2023-24 NFL Season Thread

Just now, ptatc said:

Agreed, not a fan of his offense. 

Still like Reich and the fact that they have worked together successfully in the past. 

It seems like a no-brainer. I get that it isn't sexy, but it kind of just works.  And he probably has the best track record of any OC the Bears would have had in my entire life (sans Mike Martz).  Which Martz system actually worked pretty well - Bears were crushing it until Cutler got hurt (other than we traded Greg Olsen because of Martz). 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Since they are keeping Eberflus the discussion with the OC would need to include a discussion of the bears commitment to him. 

How many good OC candidates are still going to choose that type of instability versus starting fresh with a new head coach that isn’t a lame duck?  Stability for them in their role, but then having to work with an entirely new coaching staff the very next year?  It’s still a crappy setup.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

All Bears fans should remember this moment.  If Poles’ entire rebuild fails as miserably as the White Sox did, this will likely be the day that started the downfall.

Poles retaining Eberflus could be similar to Jerry hiring TLR, right when both teams are on the cusp of being good.

That's the way it should be. Each team hired the GM to create a winning team. They should let them do it as they see fit. If it fails they should be fired. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's the way it should be. Each team hired the GM to create a winning team. They should let them do it as they see fit. If it fails they should be fired. 

But it is an absolute no brainer to clean house right now, when there are good coaching options available, and before a key draft in which you can take the best QB available.  I don’t think anyone but Poles thinks it’s a good idea to retain Eberflus considering these factors.  His love for Eberflus is going to blow up this rebuild, TLR style.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I'll say this - the offensive coaches they kept, were the ones I would have kept around (or at least kept until the new OC could come in and decide they were a fit).  I felt like Kmet really improved and the line despite an awful final game, I saw solid growth from the young players in the season.

I will note and double down on - Braxton Jones was a great find for a late round.  But he's just okay, I'm done with having okay at the tackle positions.  If they have a high grade one on of the LT's and they are there with the Bears 2nd 1st round pick - you got to take them and just lock down the position for the next decade.  

• Like 1

I'm not going to lie - we all know my preference would have been to hire Harbaugh or Vrabel.  But if we end up with Flus and Reich....that is a pretty respectable. Sexy - no - but those are two good coaches.  Add a Leslie Frazier or something as a DC (making up a name) and I'd really like that staff and reality is you'd have a staff of guys where none of the main guys are headed to a HC gig anytime soon.  

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

All Bears fans should remember this moment.  If Poles’ entire rebuild fails as miserably as the White Sox did, this will likely be the day that started the downfall.

Poles retaining Eberflus could be similar to Jerry hiring TLR, right when both teams were on the cusp of being good.

No manager in the history of baseball was going to win anything significant with the roster that TLR inherited. TLR was a disaster, but the turning point of the Sox rebuild happened when they failed to land Bryce Harper. 

8 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

No manager in the history of baseball was going to win anything significant with the roster that TLR inherited. TLR was a disaster, but the turning point of the Sox rebuild happened when they failed to land Bryce Harper. 

I'd argue it was when they couldn't sign Wheeler.

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'd argue it was when they couldn't sign Wheeler.

I'll argue the problems were A. they overvauled their payers and B. it is always about being good enough to potentially win the ALC instead of being the best they can be.

Rick Hahn couldn't stop mentioning he won Exec of the Year. It wasn't even half a season. He acquired Grandal, Keuchel,, Mazara, Cishek  and Encanarcion the previous offseason.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This thread sped right through depression into coping and acceptance 

Pretty much because expectations matched reality. Sadly.

If new OC thinks Fields is fixable and can actually coach a QB let them spend the off-season together, draft MJH and o line with the 9 pick. f*** it at this point. The Bears are probably fucked anyway no matter what they do just like the White Sox.

57 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they hire Reich, I think that is a pretty respectable OC hire.  I tend to agree with you - I would rather make sure we move on from QB than HC if we could only pick one.  But if the Bears plan was really continuing continuity and build up more and more assets, I suppose they could hire a Greg Roman, trade down for a haul, draft more linemen and wideouts, and design an offense to suit Fields.  

If it doesn't work - you have a future 1st or two and an even better team when you look to upgrade QB a year from now (albeit you have no idea what the draft class looks like and highly unlikely you have the #1 pick). 

Heard the question asked yesterday.....If Flus was fired today, would any other team hire him as their HC? And if not, doesn't that mean you can do better? 

• Like 3

Just now, Tony said:

Heard the question asked yesterday.....If Flus was fired today, would any other team hire him as their HC? And if not, doesn't that mean you can do better? 

