4/28 - Tampa Bay Rays @ Chicago White Sox 6:10 PM CDT, Reinsdorf TV and Berto Radio Network

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Luis Robert has had 1 day off out of 27 games this April. He got a little time to sit yesterday because of the blowout, but this is a pace to play 156 games this year. Thankfully, he has no history of serious injuries where you'd worry about keeping him healthy with extra rest.

Elvis Andrus has started every game for the White Sox.

Andrew Vaughn was off in the 2nd game of the season and has played every day since. 2 of those days were at DH.

Today will be Jake Burger's 14th straight game at 3b since an off day. Thankfully again, no record of serious injury there.

If I was hired as GM March 1st, I would have been honest with the fan base about this team's prospects. I likely would have been criticized here, but the four bench players I would have brought north were Leury Garcia (Inf-OF), Billy Hamilton (OF-PR), Seby Zavala (C) and Lenyn Sosa (Inf), [Burger for Moncada IL and Romy for Anderson IL]. Even if Leury and Billy are poor hitters at this stage, they are valuable for the defense and pitching staff since they were solid defenders wherever you put them, and are among the few players who can help prevent 4-5 out innings. The Sox entire pitching staff is dying with this defense.

Even after jettisoning Abreu, the Sox are still stuck with half their starting lineup as DH only types (Sheets, Burger, Vaughn, Eloy). This drafting position choices / roster construction has been fatal to this alleged rebuild. Robert is the only positive dWAR player (0.9), several basically 0 (Vaughn, Zavala, Sheets, 10D, Moncada, Burger, Eloy) and the rest below average (Andrus, Sosa, Grandal) or abysmal (Alberto, Gonzalez and Colas).

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Of course you do, you have a lot of strident contrarian opinions. Healthy 25 year old on pace to play 156 games, something that's been done literally tens of thousands of times in MLB and you're all "nah, he needs more rest".

You'd describe Luis Robert's career as "Healthy"? 

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But the thing is Steve was probably right in his comment. Lynn really looks heavy.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can't even comment on a pro athlete's weight now? Come on.

Is he any heavier than when Hahn hastily gave him his two year extension in mid July, weeks before he started having knee issues? No. He has been the same weight his entire time here.

Not saying he shouldn't lose weight, because at minimum it would elevate pressure on his knees. That said, Stone's comments weren't constructive in anyway, he was just trying to score gig points on his side hustle. It was good he was man enough to apologize publicly, and its good that he stopped trolling Sox fans on Twitter (hard to tell if he did that on his own).

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Of course you do, you have a lot of strident contrarian opinions. Healthy 25 year old on pace to play 156 games, something that's been done literally tens of thousands of times in MLB and you're all "nah, he needs more rest".

When TLR rested players, most people on this board complained about it constantly.  Now all of sudden we have to start resting young player's in April. GMAFB.

• Like 2

Imagine complaining that young, in their prime athletes, aren't getting enough rest days, in baseball. Remember the days when guys would play pretty much EVERY SINGLE GAME? Including double headers?

What the hell are we talking about here? If anything, they've had too many off days in the past. Baseball isn't like other sports where you need major recovery time. They should be completely fine playing pretty much every day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Imagine complaining that young, in their prime athletes, aren't getting enough rest days, in baseball. Remember the days when guys would play pretty much EVERY SINGLE GAME? Including double headers?

What the hell are we talking about here? If anything, they've had too many off days in the past. Baseball isn't like other sports where you need major recovery time. They should be completely fine playing pretty much every day.

Wilbur Wood started both games of a doubleheader, granted he didn't make it out of the first inning of the first game and ended up losing both games.  On July 20, 1973, Wilbur Wood of the Chicago White Sox starts – and loses – both ends of a doubleheader against the New York Yankees. The knuckleballing left-hander, who loses 12-2 and 7-0 decisions, will finish the season with 359 innings pitched and a record of 24-20.

Wood, to date is the last pitcher to start both games of a twin bill. The knuckleballer gets the nod to start the nightcap after not making it out of the first inning in the opener.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
font size

3 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Coddle culture!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

When TLR rested players, most people on this board complained about it constantly.  Now all of sudden we have to start resting young player's in April. GMAFB.

At least I'm consistent. Here's me defending Tony LaRussa resting people and saying that resting people is well justified, it's the one good thing he's doing, but he needs to stop being an idiot about failing to think ahead in games or about having guys stuck on the bench who can't play but who aren't put on the IL (boy did that ever ramp up in 2022). I defended LaRussa resting these guys!

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least I'm consistent. Here's me defending Tony LaRussa resting people and saying that resting people is well justified, it's the one good thing he's doing, but he needs to stop being an idiot about failing to think ahead in games or about having guys stuck on the bench who can't play but who aren't put on the IL (boy did that ever ramp up in 2022). I defended LaRussa resting these guys!

Thanks, for being consistent.  But I still say April is not the time to rest young player's.  Older player's playing in the cold not a great idea but it never stopped Jose from playing.

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

Thanks, for being consistent.  But I still say April is not the time to rest young player's.  Older player's playing in the cold not a great idea but it never stopped Jose from playing.

I think it's the exact opposite. For a guy who is both struggling and who has been as banged up in his career as Robert (or Anderson, Eloy, Moncada, or Tired Legs Vaughn), you should be proactive in resting these guys. Particularly when they're slumping, give them time to go get some practice swings and let all the little sore things heal for a day. Those minor things turn into things you start favoring, and then those turn into injuries when you step wrong or swing wrong.