2023-24 NFL Season Thread

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think I am leaning to drafting Turner at 9 , signing Mike Evans, and drafting another wideout in 3rd round. Use pick you get for Fields on oline and another pick on safety. 

I would be open to signing one of the running backs to a deal to help Caleb. Barkley or Ekler (banged up but so good as a receiver). 

I presume they can get Evans for big money but without a ton of years. 

Might need to cross him off the list 

https://x.com/schultz_report/status/1763931709681144088?s=46&t=Nd9oJCYs4TMp8_32NrPiMA

10 hours ago, chw42 said:

I'm not sure Turner gets past 8 unless the Falcons trade up for a QB. 

I still think the best scenario is for the Bears to get Odunze and sign an EDGE in FA. Evans might get 25 mil a year. I don't see Hunter getting that much, maybe more years though. 

Exactly.  Mike Evans is not a guy the Bears should be signing.  He’ll be expensive and 31.  The Bears should be going after a young WR to develop.  They aren’t an immediate contender no matter what they do.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yes please to Caleb and one of these wideouts at 9. Take another wideout in 3rd or 4th given the depth in this class. 

Odunze may have helped his draft status even further after the combine yesterday. Today several articles popped up of different teams (Colts, Jaguars) showing interest in trading up in the Top 10 to draft him. 

If you believe the draft will go some order of: 

williams, maye, daniels, MHJ, Nabers, Alt, Odunze 

We may be on the outside at #9. I believe if everything unfolded that way above, we would either take a defensive pick (Verse, Turner) or just trade down and recoup a 2nd rounder. Which may not be a bad plan B

Edited by Flash Tizzle

13 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Odunze may have helped his draft status even further after the combine yesterday. Today several articles popped up of different teams (Colts, Jaguars) showing interest in trading up in the Top 10 to draft him. 

We may be on the outside at #9. I believe if everything unfolded that way above, we would either take a defensive pick (Verse, Turner) or just trade down and recoup a 2nd rounder. Which may not be a bad plan B

Trading Fields to the Falcons for their 2nd round pick plus a swap of 1.09 for 1.08 would be a good outcome for us.  Guarantees us one of the offensive players you highlighted or the top defensive player in the draft.  Also, has Bowers stock fallen as of late?  I thought he was as regarded as highly as these other prospects, at least pre combine.

51 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I would go Turner or trade down. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trading Fields to the Falcons for their 2nd round pick plus a swap of 1.09 for 1.08 would be a good outcome for us.  Guarantees us one of the offensive players you highlighted or the top defensive player in the draft.  Also, has Bowers stock fallen as of late?  I thought he was as regarded as highly as these other prospects, at least pre combine.

I don’t think his stock has fallen as much as these WR and QB options pushing him down a bit. He probably won’t make it far past  10. It really seems like Olu’s stock has dipped a bit too in mock drafts. Which is always strange when things change months after any of these players have had a single snap lol. It will be interesting to see how the combine goes for the O linemen

Edited by Flash Tizzle

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Bears have really targeted, say Odunze, I could def. see them trading up to 7 or 8 to get their guy. Will cost a decent amount, but I could see Poles getting aggressive to get what he considers two absolute difference makers in the 1st round. 

I still think a stud OL at 9 makes sense if they are there, and I've beaten the drum on teams like the Packers and Texans having mediocre WR rooms and the QB's making the talent around them better, but I can get on board with the argument that putting Caleb in the best position and having DJ-Odunze to throw to in Year 1 is pretty attractive. 

• Like 1

I don't think we'll get one of the top 3 receivers and it's a bummer. But I just can't pull the trigger on one of these edges. I also think they are too light for what Flus has been looking for. 

I'd rather trade back from 9 and target McConkey/Thomas Jr.

I can't tell if I'll overrate McConkey too much. You think maybe at first round you'll overrate the 3rd level + physical end zone threat to the point you miss the guy that can get open constantly. But if I have a worry it's that I'll think he'll be St. Brown and instead he's Jerry Jeudy, who is of similar slight build and that lack of physicality really made him much less impactful.

But McConkey is more explosive than Jeudy. Nonetheless, Thomas Jr is a nice secondary piece, but more of a Christian Watson type.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think we'll get one of the top 3 receivers and it's a bummer. But I just can't pull the trigger on one of these edges. I also think they are too light for what Flus has been looking for. 

