Why isn't Colas playing more?

kitekrazy

I did notice that Alexy was outrighted off the 40-man roster so we currently have 39 on there. Made me think maybe one of Marisnick or Frazier gets added soon.

edit: the date certain MiLB players can opt out of their deals is coming up. Worth noting I guess.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

I think he needs to play everyday as well. I think we've gotten spoiled by thinking once players get promoted, they should be ready to go immediately. While some players can do that, not all can. Doesn't mean it's useless to have them play and give up on them so easily. There are countless examples of it working.

Jarred Kelenic looked awful up until this year. Now, he's one of the best OFers in baseball this year. 

The Sox suck, might as well play him everyday so he could develop.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

If he’s in the majors they should be giving him the Ventura treatment and let him hit regardless of results until he breaks through. Particularly considering the sox have no chance either way. Otherwise send him back down

Not even in the same area code in terms of prospect pedigrees. 

Ventura one of the greatest NCAA hitters of all-time. Colas fringe Top Ten in some of the best minor league systems...arguably, average would be #6-7 placement. 

Think of the years when Josh Fields, Jerry Owens or Andy Gonzalez were Top Ten for the Sox... for example. 

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ventura one of the greatest NCAA hitters of all-time. Colas fringe Top Ten in some of the best minor league systems...arguably, average would be #6-7 placement. 

Think of the years when Josh Fields, Jerry Owens or Andy Gonzalez were Top Ten for the Sox... for example. 

So what? He is by far the best borderline mlb prospect they have at the moment

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don’t get why you act like stating well known facts is some sort of revelation. I said they need to give him the ventura treatment not that he is the equivalent of ventura.

Do other teams do anything like this? I’ve been complaining about the White Sox sequence with prospects for nearly 20 years.

-Rush to the big leagues, gotta get that bat in the lineup now.
-Struggles when they arrive
-Rapidly loses playing time to some crappy veteran, we’re trying to win we gotta get that veteran bat in the lineup right now.
-Traded away, gotta get that veteran presence to help our lineup.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I think he needs to play everyday as well. I think we've gotten spoiled by thinking once players get promoted, they should be ready to go immediately. While some players can do that, not all can. Doesn't mean it's useless to have them play and give up on them so easily. There are countless examples of it working.

Jarred Kelenic looked awful up until this year. Now, he's one of the best OFers in baseball this year. 

The Sox suck, might as well play him everyday so he could develop.

The difference is that the Mariners sent Kellenic down to work on things and get it right outside of it pressure to perform on the big league team. He then had a .922 OPS in AAA vs. his .534 OPS on the Mariners.

I get Colas seemed upset last year that he wasn't promoted fast enough because he thought he was ready. Now he's had a chance to see that "hey, maybe there are some things I can work on" and a stint in Charlotte will give him perspective and time to work on it.

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Do other teams do anything like this? I’ve been complaining about the White Sox sequence with prospects for nearly 20 years.

-Rapidly loses playing time to some crappy veteran, we’re trying to win we gotta get that veteran bat in the lineup right now.

Joe Borchard never even got a real extended shot compared to Kelenic. 

Took Crede and Rowand multiple seasons to break into the lineup. 

Beckham and then Anderson were the last two position player rookies allowed to start every single day. 

Brian Anderson was benched and Viciedo only gift wrapped lefties by Ozzie until 2012.  TLR turned on Yermin. 

Semien the obvious miss with this style of indoctrination.  Eduardo Escobar as well as they were pigeon holed as super utility guys early with the Sox. 

Alex Call eventually made it to the majors as an extreme split platoon guy.  Luis Gonzalez last year with SF.  Trayce Thompson had runs with the Sox and Dodgers but has never been able to put it together for an extended period.  Very hit and miss... especially outfielders. recently.  Colas just the latest. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Ricky was the one manager open to regularly playing rookies since possibly Gene Lamont, though that may be more of a function of circumstance and what Ricky was tasked with. Tony and Ozzie hated rookies unless they hit the ground running immediately.

Didn’t really follow the Sox closely under Ventura, Bevington or Manual, so it’s possible they were more amenable to regularly playing rookies even if they were struggling.

That said, it’s the General Manager’s responsibility, at least widely across baseball over the past decade, to work with the manager and set the parameters as to playing time throughout the roster.

I don’t mind seeing Colas taking a few days off to mentally regroup and work on his hitting and mental approach to both sides of the ball. He needs to start playing again regularly next week, either here or Charlotte.

• Like 1