2023-24 NFL Season Thread

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

So Athletic just posted a plausible worst case scenario mock (IMO)

1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. (Vikings Trade Up) Maye
4. MJH
5. Nabers
6. Odunze
7. Alt
8. (Broncos trade up) McCarthy
9. Dallas Turner

Worst case to me? Can't get top 3 receiver AND miss out on the trade out opportunity for JJ. MAYBE people want to trade in for CB1 or Edge 1 or jump Jets for OT2. But it'll be tough.

I still don't think that is a bad break for the Bears. The current starting LDE is Demarcus Walker. They have a large void at that spot and desperately need an edge rusher to go on the other end of the line with Sweat. If the Bears love one of Turner or Verse, I could see them staying at 9 and selecting one of them, and filling a large hole. 

I could also see them absolutely trading back. 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

I still don't think that is a bad break for the Bears. The current starting LDE is Demarcus Walker. They have a large void at that spot and desperately need an edge rusher to go on the other end of the line with Sweat. If the Bears love one of Turner or Verse, I could see them staying at 9 and selecting one of them, and filling a large hole. 

No, you’re right.  It wouldn’t be bad at all, as Walker is the current starter.  I still would prefer to grab a top 3 WR and have Poles do the same thing he did last year, sign a DE to a one year deal way late in free agency.  It don’t work out with Ngakoue but I was fine with the strategy.

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

The Bears are really in a great spot.  Either OT or DL falls or the Bears see a ton of premium offensive threats on the board they can either pick or trade out of the slot because of.

34 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, you’re right.  It wouldn’t be bad at all, as Walker is the current starter.  I still would prefer to grab a top 3 WR and have Poles do the same thing he did last year, sign a DE to a one year deal way late in free agency.  It don’t work out with Ngakoue but I was fine with the strategy.

I have no idea what the Bears FO is thinking, but if Turner AND Odunze is there at 9, I have a hard time thinking they pass on Odunze, but who knows. 

• Thanks 1

It's not BAD, but it's definitely the worst case scenario. It leaves them less likely to be able to trade out if they had enough first round grades, and leaves them out on a likely OT1 and all three top WRs (who are brought up a lot because they are really good WR prospects).

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's not BAD, but it's definitely the worst case scenario. It leaves them less likely to be able to trade out if they had enough first round grades, and leaves them out on a likely OT1 and all three top WRs (who are brought up a lot because they are really good WR prospects).

While it isn't a #1 need, they do need pass rush help almost as badly as they need the other two things.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While it isn't a #1 need, they do need pass rush help almost as badly as they need the other two things.

I agree, I just don't particularly like this group. Would be happier with Murphy at 9 than Verse, whom I just think is way too low ceiling. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I agree, I just don't particularly like this group. Would be happier with Murphy at 9 than Verse, whom I just think is way too low ceiling. 

Exactly.  If it was Jalen Carter (even with his off the field issues) and Odunze both available at #9 this year, I wouldn’t be as upset if they passed on Odunze.  Not for this year’s group.  But I guess we need a DE, not a DT.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

24 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly.  If it was Jalen Carter (even with his off the field issues) and Odunze both available at #9 this year, I wouldn’t be as upset if they passed on Odunze.  Not for this year’s group.  But I guess we need a DE, not a DT.

But my hope would be Poles takes BPA at 9, if they aren’t over the moon on any of the DE’s in that range. If they can’t find a trade partner, and someone like Rome is there, if they love him…then take him. 

I suppose I could see it happening as you have heard the reports that some teams like Naber(s) over him and if the top 4 qb's go - I certainly could see a scenario where Chargers take the tackle. I don't know if Tennessee would also take the next tackle there or would they move down to a team looking to move up to get MHJ.  Crazier things have happened though and I wouldn't complain.  

29 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I suppose I could see it happening as you have heard the reports that some teams like Naber(s) over him and if the top 4 qb's go - I certainly could see a scenario where Chargers take the tackle. I don't know if Tennessee would also take the next tackle there or would they move down to a team looking to move up to get MHJ.  Crazier things have happened though and I wouldn't complain.  

Is it legal for Caleb Williams to get MHJ to rip a bong hit an hour before the draft 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, soulfly said:

No way he slides past 4. 

I see many scenarios where QB's go 1-4.  I don't know that Arizona is going to take one, but i suppose if they traded Kyler than it would be on the table.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I see many scenarios where QB's go 1-4.  I don't know that Arizona is going to take one, but i suppose if they traded Kyler than it would be on the table.  

AZ could definitely look to trade out to someone like Minnesota, but if AZ picks, they pick MHJr for sure.

12 minutes ago, soulfly said:

No way he slides past 4. 

Like Chisoxfn says, if Arizona trades to a QB needy team (the smoke right now) or trades Kyler (unexpected), I can see it.

But making it past five other teams and taken after Naber and possibly Odunze? They'd have to have monster pro days and GMs thinking they're smarter than everyone (which...fair).

On 3/19/2024 at 6:02 AM, bmags said:

Eh, he grew up in DC,, and Oklahoma, both certainly more mild than Chicago but not like the dude has never seen snow. Also, the league is riddled with QBs mostly from california. Big 10 QBs have not been the dominant force despite the tough defenses and worse weather preparing them. 

I think they were talking about Sanders not Williams

7 hours ago, Quin said:

I haven’t seen one mock draft that doesn’t have MHJ as the first WR off the board.  I looked up Mike Tannenbaum and he doesn’t appear to have any Chicago / Bears ties.  I assumed he was a Bears fan with this goofy mock.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I haven’t seen one mock draft that doesn’t have MHJ as the first WR off the board.  I looked up Mike Tannenbaum and he doesn’t appear to have any Chicago / Bears ties.  I assumed he was a Bears fan with this goofy mock.

This is a mock draft you see a meatball Bears fans post in a Bears Facebook group.