I can't tell if I'll overrate McConkey too much. You think maybe at first round you'll overrate the 3rd level + physical end zone threat to the point you miss the guy that can get open constantly. But if I have a worry it's that I'll think he'll be St. Brown and instead he's Jerry Jeudy, who is of similar slight build and that lack of physicality really made him much less impactful.

But McConkey is more explosive than Jeudy. Nonetheless, Thomas Jr is a nice secondary piece, but more of a Christian Watson type.

You don’t think one of the three receivers will drop to 9?  I could see one of the QB needy teams jumping on McCarthy early before 9.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You don’t think one of the three receivers will drop to 9?  I could see one of the QB needy teams jumping on McCarthy early before 9.

even so, but even with 4 QBs, the problem is every single team 3-8 could take a WR easily, and these are three strong receivers. Brugler keeps mocking QB-QB-QB-WR-WR-WR. 

9 hours ago, bmags said:

If the 3 top WRs go, we already know the top 3 QBs at least will go early.  That means we probably didn't see a run on the defensive players and/or the OTs. which wouldn't be an awful thing to pick at #9 either.

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the 3 top WRs go, we already know the top 3 QBs at least will go early.  That means we probably didn't see a run on the defensive players and/or the OTs. which wouldn't be an awful thing to pick at #9 either.

If 4 QB's go and Top 3 wideouts and Alt are gone (which is definitely a good possibility) - than Bears basically can take whomever their first Defensive player on the board, one of the other OT's, or Brockers....or they trade back 5-7 picks, pick up a 2nd rounder and go from there.  The key is - they need someone who is willing to move up for it to work - in particular - it would have to be a team who was higher on one of the defensive players at that point (this is assuming 4 QBs are gone - if McCarthy was still there - than that is a real option for a trade down as well).

If Bears couldn't move down - Turner would be a great get. My ideal scenario is Alt is there - Bears get a 2nd for Fields and actually double down on wideout in 2nd and 3rd round before going BPA rest of the way.  In FA spend some cap space on defensive side of the ball and oline.  

37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

This is the guy Bears tried to sign to an offer sheet last year and the Bills matched. Clearly the brass likes Bates.

I wonder if he’s starting at RG or center.  I would guess center since Lucas Patrick is terrible.  This tells me that they aren’t drafting OL at #9.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

36 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

This is the guy Bears tried to sign to an offer sheet last year and the Bills matched. Clearly the brass likes Bates.

He’ll need more snaps at center. Bears Twitter rushed to point out that he is a backup, but he got work at center and if I read something right, he was probably blocked.

57 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I wonder if he’s starting at RG or center.  I would guess center since Lucas Patrick is terrible.  This tells me that they aren’t drafting OL at #9.

Not sure trading for an interior lineman prevents us from drafting a tackle at #9.  IMO, this suggests Poles might be getting close on a Fields trade, because right now we’re super short on picks after the 1st round.

Poles always gets his guy...

It just so happens that Bates had a RAS of 9.56. Pace loves high RAS guys like KW loves past their prime vets. 

Edited by chw42

I wonder if their offseason plan heavily depended on Fields bringing atleast a 2nd round pick, and now they’re scrambling a bit. We don’t know their overall plan (although we can assume Williams is the number one pick) but why do this and give up our already limited draft capital? 

12 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I wonder if their offseason plan heavily depended on Fields bringing atleast a 2nd round pick, and now they’re scrambling a bit. We don’t know their overall plan (although we can assume Williams is the number one pick) but why do this and give up our already limited draft capital? 

Everys single GM knows that the Bears want to trade Fields asap. It really appears like Poles showed his hand too early here. Rival GMS interested in Fields can simply wait Poles out. The asking price for Fields goes down a bit more with each passing day. 

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Everys single GM knows that the Bears want to trade Fields asap. It really appears like Poles showed his hand too early here. Rival GMS interested in Fields can simply wait Poles out. The asking price for Fields goes down a bit more with each passing day. 

Sure, but there is only one Fields to go around in a league without enough QBs.  Eventually someone has to know that if they step up they get him, and the longer they wait, the more they risk not having anything once the round of QBs ends.

35 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

At some point he had to let everyone know that Fields was for sale. If not the combine, when? We already knew coming in the market for him was thin. 

I’m fine with cutting losses and trading Fields for a 3rd rounder. In the scenario ss2k5 presented, let’s say we are now weeks into free agency and Fields is still here. Are we willing to hold out and keep him on the roster past the draft? If the answer is no, then it’s not worth the headaches to MAYBE get a 2nd round pick. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle