Rick Hahn as Matt Damon in The Departed // Lau from Infernal Affairs

bmags

I've been thinking a lot about how this season is in fact Reinsdorf's masterpiece.

We know that the worst years of Reinsdorf's life was having Larry Himes as GM, trying to tell Reinsdorf things that weren't "you are wise business man and so loyal".

Since then Jerry has been able to hire industry people that were sufficiently flattering and aligned to his project of "sport executive who admires Jerry". But there is always risk there. They may have come up in a system that prioritized winning, and not executive admiration. He couldn't be sure where they'd pivot when the times got tough.

Hahn was his long-term play. Get a boy from a well connected family, who grew up getting told by the elite of chicago that he is smart and nice. That is his home. Spoiled enough he could get multiple degrees in his twenties to continue to boost his self esteem, and then have one of his family friends get him a meeting with Jerry. 

It was hahn's decision to go be a scout? Hardly. I don't believe it. I think Reinsdorf realized this was his chance to put a true blue Jerry believer in from the ground up. Monitor his progress, create an infallible resume. Multiple degrees from top universities and came up as a scout? Of course that is Gm material. 

It was the perfect plan really, hahn's clockwork promotions were a sign of his talent, and the promotions were controlled by ole Jerry.

At some point, or maybe always, Jerry's main goal shifted to "still own the white sox but in a way that is guaranteed to have every face-to-face employee express love to me."

Hahn is his masterpiece.

This season may be a disaster on the field, but in that air conditioned office, likely with no windows or media allowed, it is still a loving atmosphere. 

We need to imagine Reinsdorf as happy.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I get the whole hollywood exaggeration thing but no one would ever believe Rick Hahn was a scout.  That's just a bridge too far.  

It's like when you try and win the record for most positions played in a game. You only need to suffer as catcher for .5 an inning and hopefully pull off a few hidden ball tricks.

47 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I get the whole hollywood exaggeration thing but no one would ever believe Rick Hahn was a scout.  That's just a bridge too far.  

“I thought Hahn was prepared to do well, his last few years as assistant G.M. he was out on the road, watching guys, scouting, trusting what he saw. Then when he became G.M. he started getting guys like J.B. Schuck.”

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

You are saying you think we should imagine him as a genius that can accomplish anything with moxy so no.

Not really, I was just looking for him to be on location.

Although I am beginning to wonder if he is farming with s%*#.

Edited by wegner

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've been thinking a lot about how this season is in fact Reinsdorf's masterpiece.

We know that the worst years of Reinsdorf's life was having Larry Himes as GM, trying to tell Reinsdorf things that weren't "you are wise business man and so loyal".

Since then Jerry has been able to hire industry people that were sufficiently flattering and aligned to his project of "sport executive who admires Jerry". But there is always risk there. They may have come up in a system that prioritized winning, and not executive admiration. He couldn't be sure where they'd pivot when the times got tough.

Hahn was his long-term play. Get a boy from a well connected family, who grew up getting told by the elite of chicago that he is smart and nice. That is his home. Spoiled enough he could get multiple degrees in his twenties to continue to boost his self esteem, and then have one of his family friends get him a meeting with Jerry. 

It was hahn's decision to go be a scout? Hardly. I don't believe it. I think Reinsdorf realized this was his chance to put a true blue Jerry believer in from the ground up. Monitor his progress, create an infallible resume. Multiple degrees from top universities and came up as a scout? Of course that is Gm material. 

It was the perfect plan really, hahn's clockwork promotions were a sign of his talent, and the promotions were controlled by ole Jerry.

At some point, or maybe always, Jerry's main goal shifted to "still own the white sox but in a way that is guaranteed to have every face-to-face employee express love to me."

Hahn is his masterpiece.

This season may be a disaster on the field, but in that air conditioned office, likely with no windows or media allowed, it is still a loving atmosphere. 

I don't give a crap whether Jerry is happy or not. In his arrogant, demented and sheltered oblivious world, he still remains a POS owner and the worst owner in baseball. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Hahn is his masterpiece.

Are you feeling ok?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“I thought Hahn was prepared to do well, his last few years as assistant G.M. he was out on the road, watching guys, scouting, trusting what he saw. Then when he became G.M. he started getting guys like J.B. Schuck.”

Was easily convinced Erstad had another 240 hits 40+ doubles season in him...because he checked all the grindy boxes on the evaluation form.