2023-24 NFL Season Thread

Poles may have screwed this up and waited too long. But I also think the league may not have wanted him. 

I thought they would be able to get a 3rd but probably not a second. If Poles had a 4th and waited he may have messed up.

I hope Wilson sucks and then Fields becomes the guy for Pittsburgh this year. I also hope that Fields doesn’t become a bust that is out of the league after some time. I still think there is time for him to be valuable to teams and he won’t end up like Josh Rosen. Lastly, Nagy messed him up when they drafted him. He didn’t do him many favors in his rookie year. I hope Fields can turn into a passing quarterback and reads the field better. He’s athletic, talented, works hard and seemed to improve with time. At least they didn’t trade him to some loser team like Oakland.

Hopefully it means the Bears just draft Williams and don’t draft Maye. And hopefully Williams is the generational quarterback people have said he will be.

Edited by The Beast

28 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

6th round pick that can become a 4th based on playing time.

Would have kept him as the backup if that's all they got, especially since they're gonna need a backup with Braxton Jones at LT.

There is basically no circumstance that made sense to keep him, and clearly the Bears agreed with that line of thinking as they were only able to obtain a 6th for him. 

The Bears have never developed a QB, as we all know. They are to blame for that, but it’s also incredibly difficult to do, as many other teams around the league also know. They are investing the largest draft capital possible in Caleb, they better do everything in their power and give him every possible chance to develop and succeed. Having Fields on this roster hinders that in multiple ways, and clearly they decided he wasn’t going to be part of their long term plans. Once they made that determination, getting him off the roster was the only choice they had, and I believe other GM’s knew that, which is why they accepted the best offer on the table, which was a 6th. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Poles may have screwed this up and waited too long. But I also think the league may not have wanted him. 

I thought they would be able to get a 3rd but probably not a second. If Poles had a 4th and waited he may have messed up.

I hope Wilson sucks and then Fields becomes the guy for Pittsburgh this year. I also hope that Fields doesn’t become a bust that is out of the league after some time. I still think there is time for him to be valuable to teams and he won’t end up like Josh Rosen. Lastly, Nagy messed him up when they drafted him. He didn’t do him many favors in his rookie year.

Hopefully it means the Bears just draft Williams and don’t draft Maye.

In a league where Mitch Trubisky gets multiple chances, I can’t imagine a team that wouldn’t mind having Justin Fields  at least as their back up QB.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

In a league where Mitch Trubisky gets multiple chances, I can’t imagine a team that wouldn’t mind having Justin Fields  at least as their back up QB.

And not only that, but the Bills brought Trubisky back a second time to serve as their backup QB.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Guys, just because they said Fields has been traded….doesn’t make it true. Poles is playing chess on another dimension, here. Why hasn’t he said anything yet?! Poles said he is building through the draft. And don’t you remember that picture of both of them hugging each other!? It’s because Fields is our QB1, and we’re trading our #1 pick (to avoid the future bust) for a HAUL. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Haha 2

All in on Williams. I really hope he has a long and successful career. This would be a horrible heartbreak if a hopefully once in a lifetime first pick is a bust. Is there a billy goat type curse on Bears QBs? 

31 minutes ago, Texsox said:

All in on Williams. I really hope he has a long and successful career. This would be a horrible heartbreak if a hopefully once in a lifetime first pick is a bust. Is there a billy goat type curse on Bears QBs? 

No, no such curse, the Bears just suck at evaluating QBs (Mahomes, Stroud) and even worse at developing them. That said, I hope Williams is the clear franchise QB we've all been waiting for but I have my doubts about him and I truly hope I'm wrong. JF is a good guy, I hope he gets the coaching and development he clearly never got in Chicago and wish him a nice NFL career. If the Bears f this one up with CW, I will officially turn in my Bears fan card and just resign myself to the fact that we will never have a top QB lol

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Clearly I was wrong on Fields value - this still feels like Bears read the market wrong. That or they really did want to give Fields a preferred destination. 

