2023-24 NFL Season Thread

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I do agree, if they trade the pick, they can't go lower than 4.Ā 

You could talk me into going lower, but it requires the truly epic haul of picks and probably a player or two. I come back to the Raiders as they could do this - Maxx Crosby + 3 firsts + 3 seconds definitely has my attention even though they're outside the top 10.Ā 

On 1/10/2024 at 4:51 PM, bmags said:

Ok so if we can agree that the pool is all unemployed, non-playcalling OCs, and positions underneath OCs, I think, IĀ thinkĀ my ranking would be :Ā 
1. Shane Waldron (comes from McVay, should be fine with Chris Morgan, excellent work at Seattle)
2. Eric Bienemy (Downside is he if he is like Nagy, he runs inside zone and Nagy preferred Beef. Not sure what Bienemy did, but he was the one who really started to create a run game post-Nagy)
3. Ken Dorsey - just extremely like the bills offense that he had put together. THey had no run game under Daboll, he put a lot of work together that saw fruition this year despite the turnovers. Yes...that team is mostly Allen though.

4. Liem Cohen - Playcaller at UK who has twice worked under McVay as QB coach and passing coordinator. Worked with Levis in his best year.
5. Zac Robinson - McVay QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator, worked under both Cohen and Mike LaFleur
6. Mike LaFleur - docked for his time in NYJ...but that may make him the perfect get. He also is probably most likely to take this to jumpstart his career again. While work with Wilson wasn't inspiring...Zach Wilson sucks.
7. Brian Callahan - Skeptical he'd take this, but I gained a lot of respect for Bengals this year. Crazy SoS, and the thought was always that Zac Taylor was a weak coach and burrow transformed them. That offense was humming with Browning still.
8. Darrell Bevell - HC era seems to have passed him by, but 2 years under McDaniel and extensive career seems perfect. Honestly seems like a Daboll situation.
9. Chris Foerster - OL/Run Game Coordinator for 49ers. Could likely bring a strong QB coach/passing game coordinator, but a pairing of OL coaches could be great option.
10. Arthur Smith - I just remembered again late that he is here but probably top 4. Didn't have it as HC but prior to this year had a very efficient offense. How he gets his hand in choosing a top QB which he lacked in ATL.
10. Greg Olson (discussed)
11. Kliff Kingsbury - Didn't like his air raid nfl offense, but a year under Riley may bring some exciting wrinkles. Paired with a good Run Game coordinator could be interesting.
12. Klint Kubiak - didn't love his offense at all in MN, but now he's seasoned under shanahan. If you can tell, I prefer the McVay tree to the shanahan tree

The good news here, though I don't think 1-2 , 7 or 10 are feasible, is these are actually damn good hires. Anyone on this list I'd say...we got better. Olson probably most controversial.

One thing that sucks is I really want to put Byron Leftwich. I love that Arians offense. Maybe you interview him and he has a good discussion on why it didn't work. While last year with Brady was disappointing, this year showed that the offense still had lots of skill talent and the oline was in shambles the year prior. Hope he gets another shot, makes me nervous here.

Totally ok with Jerrod Johnson but makes me nervous as he only has 2 years really in coaching.

Pep Hamilton is an ok candidate, just outside my fringe. Like Olson - really never had great talent.Ā 

Also still intrigued on Mike Kafka. Doesn't have playcalling. This year was a mess but ...rebounded. That OL regressed and clearly had a bad OL coach which is never a good look on the OC but when Daboll is running it, who knows.
Ā 

Waldron, Coen, and Kibiak so far

https://x.com/jjones9/status/1745995780475805965?s=46&t=9lkBcVJmwvxFpyVi5DNtCg

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Bills are offering $20 per hour this weekend for fans to come shovel out the ballpark. No joke. Fans are known to shovel out the player's homes.Ā 

I think they have done that a few times, Green Bay too. Ā  Have to imagine for fans in those climates, thatā€™s just a thing to do

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/green-bay-packers-fans-shovel-snow-seahawks

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Terrible non call with the PI. The officiating cannot miss those calls in the playoffs, no matter how close it appears in real-time.Ā 

I thought that wasn't even close in real time. It was obvious the defender hit Njoku way too early.

