2023-24 NFL Season Thread

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

NFL free agency is so much more fun than MLBs.

Especially with all the early collusion between teams and players and their agents before the official start of free agency, so all the big signings are released immediately and all at once.

16 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I understand where you’re coming from. Poles may decide to hold onto him if other teams are offering embarrassingly low returns.

According to Ian Rappaport, the Bears haven't even put Justin Fields on the trade market. Is there a chance that Poles and company trade out of the #1 slot again and bring Justin back? Or maybe they give Fields another elite weapon and take Harrison Jr 1.1? 

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

According to Ian Rappaport, the Bears haven't even put Justin Fields on the trade market. Is there a chance that Poles and company trade out of the #1 slot again and bring Justin back? Or maybe they give Fields another elite weapon and take Harrison Jr 1.1? 

I don't think so - but I suppose anything is possible.  I would think if Bears were not really listening on Field(s) - there would have ended up being more reports leaking from other teams speculating whether Bears weren't as interested in Caleb as possible.  

Mooney signs 3yr 39M deal with the Falcons. Bears have a TON of needs in wide receiver room. I also think this is a reflection of what the league thinks of Field(s). I think they are saying - Mooney was open - the QB wasn't using him and finding him.  Again - kind of like league is saying Getsy wasn't that bad since he got another gig.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think so - but I suppose anything is possible.  I would think if Bears were not really listening on Field(s) - there would have ended up being more reports leaking from other teams speculating whether Bears weren't as interested in Caleb as possible.  

Whole situation is very confusing. Rappaport reporting yesterday that Bears aren't listening on Justin Fields at the same time others are tweeting out about the Bears and Raiders discussing a Fields trade. Seems like someone is lying here. 

28 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Mooney signs 3yr 39M deal with the Falcons. Bears have a TON of needs in wide receiver room. I also think this is a reflection of what the league thinks of Field(s). I think they are saying - Mooney was open - the QB wasn't using him and finding him.  Again - kind of like league is saying Getsy wasn't that bad since he got another gig.  

Mooney got open, but he also dropped a lot of catchable balls. Some of those are on Justin, but some were on Mooney as well. It just seemed like they had no chemistry. 

46 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Whole situation is very confusing. Rappaport reporting yesterday that Bears aren't listening on Justin Fields at the same time others are tweeting out about the Bears and Raiders discussing a Fields trade. Seems like someone is lying here. 

It's misdirection season.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's misdirection season.

Seems like it is misdirection season all the time now in professional sports. Some of these reporters are straight up reporting false information in order to get acccess to "real" information. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

The Bears have definitely been shopping him. There's no way they haven't made up their mind yet. 

National NFL reporters are on record that the Bears haven't made up their mind yet. The Bears haven't even met with Caleb Williams. Poles has stated from day 1 that his goal is to build the team through the draft. I could very easily see them trading the #1 pick again to stockpile a bunch more draft picks. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Bears have definitely been shopping him. There's no way they haven't made up their mind yet. 

There’s so many people on social media delusional about the reality of what’s going on. If I was told there was some AI program inputing pro-Fields comments I would atleast have a valid explanation. Other then, “Caleb is a bust, Caleb doesn’t want to play for Chicago, trade for a haul and build around Fields.”

I just don’t get it. Even if you genuinely believe Caleb is not a generational talent, there are other QB options. Are they busts as well? I know I’m not exclusively in a pro-Caleb camp, as much as the one where we get the right one. If they believe it’s Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, whomever; just get it right. If they REALLY believe Fields is the answer, so be it. But for the sake of Poles’ job security, none of those QB options better outperform Fields. Otherwise, Fields would have to take a massive step forward. And let’s say he does - you all know damn well we’ll be debating if he’s worth 30+ million, or would any QB succeed with the weapons the Bears have? 

10 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

There’s so many people on social media delusional about the reality of what’s going on. If I was told there was some AI program inputing pro-Fields comments I would atleast have a valid explanation. Other then, “Caleb is a bust, Caleb doesn’t want to play for Chicago, trade for a haul and build around Fields.”