There are still a lot of question marks and inconsistency in Fields play. I think the Bears are trying to create as positive of a situation as they can for their #1 pick. A weekly controversy over who should be starting isn't how they want this to unfold. If they had a veteran who figured out how to stay in the league, help guide him along, it would be different.  But trying to develop two QBs when you've never managed one, is just too big of an ask. 

And this took less than thirty seconds. 

Assuming the Bears land Caleb Williams with the first overall pick, here's how they can develop him for success:

Focus on Protection and Play Calling:

• Solid Offensive Line: Invest in protecting Williams. A shaky line will crush his confidence and hinder his development.
  • Tailored Playbook: New Offensive Coordinator Shane Waldron's system should utilize Williams' strengths. Design plays with quick throws and rollouts to avoid pressure.
  • Run Game Support: Establishing a strong running game takes pressure off Williams and opens up play-action passing opportunities.

Learning and Growth:

• Veteran Mentor: Consider a veteran QB as a backup to mentor Williams. Someone like Andy Dalton could provide valuable guidance.
  • Gradual Integration: Don't throw Williams into the fire immediately. Start him slowly, letting him learn the NFL game before becoming the full-time starter.
  • Focus on Mechanics: Refine Williams' throwing mechanics to improve accuracy and arm strength.

Building a Winning Team:

• Upgraded Weapons: Surround Williams with talented receivers and tight ends who can create separation and make plays after the catch.
  • Coaching Stability: A consistent coaching staff allows Williams to build trust and develop within a defined system.
  • Strong Defense: A stout defense takes pressure off the offense and allows Williams to manage games without needing to force throws.

Patience is Key:

Developing a young quarterback takes time. The Bears should prioritize Williams' long-term growth over immediate wins.

I firmly believe the Packers are on to something not throwing their rookie QBs to the lions right off the bat. Of course not every team has the luxury of letting their young QB learn from a pair HOFers like Favre to Rodgers and then Rodgers to Love.

2 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

I firmly believe the Packers are on to something not throwing their rookie QBs to the lions right off the bat. Of course not every team has the luxury of letting their young QB learn from a pair HOFers like Favre to Rodgers and then Rodgers to Love.

Or to the Vikings

20 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

When you have back to back HOF’s still playing at an incredibly high level, it’s a lot easier to let someone sit. But Smith/Mahomes and the Packers are really the only situations where it’s happened and worked. 

Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Russ, Kyler, Allen, Luck, etc…all started right away and it worked just fine. You’re taking a guy No. 1 overall, he’s got 3 CFB seasons under his belt…it’s go time. Sitting and watching Justin Fields play for 6-8 games isn’t going to help his develooment

• Like 1

I will state - I wish Justin nothing but the best. He was a class act in Chicago and I hope he does well in Pittsburgh. I also hope Caleb Williams ends up being a total badass kick butt stud qb for the Bears!!! 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Clearly I was wrong on Fields value - this still feels like Bears read the market wrong. That or they really did want to give Fields a preferred destination. 

They clearly read it wrong. You can't tell me nobody offered anything more than a 2025 6th this whole time. It's just that there are almost no backup spots left. Poles tried to get what the Panthers gave up for Darnold and he ended up getting less than 1/3 of that deal. Poles should just stop trading with the Steelers. He's gotten fleeced twice now.

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

When you have back to back HOF’s still playing at an incredibly high level, it’s a lot easier to let someone sit. But Smith/Mahomes and the Packers are really the only situations where it’s happened and worked. 

Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Russ, Kyler, Allen, Luck, etc…all started right away and it worked just fine. You’re taking a guy No. 1 overall, he’s got 3 CFB seasons under his belt…it’s go time. Sitting and watching Justin Fields play for 6-8 games isn’t going to help his develooment

I think by evidence of teams not using the same strategy as GB suggests the NFL knows (for the reasons you listed) it’s not as simple as just sitting a QB and letting him absorb knowledge. 