Alright I don't think this is just the refs being bad, if you're a Browns fan I wouldn't blame you for thinking this is rigged. That PI was the softest call imaginable and they missed the obvious call against the Browns.

236 yards in the first half for Stroud against the VAUNTED Cleveland defense. Fields had 166 yards the whole game. But Iā€™m sure that disparity is because Getsy called a terrible game, or the Oline didnā€™t give him 10 seconds to throwā€¦

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It cannot be stated enough how badly the Bears fucked up by not taking Stroud last year.Ā 

Imagine for a second of having the possibility of exclusively drafting two generational QBs in back to back seasons, and not doing it. I just canā€™t believe Poles sticks with Fields and risks that.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It cannot be stated enough how badly the Bears fucked up by not taking Stroud last year.Ā 

I'll gladly take D.J. Moore + Wright + Stevenson + #1 overall pick this year + 2nd next year.Ā 

Now if he passes on Caleb and he really does turn into Patrick Mahomes... then by all means.

• Like 1

Just now, SoxAce said:

I'll gladly take D.J. Moore + Wright + Stevenson + #1 overall pick this year + 2nd next year.Ā 

Now if he passes on Caleb and he really does turn into Patrick Mahomes... then by all means.

Value wise, yes. But as we all know, the Bears have never found their guy, ever. And in todayā€™s NFL, more than ever, they need to find him. If they donā€™t, none of the other moves really matter.Ā 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Agreed.Ā 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tony said:

Value wise, yes. But as we all know, the Bears have never found their guy, ever. And in todayā€™s NFL, more than ever, they need to find him. If they donā€™t, none of the other moves really matter.Ā 

And this is their chance. By all accounts Caleb Williams is suppose to be better than both Stroud and Bryce Young coming out. He's been called a generational QB for years now. Now if you want to argue the Bears can't develop any QB which by their own history they never have? Then that is an argument worth buying.

16 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

And this is their chance. By all accounts Caleb Williams is suppose to be better than both Stroud and Bryce Young coming out. He's been called a generational QB for years now. Now if you want to argue the Bears can't develop any QB which by their own history they never have? Then that is an argument worth buying.

At least in my eyes, the harder question is what to do if someone offers you an insane deal.

The Raiders offer you 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and Maxx Crosby for this pick. Thats a half insane but also plausible offer (Crosby today said to trade him if they change coaches). You have turned the 2023 first pick into 2 pro bowlers, 4 first round picks, and 5 second round picks. Was it worth going with Justin Fields and risking using the franchise tag on him? Thats tough.

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Imagine for a second of having the possibility of exclusively drafting two generational QBs in back to back seasons, and not doing it. I just canā€™t believe Poles sticks with Fields and risks that.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

At this point I would be stunned if the donā€™t take a qb at 1. Whether they get the right one or not I donā€™t know.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least in my eyes, the harder question is what to do if someone offers you an insane deal.

The Raiders offer you 3 firsts, 3 seconds, and Maxx Crosby for this pick. Thats a half insane but also plausible offer (Crosby today said to trade him if they change coaches). You have turned the 2023 first pick into 2 pro bowlers, 4 first round picks, and 5 second round picks. Was it worth going with Justin Fields and risking using the franchise tag on him? Thats tough.

Ā 

I'm on record in saying trade the pick if you get a haul. If that's what Raiders are offering... then as tough as it is to pass on Caleb and what he COULD become.. if you hit on those picks.. you're elite for years. But it would be up to Poles to evaluate and hit if he believes he can find a QB that he can win with.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the Bears organization believes a generational QB is NOT in this draft, thatā€™s a tremendous haul.Ā 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Ā 

I'm on record in saying trade the pick if you get a haul. If that's what Raiders are offering... then as tough as it is to pass on Caleb and what he COULD become.. if you hit on those picks.. you're elite for years. But it would be up to Poles to evaluate and hit if he believes he can find a QB that he can win with.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

If the Bears organization believes a generational QB is NOT in this draft, thatā€™s a tremendous haul.Ā 

No idea what the actual offers will be, but I wouldn't trade away Williams unless I got a haul like that.Ā