2023-24 NFL Season Thread

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Awful.  This has to be the worst possible option of all.  Why can’t the Bears do anything correctly?  Replace your coaching staff (Eberloser included), hire a new staff, let them have a say in what QB they want in the draft, and allow them to develop your new QB from day one.  Trade Fields for the best pick(s) that you can get for him.  What is so difficult about this?  Why do the Bears continue to allow lame duck coaches to impact their franchise-changing decisions and infect their QB picks?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Oh well. DBB coming out of the woodwork with word that flus is safe…fields will still be on the roster…And bears likely pick a qb.

Very odd and will likely fail (because bears love to find people who decide their poor decision will work this time)

But I do LOVE watching dbb have to switch it into high gear, get his saliva producin, and lick that boot with vigor. 

Of course it’s a great idea…the bears are doing it and they know more than you!

I read through the DBB Twitter and it totally sounds like the Bears are going to F this up royally, if this guy truly does have sources.

Sounds like they will keep Eberloser, replace Getsy, try to trade down the #1 pick, still draft a rookie QB with whatever pick in the top 10 that is returned to them in the trade, keep Fields, and let him compete with the rookie QB in training camp.  Simply horrifyingly awful.

If you check the DBB Twitter, he is now defending these moves to all the Bears fans that are saying it is the worst possible route to take.

This strategy totally reeks of a GM who has no confidence in his own assessment of players and is desperately afraid to make the wrong decision.  If Poles truly does this, he’s a coward and the wrong man for the job.

I know it won’t happen but I will hold out hope that Harbaugh will be brought in to replace both Poles and Eberloser before this shitshow of decision-making actually happens.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Pretty sure DBBs source was super close to if not was Ted Phillips.  Since he retired, has DBB stayed pretty on point?

Convinced it was Phillips. If he still knows, would assume George is still friends with him.

Desperately hope he’s wrong so I can stop following him.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

So did vrabel tho

Somehow he just fits the vibe more.

Which is probably boring to most fans...the idea of primary controlling the ball with the running game, mostly short passes/screens/dump offs and defense.

Then again...that sounds a lot like Michogan, too.

Just less focus/attention on the coach than the team itself.

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Dabearsblog said flus back, new offensive staff and use of #1 pick on qb. I can’t argue with any of that - other than with Vrabel, Beli and Harbaugh I’d rather swing for the fences on any of them. 

Wouldn’t this scenario make it more obvious that Williams will be drafted? You’re not bringing in a new offensive coach to work with two different styles of QB. 

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I read through the DBB Twitter and it totally sounds like the Bears are going to F this up royally, if this guy truly does have sources.

Sounds like they will keep Eberloser, replace Getsy, try to trade down the #1 pick, still draft a rookie QB with whatever pick in the top 10 that is returned to them in the trade, keep Fields, and let him compete with the rookie QB in training camp.  Simply horrifyingly awful.

If you check the DBB Twitter, he is now defending these moves to all the Bears fans that are saying it is the worst possible route to take.

This strategy totally reeks of a GM who has no confidence in his own assessment of players and is desperately afraid to make the wrong decision.  If Poles truly does this, he’s a coward and the wrong man for the job.

I know it won’t happen but I will hold out hope that Harbaugh will be brought in to replace both Poles and Eberloser before this shitshow of decision-making actually happens.

It creates unnecessary drama, too. The ol’ quarterback controversy will exist from day one. Every bad game from Fields will start the chatter to replace him. Why put ourselves in this situation? We’re not drafting a QB to learn on the bench from Fields. 

Just saw a mock published today on the Athletic that had the Bears trading the #1 to Atlanta for #8, Atlanta’s second rounder, and a 2025 first rounder. That’s not even in the universe of being enough, right?

edit: plus a future second rounder. Still feels light. 

https://theathletic.com/5190250/2024/01/10/nfl-mock-draft-2024-bears-falcons-trade/

Edited by chitown87
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Love to have another rookie QB tied to a lame duck HC and probably GM. Good luck finding a solid OC to come in under Eberflus.

Their thought process could very well be, we are aware of the trend and purposely won’t fire Eberflus or Poles, regardless of results, to build continuity (and remove that talking point)

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

Their thought process could very well be, we are aware of the trend and purposely won’t fire Eberflus or Poles, regardless of results, to build continuity (and remove that talking point)

How do they make that promise/commitment to any potential incoming OC, though?

3 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Just saw a mock published today on the Athletic that had the Bears trading the #1 to Atlanta for #8, Atlanta’s second rounder, and a 2025 first rounder. That’s not even in the universe of being enough, right?

https://theathletic.com/5190250/2024/01/10/nfl-mock-draft-2024-bears-falcons-trade/

That's not even close to enough. We got more for #1 last year lol.

5 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

To get out of the top 3, I would need way more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

How do they make that promise/commitment to any potential incoming OC, though?

Yeah imagine being a first year OC and if you slip up you're gonna get canned along with the HC. Who's going to take that job? Surely not anyone who actually deserves a OC role. Good luck scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

As I said yesterday, if they're doing this and they draft a QB, they must commit to the same staff in 2025 barring their OC trying to overthrow the US government or something like that. They cannot fire their OC or HC just because the team or the QB struggles in 2024. Make that decision today, right now. Like add a poison pill into their contracts or something like that, their salary is $1 million in 2025 but it costs the team $10 million to fire them.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

That's not even close to enough. We got more for #1 last year lol.

They aren't trading the #1 pick two years in a row. No way they take a North Carolina QB at #1 either after the Trubisky debacle. The Caleb Williams show is coming to town! 

11 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Throw in Bijan and Kyle Pitts and maybe we can talk?