I agree. We all know if I was in charge - we would be all in on Harbaugh and if that didn't work out, would have pivoted quickly to Beli / Vrabel. The end.  

25 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Thanks for your thoughts. What if Eric Bienemy was a possibility? What about Greg Roman? Where would you put them?

Not a Roman fan at all. I think it's underrated that he may have held Jackson back.

I would be thrilled with Bienemy.

I also keep going back to the fact that Greg Olson is a pretty damn impressive candidate.

His first stint in the NFL is with the Rams under Linehan, who was a disaster, but he started off promising before Linehan did some Frank Reich stuff.

He goes to Tampa, where he inherits an incredibly young offense with Josh Freeman as signal caller. In Year 2, he ended up with 25 tds to 6 ints. And he wasn't a good QB! The next year they struggled.

Gets hired to be OC in Oakland, where his QBs are Terrell Pryor and Matt McGloin. Not good, and they weren't good. But don't worry they had a good set of receivers in Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore. The next year he oversaw Derek Carr's rookie year. That offense was bad, their receivers were awful, but he had a respectable year. Once again 22 TDs, 12 Ints show a guy capable of guiding decision making for a rookie.

So obviously dennis allen was fired, and then he goes to Jacksonville. That's year 2 of Bortles. Yes. That is the year Blake Bortles threw for 4400 yards and 35 touchdowns. 

No, the downside to making Bortles look good was when bortles started to chortle you are fired. And so he's a FA again.

No big deal, Sean McVay hires him as QB coach for Goff's year. Then he's hired by Gruden and back with Carr.

The Raiders had 2 top ten offenses by yards, then a top 11 offense in 2021. McDaniels comes in, he's let go. He goes back to McVay. Then Waldron hires him as his QB coach in Seattle.

So to summarize. He's had multiple 4000 yard passers that include Bortles, Bulger and Carr. He's ushered in a few rookie QBs and young Qbs. 

He's worked with McVay twice in last 8 years, and a McVay disciple. He has had just unbelievably bad talent multiple times.

He will absolutely not be a head coach right? No way. 

IMO, he's had failures, he's been fired. So had Fangio. But good coaches keep hiring him. He may have had just extraordinarily bad timing and luck. 

In short, I like the stock.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm not going to lie - we all know my preference would have been to hire Harbaugh or Vrabel.  But if we end up with Flus and Reich....that is a pretty respectable. Sexy - no - but those are two good coaches.  Add a Leslie Frazier or something as a DC (making up a name) and I'd really like that staff and reality is you'd have a staff of guys where none of the main guys are headed to a HC gig anytime soon.  

I don't think Reich is a good OC, personally. He put together a great initial staff. But I think his passing offenses largely haven't worked when he hasn't had a veteran like Rivers or Luck. ANd when Sirianni left, it all seemed a lot worse. 

Now, the talent was terrible in Carolina. And in his defense...he didn't get shut out twice in a row. 

He didn't call the plays in Philly. He was bad in San Diego.

Just don't trust him.

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

DCs are always going to be at a disadvantage, but if I was Carolina, looking at what I'm looking at, I think hiring him as a caretaker would work.

To me he's a Gus bradley type except actually develops the players.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But it is an absolute no brainer to clean house right now, when there are good coaching options available, and before a key draft in which you can take the best QB available.  I don’t think anyone but Poles thinks it’s a good idea to retain Eberflus considering these factors.  His love for Eberflus is going to blow up this rebuild, TLR style.

No it's not. What if the next head coach is awful at his job? 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think Reich is a good OC, personally. He put together a great initial staff. But I think his passing offenses largely haven't worked when he hasn't had a veteran like Rivers or Luck. ANd when Sirianni left, it all seemed a lot worse. 

Now, the talent was terrible in Carolina. And in his defense...he didn't get shut out twice in a row. 

He didn't call the plays in Philly. He was bad in San Diego.

Just don't trust him.

Wasn't Reich OC when Wentz was actually good and I thought he was effective in San Diego as well. With Vet QB's he did decent and with Colts he was balancing both - but I would think going fully back into a role where he is back to living and breathing offensive scheme and game planning, he would thrive.  He also has so many connections that I think he could lure a really good candidate to be a QB coach.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wasn't Reich OC when Wentz was actually good and I thought he was effective in San Diego as well. With Vet QB's he did decent and with Colts he was balancing both - but I would think going fully back into a role where he is back to living and breathing offensive scheme and game planning, he would thrive.  He also has so many connections that I think he could lure a really good candidate to be a QB coach.  

He was, but Doug Pederson was also calling the plays and seems like he is a very hands on offensive coach. I know Reich deserves some credit there, just a big caveat on why I didn't include the Eagles as that powerful of an example.