I just don’t get it. Even if you genuinely believe Caleb is not a generational talent, there are other QB options. Are they busts as well? I know I’m not exclusively in a pro-Caleb camp, as much as the one where we get the right one. If they believe it’s Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, whomever; just get it right. If they REALLY believe Fields is the answer, so be it. But for the sake of Poles’ job security, none of those QB options better outperform Fields. Otherwise, Fields would have to take a massive step forward. And let’s say he does - you all know damn well we’ll be debating if he’s worth 30+ million, or would any QB succeed with the weapons the Bears have? 

This already happened last year. Cj Stroud outperformed Justin Fields by a wide margin.

Maybe the Bears front office has no idea on how to evaluate quarterbacks? I will say that if the Bears pass on Caleb Williams and he wins Offesnive Rookie of the Year then it seems like a pink slip is in store for Mr. Ryan Poles. 

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This already happened last year. Cj Stroud outperformed Justin Fields by a wide margin.

Maybe the Bears front office has no idea on how to evaluate quarterbacks? I will say that if the Bears pass on Caleb Williams and he wins Offesnive Rookie of the Year then it seems like a pink slip is in store for Mr. Ryan Poles. 

The narrative of passing over Stroud was building during the playoffs. In Poles address to the media after the season, he (understandingly) sidetracked questions concerning Stroud. Great, but internally I’d hope there were some discussions about what the Bears missed and how they can learn from it moving forward. 

Passing over Stroud is made easier to stomach given the mulligan of having the top pick in this draft. I can hear the response from people “it’s tough evaluating QBs,”  “many generational QBs flop,” “Bears cannot evaluate QBs” whatever. They’re all excuses. It’s his job and if they cannot find the right QB, especially in this draft, then they deserve to be fired. 

Bears sign Everett (TE from Chargers) to a 2yr 12M deal. He's been a pretty consistent 40-50 (400-500 yard) TE during his career.  Fingers crossed - durability has been good - he's 29 though so aging in NFL terms. Pretty solid depth signing though.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bears sign Everett (TE from Chargers) to a 2yr 12M deal. He's been a pretty consistent 40-50 (400-500 yard) TE during his career.  Fingers crossed - durability has been good - he's 29 though so aging in NFL terms. Pretty solid depth signing though.  

Everett and Waldron have a history together so this makes sense. 

Really hope the Bears go get Danielle Hunter. So far it seems like Poles is playing the rick Hahn game of spreading all the available FA $$ around instead of going all in on a true difference maker signing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Everett and Waldron have a history together so this makes sense. 

Really hope the Bears go get Danielle Hunter. So far it seems like Poles is playing the rick Hahn game of spreading all the available FA $$ around instead of going all in on a true difference maker signing. 

They need to hit a HR on at least one signing. They're sitting on a ton of cap space. I know you don't want to ruin your future cap by giving someone too much money, but you can easily structure the cap hits to be larger this year to help alleviate that.

• Like 2

Ok - I'm going to throw out my hypothetical go big or go home off-season. I have no idea if any of this even work's cap wise, but I should be clear - this is all around knowing we are going to have a QB on the cheap - so why not splurge in a few areas, knowing we have our full draft capital in future years (+ Panthers 2nd rounder and I'm ignoring Field(s) at this point - so his compensation is gravy).

Draft Caleb

Sign Hunter for $25-$30M AAV (but keep years manageable so you have flexibility on the back-end)

Trade back from #9 to #18 + get Tee Higgins - Sign Higgins to a $25M per year AAV deal 

Trade back again from 18 to say 25 - draft best center/oline/dline at this point (but pick up a late 2nd / early 3rd rounder - I presume 3rd for moving back). Or if you like a dlinemen here - take one - maybe take a swing at the UCLA guy and accept the injury risk

3rd Round - Take Best Available Wideout or best available interior linemen (strong draft at both spots hence priortizing here)

3rd Round - Take best available of the other spot 

BPA rest of the way 

Probably stupid - but Dline is upgraded, we have offensive upgrades, plus are making investments in the oline. I also believe if you are going to spend big - spend in on really good players who are either very elite (see Hunter) or still in or buying into their prime (Higgins). 

• Like 1