opposite in fact 

His defense sucks until he got an All Pro and took over the play calling.  The guys he hired are terrible.  I am not certain they even employ an OL coach. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If TTT takes into account time outside of the pocket, it could be the most useless misifnormed stat out there.

Yeah, it actually penalizes QBs with good mobility and the ability to extend plays. They really need a TTT metric that only measures dropbacks within the pocket. 

Because I honestly think there is a difference in Fields holding onto the ball in the pocket cause he can't decide who to throw to and him on a designed rollout buying time with his legs so he can get an open receiver. For TTT, those are the same things and they really shouldn't be. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah, it actually penalizes QBs with good mobility and the ability to extend plays. They really need a TTT metric that only measures dropbacks within the pocket. 

Because I honestly think there is a difference in Fields holding onto the ball in the pocket cause he can't decide who to throw to and him on a designed rollout buying time with his legs so he can get an open receiver. For TTT, those are the same things and they really shouldn't be. 

Thanks.  It's a useless stat. 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I do find it interesting how quiet things have been at Halas Hall.  

I somewhat agree with this...if they were 100% in on Flus, I feel like they would have said something by now? 

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

I somewhat agree with this...if they were 100% in on Flus, I feel like they would have said something by now? 

Evidently someone referenced to a few years back when the Bears made playoffs as the 7 seed (lost to Saints) - it took them a few days to announce Pace and Nagy were coming back.  That is probably the case here, sans Getsy. He has to be gone.  They can't make zero changes. 

I think Biggs is pretty good (he's my personal favorite of the Bears beat) and he thought Flus/Poles would be back and Getsy is gone and than Flus will bring in 2 new coordinators.  One of which will help but Flus is clearly calling the defense going forward (but having a coordinator to help with game planning and other stuff is probably still pretty relevant).   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

9 out of the last 15 QBs picked overall #1 were busts. Small sample size I know but something to consider.

• 2023: QB Bryce Young, Alabama
  • 2021: QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson, Jaguars
  • 2020: QB Joe Burrow, LSU, Bengals
  • 2019: QB Kyler Murray, Oklahoma, Cardinals
  • 2018: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma, Browns
  • 2016: QB Jared Goff, Cal, Rams
  • 2015: QB Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers
  • 2012: QB Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts
  • 2011: QB Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers
  • 2010: QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams
  • 2009: QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions
  • 2007: QB JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders
  • 2005: QB Alex Smith, Utah, 49ers
  • 2004: QB Eli Manning, Ole Miss, Chargers
  • 2003: QB Carson Palmer, USC, Bengals
  • 2002: QB David Carr, Fresno State, Texans
  • 2001: QB Michael Vick, Virginia Tech, Falcons
  • 1999: QB Tim Couch, Kentucky, Browns
  • 1998: QB Peyton Manning, Tennessee, Colts

Underline is jury is still out. Italics is bust with the first team. Bold is bust.

I did this rather quickly so I may be off on some.

• Like 1

Oh well. DBB coming out of the woodwork with word that flus is safe…fields will still be on the roster…And bears likely pick a qb.

Very odd and will likely fail (because bears love to find people who decide their poor decision will work this time)

But I do LOVE watching dbb have to switch it into high gear, get his saliva producin, and lick that boot with vigor. 

Of course it’s a great idea…the bears are doing it and they know more than you!

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh well. DBB coming out of the woodwork with word that flus is safe…fields will still be on the roster…And bears likely pick a qb.

Very odd and will likely fail (because bears love to find people who decide their poor decision will work this time)

But I do LOVE watching dbb have to switch it into high gear, get his saliva producin, and lick that boot with vigor. 

Can't see the a number one pick QB and fields coexisting. Maybe they are taking a QB later and that what he is hearing. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Can't see the a number one pick QB and fields coexisting. Maybe they are taking a QB later and that what he is hearing. 

Maybe but he said top ten pick. 

Just torture having to pay attention to bob nightengale and Dabearsblog for news. 

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

Maybe but he said top ten pick. 

Just torture having to pay attention to bob nightengale and Dabearsblog for news. 

Probably just a negotiating ploy then. 

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wasn’t his source Ted Phillips?  I saw his tweets earlier and was curious where he gets his intel from now.  Either way, I never have seen anyone carry so much for an organization in my life.

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wasn’t his source Ted Phillips?  I saw his tweets earlier and was curious where he gets his intel from now.  Either way, I never have seen anyone carry so much for an organization in my life.

He is friends with Ted Phillips son, so yes. 

• Like 1