Also, Williams (or whomever they draft) has the benefit of starting behind a team which should be in playoff contention. Not many QBs drafted #1 have that situation

• Paper Bag 1

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They clearly read it wrong. You can't tell me nobody offered anything more than a 2025 6th this whole time. It's just that there are almost no backup spots left. Poles tried to get what the Panthers gave up for Darnold and he ended up getting less than 1/3 of that deal. Poles should just stop trading with the Steelers. He's gotten fleeced twice now.

Poles was always on the wrong end of the deal. There was no option of keeping Fields if the Bears didn’t like the offers. I don’t know if this was all an attempt to “do right by Fields,” but if anything is going to motivate Justin it’s this weak return. 

50 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I smell bullshit.

The Darnold return absolutely proves that Poles screwed up.  And it also explains why Poles made sure to say that he made the trade that was best for Fields and the Bears.  Poles wants to make it sound like he didn’t mess up the trade and that he was trying to help Fields with his ultimate location.  But how was it the best trade for Fields?  Pittsburgh had already acquired Russell Wilson to be their starter.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I smell bullshit.

The Darnold return absolutely proves that Poles screwed up.  And it also explains why Poles made sure to say that he made the trade that was best for Fields and the Bears.  Poles wants to make it sound like he didn’t mess up the trade and that he was trying to help Fields with his ultimate location.  But how was it the best trade for Fields?  Pittsburgh had already acquired Russell Wilson to be their starter.

Yeah I think Poles quotes imply they made sure Fields ended up in a good situation. Hence the Eagles and Steelers reports - 2 legit orgs. I may be wrong and I think Poles should have been more ruthless to Justin but I suppose if it was true and he did do Justin a solid - it makes a difference in lockeroom and around the league - it’s a business but orgs that treat people right end up ahead in long run. 

Now let’s go - I wish they had an extra draft pick - but 2 top 10 picks - one of which will be one of the more highly rated qbs in a long time plus one more blue chipper! Let’s go!!! 

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah I think Poles quotes imply they made sure Fields ended up in a good situation. Hence the Eagles and Steelers reports - 2 legit orgs. I may be wrong and I think Poles should have been more ruthless to Justin but I suppose if it was true and he did do Justin a solid - it makes a difference in lockeroom and around the league - it’s a business but orgs that treat people right end up ahead in long run. 

Now let’s go - I wish they had an extra draft pick - but 2 top 10 picks - one of which will be one of the more highly rated qbs in a long time plus one more blue chipper! Let’s go!!! 

I’m so glad we’re past the Fields issue and can move forward. It has occupied the entire offseason and divided the city. I’d be happy with Williams at #1, Lathum/Olu/Al or Odunze at #9. 

33 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I’m so glad we’re past the Fields issue and can move forward. It has occupied the entire offseason and divided the city. I’d be happy with Williams at #1, Lathum/Olu/Al or Odunze at #9. 

I’m hoping Odunze falls to #9.  You know what’s better for a rookie QB than two stud WRs?  Three.  It also protects them against Allen inevitably aging out even if he signs a short-term extension.

Not sure about Latham or Olu over Odunze, but I wouldn’t complain if Alt dropped to 9 and they took him.

Stupid end of the season wins.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I still am shocked at all the people who were like bears need to stick with Fields. It just never made sense. It would have if Fields really ascended this year - than by all means get the haul - but passing up on a guy who would have went #1 last year and has been micro analyzed for 2 years is just foolish and those same people just spew non sensical stuff about Caleb. 

First it was Caleb is a diva and wants to be an owner and won’t play in Chicago. Than Caleb talked and ruined that narrative. Than it was he’s a bad teammate and stuff came out about all the great stuff he did.

Now the media is supposedly keeping something damming on Caleb a secret. Really the media that loves a story - if they had real dirt on Caleb it would be being screamed from the mountain tops. 

Caleb may not be great but it will be because of him not translating or getting hurt.