4/30- Rays vs Sox VII, 1:10

flavum

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Do you really think MLB and thr AL would abandon Chicago all because Jerry Reinsdorf ran his team like a Subway Franchise? It's a sleeping giant.

The AL isnt a relevant entity anymore.  There might not even be AL/NL in a few years.

The Dodgers and Giants left NYC, the A’s are leaving the Bay Area which is just as wealthy as Chicagoland and nearly the same population size.  I don’t think its likely the Sox leave but its not that crazy.  They nearly did in the 90’s save for a sweetheart political deal that would be untenable in 2023.

Edited by Green Line
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Green Line said:

The AL isnt a relevant entity anymore.  There might not even be AL/NL in a few years.

The Dodgers and Giants left NYC, the A’s are leaving the Bay Area which is just as wealthy as Chicagoland and nearly the same population size.  I don’t think its likely the Sox leave but its not that crazy.  They nearly did in the 90’s save for a sweetheart political deal that would be untenable in 2023.

This is all before TV revenue became super important.

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Exactly and where does that leave things? There are only a handful of options.

-The Reinsdorf group pays for a new stadium with little public money. Why are you laughing?

-They get into a situation like Oakland the last few years, where some people want to make a deal but neither side wants to leave money on the table, and the state and city are demanding Reinsdorf can’t get the same amazing deal as last time. 

-The team is sold, and new ownership has to decide whether to move. Entirely possible that the new ownership could be a group from another city.

Another option is just to renew the present lease. I have  met people who think that will happen.

23 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Correct, it’s more like the NFL with conferences, there haven’t been league offices or presidents for decades, no more league umpires either.

Any team can leave anywhere depending on the circumstances, I’ve been a Sox fan for 71 years and have seen them very close to moving 3 different times. Let’s face it, the White Sox are not a marquee MLB franchise and they are wearing out their welcome in the Chicago area with the crap that has gone on the last 2 seasons. I’ve lived in Florida now for 30 years with no ties to the Chicago area anymore but it would still break my heart if they left my original hometown.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

This team doesn't have a lead off hitter, currently. So it is kinda hard to hold that part against Grifol. No one on this roster, can competently do that job.

I would rather have a major league caliber player assuredly getting 5 PAs over the most AAA asset on the team,  so whether or not it’s “a traditional lead off hitter” isn’t important at all. I would rather have Vaughn leading off. I was under the impression that traditional assumptions about lineup construction have more recently been proven to be bogus anyway…

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I would rather have a major league caliber player assuredly getting 5 PAs over the most AAA asset on the team,  so whether or not it’s “a traditional lead off hitter” isn’t important at all. I would rather have Vaughn leading off. I was under the impression that traditional assumptions about lineup construction have more recently been proven to be bogus anyway…

Haseley has a higher career OBP than Vaughn.

2 hours ago, shago said:

Jerry is a zombie with one foot in his grave. All about Jerry's kids and how they will make most money on sale. Hard to see how a smaller media market makes the franchise more valuable.

Regardless, until Jerry dies, nothing significant is going to happen. 

This. Sure the Sox have and can continue to get a significant portion of their revenue from the National TV contract and also MLB.com.

That said Reinsdorf also owns 50% (25 Sox and Bulls) of the current local sportschannel. They are likely going to also sell the half which is Sox related to the next owner if it’s not staying within the Reinsdorf family.

They are not going to also keep that portion (nor will a new owner want the Sox without ownership of their local broadcast rights). Also, unless the MLB goes to Tokyo, there are no better viable markets than the 33-40% share of Chicago outside of maybe Nashville down the line, which either Baltimore (which is even in worse shape as a city and fan base) or an expansion group will get within the next few years.

Las Vegas sucks in terms of being a viable MLB market. Oakland is more concerned with getting the entire real estate package (they are getting far more land with at Howard Terminal or Vegas than the ballpark, will make a lot developing and owning these significant plots beyond MLB revenue.

The appetite and ability of local tax bases to funds these billions in demands have by and large come to an end. There will be no more free stadiums every 20-30 years, the money just isn’t there. It’s why Oakland and Tampa have lingered for far longer than what would have happened in the past.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why wasn't Eloy also benched???? 

Rays TV broadcasters just showed the replay and called out Eloy for lack of effort jogging down the line, while also saying, 'the obvious lack of team effort we've watched this weekend is a big reason why this team is 7-21' ... Amazing what a league joke this franchise has become

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1