Opening Day Winner!

Chicago White Sox

This and that;

First Sox opening day win since 2018 when they beat the Royals 14-7. Matt Davidson's three home run game.

Astros had won a MLB record 10 straight opening day's

Nice to see the Sox get the comeback win.

1-11 with RISP brings back bad memories of last year.

As did the baserunning blunders.

But the pitching both Cease and the bullpen were very good tonight.

Overall a very nice win. They won't get swept and that's important.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

And Rick Hahn got a coupon book from JR. To be fair if you are a Burger King fan some good deals there.

To the tune of those forsaken Burger King ads:

Spoiler

Slider, slider, slider, slider

High heat, curveball, filthy slider

Dylan's start had us inspired

Racking up K's

Will 'Dorf pay, to keep our ace?

He should!

• Haha 1

One game means nothing but we can sure celebrate it.

Glad to see Vaughn stroke that crucial hit. That's a huge base hit for him.

Glad to see Colas get his first hit out of the way.

Glad to see Grandal get a key hit.

And of course Cease was a true star and I'm glad our new closer got the save after the bomb. Needless to say Sox in the recent past have not been able to win games in the ninth inning and look like they belong. Nice win and my guy Jose has to feel dumb letting that smash go right thru his legs in his first game with a new team.

I'll give the entire team an A and stay away from a few negatives on my mind after the game.

• Like 3

Most of the game I was thinking to myself "welp, same old Sox." and honestly, the still might be. One game is a small sample size.

But to win this game the way they did, against the Astros especially, felt like exorcising some demons. 

More importantly, it also felt really really really good

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Most of the game I was thinking to myself "welp, same old Sox." and honestly, the still might be. One game is a small sample size.

But to win this game the way they did, against the Astros especially, felt like exorcising some demons. 

More importantly, it also felt really really really good

Momentum is tmrs starter and all that but I agree. It's a professional clubhouse but you cant tell me a guy like Moncada won't relax a bit after this win. He can just do his job instead of trying for hero ball and that will help. Similar for Lopez who has been through a lot as a ball player and is breaking new ground, a solid appearance for him can give him some confidence as the closer.

And certainly it relaxes us fans a bit, and the players will feel that during the homestead. A split is now looking quite attainable and that will be a solid start all around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

This was the best Cease has ever looked on the mound, right?  

Certainly looked the most assured of himself I’ve ever seen… him calling his own game was one of the coolest things I’ve seen in baseball… ever.

• Like 1

Game 1 of 162, and I was already stressed out.  This is going to be a fun and anxious season.

Cease was downright masterful.  He looked completely composed, and had three pitches working.  Hell of a performance.

Grandal looked much better than last year behind the plate, and the much-needed bomb was beautiful.

Moncada looks better.  He looks engaged and excited to be playing baseball.  I think the WBC was a great thing for him.

Vaughn's clutch double was fucking beautiful.  'Nuff said.

Bullpen was decent.  Lopez throwing 100 with ease was really nice to see.  He made it interesting  but didn't fall apart after the home run.

Great game.  Huge win.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

This was the best Cease has ever looked on the mound, right?  

It's up there with his near no hitter and start against Toronto last year where I think he had 13 strikeouts. 

The funny thing about his near no hitter was that he didn't look all that dominant for about half the game. He looked straight up filthy all game long last night. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's up there with his near no hitter and start against Toronto last year where I think he had 13 strikeouts. 

The funny thing about his near no hitter was that he didn't look all that dominant for about half the game. He looked straight up filthy all game long last night. 

His poise and confidence on the mound, calling his own game, and working with laser precision the majority of the time.  That level of locked in felt new.  Maybe it’s just the contrast to his spring starts that has me super hyped, but he was special last night. 

The best part of the game to me, which is hilarious, was yo getting thrown out at 3rd with no outs in the 9th. It's a cardinal sin and a dumb play, but seeing yoan bust his ass out of the box to leg it out was something we never saw last year and it was a site for sore eyes. 

Play smarter, sure, but keep playing that hard boys. That's all I ask for.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

His poise and confidence on the mound, calling his own game, and working with laser precision the majority of the time.  That level of locked in felt new.  Maybe it’s just the contrast to his spring starts that has me super hyped, but he was special last night. 

Yeah i think his command will still come and go, but the most exciting thing about cease last night was his efficiency. That was the next step he had to take.