Can you fool yourself into positivity?

flavum

It’s too early not to have a little optimism and yesterday we finally broke the losing streak but the team has really been horseshit for the first month. I don’t know how they turn it around with such a horrible bullpen. Some other concerns are too many AAAA players on the team, again too many injuries and of course a bunch of players that will swing at anything with no idea of the strike zone. Not sure if everything can be corrected but having TA back probably tomorrow and Moncada not far behind things will hopefully get better. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The issue is that the history changes.  You had one team playoffs when the Sox lost to the Yankees because they were the Yankees, the A's of the early 90's then the Indians of the late 90'skept them out.

The expanded playoffs and three divisions are more modern.  We also have the new schedule this year.

This all creates havoc and makes comparatives difficult.

The crappy division has been crappy for many years and the White Sox have not taken advantage of it. 

I have zero faith in this organization doing anything to gain success but .500 may certainly win this division.

The Twins just lost two starting pitchers for a pretty long time and Correa and Buxton are as big an injury risk as any Sox player.  

Winning the division (not that it will actually happen) would be about the worst thing to happen to the fans.  It would buy the management more time, they would suck more money from the fans, and the team would get humiliated in the first round of the playoffs.  Plus, players that do need to get traded would end up sticking around.

Edited by FloydBannister1983
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

So when you are at or watching a game now this season are you hoping your White Sox win that game or you pulling for their opponent?

This is a better question … At this point I’m neutral or slightly pulling for the opponent.  This management needs to be humiliated, just like Lawrence Holmes talked about in his rant last year.

It doesn’t help that none of the guys on this team are likable, except maybe for Burger.  I see Roberts jogging down the first base line and find myself rooting for the Rays in the first inning.

• Like 1

Scott Merkin not on board

White Sox: Last year’s disappointment has carried over
The team changed managers, with Pedro Grifol taking over for bench coach Miguel Cairo, who replaced Tony La Russa at the end of the 2022 season due to illness for the Hall of Famer. But the White Sox's results actually have grown worse. The '22 squad never fell more than five games below .500, nor rose more than five games above .500, while this current version has lost 10 of 11 and is 8-21 so far this season. They have dealt with injuries to key players such as shortstop Tim Anderson and third baseman Yoán Moncada, while closer Liam Hendriks is working his way back after treatment for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. But in this supposed window of contention following the rebuild, the White Sox have just two overall playoff victories and already have dug a deep hole in '23. -- Scott Merkin

• Haha 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-each-team-learned-in-april-2023

Even more depressing when one reads the writeups on the Guardians and Twins.. 

Also, is that Merkin firing a shot across the now at Hahn or KW with that article?   Both?   

Seems very intentional to not strike a positive note at all (other than players returning,  especially TA7 and Hendriks)  after the miracle comeback on Sunday... 

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

The Sox have given up 183 runs.  Only one team has more (Oakland at 230!).  No other team has given up more than 169 runs.  I do not see this trend reversing anytime soon.

Exactly. The start to the season has been a disaster, but we will get Tim and Yoan back. Luis and Eloy are better than they have started. What is truly scary is just how bad this pitching staff is. It's putrid.

Starting Pitching

Kopech has an ERA over 7, with a FIP of 7.44. Lynn has and ERA over 7, his FIP is 5.47. These guys have flat out stunk, not just unlucky. Clevinger hasnt been any good either, ERA of 4.60 with a 5.57 FIP. Giolito and Cease have been the only reliable starters.

Bullpen

Lopez (8.76), Lambert (6.92), Diekman (7.94), Bummer (9.64), Graveman (5.56), Kelly (7.71) all have been bad to awful so far.

The only reliable arms so far are the guys we cant rely on AT ALL to keep it up with Santos (1.88) and Middleton (3.86)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/what-each-team-learned-in-april-2023

Even more depressing when one reads the writeups on the Guardians and Twins.. 

Also, is that Merkin firing a shot across the now at Hahn or KW with that article?   Both?   

Seems very intentional to not strike a positive note at all (other than players returning,  especially TA7 and Hendriks)  after the miracle comeback on Sunday... 

Definitely feels like an intentional shot at one or both of them from state media.

46 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

The Sox have given up 183 runs.  Only one team has more (Oakland at 230!).  No other team has given up more than 169 runs.  I do not see this trend reversing anytime soon.

Not with this pitching staff.  Outside of 2017 I don’t ever recall a worse Sox starting staff in my 40 years of following the team.

• Like 1

Wanting the Sox to lose, just isn't in me . that being said, I have no hope left for the future . I've tried to have a pragmatic view of this team, but JR, RH & KW have driven every little bit of positive feeling, out of me . some decisions that have been made the last few years, make little sense to any rational person . i'll continue to watch as I always have, but with no expectation of anything positive happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

This is a better question … At this point I’m neutral or slightly pulling for the opponent.  This management needs to be humiliated, just like Lawrence Holmes talked about in his rant last year.

It doesn’t help that none of the guys on this team are likable, except maybe for Burger.  I see Roberts jogging down the first base line and find myself rooting for the Rays in the first inning.

With all due respect, what kind of solution are you suggesting? Sell the team to new owners who move it to another city? Is that what you want? Another total rebuild? How long does that take and how did it work out? You can't save the house by burning it down. And don't root for the opposition, you're a Sox fan. We are all angry and frustrated.

3 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

Wanting the Sox to lose, just isn't in me . that being said, I have no hope left for the future . I've tried to have a pragmatic view of this team, but JR, RH & KW have driven every little bit of positive feeling, out of me . some decisions that have been made the last few years, make little sense to any rational person . i'll continue to watch as I always have, but with no expectation of anything positive happening.

Yeah me too. 

3 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

With all due respect, what kind of solution are you suggesting? Sell the team to new owners who move it to another city? Is that what you want? Another total rebuild? How long does that take and how did it work out? You can't save the house by burning it down. And don't root for the opposition, you're a Sox fan. We are all angry and frustrated.

That's the point, there's nothing worth saving. Sure Jerry we'll let you build a new house with more or your buddies running the show... If they do sell and move the team I don't care. I've been a fan since '90 and have never lived closer than 3 hours to Chicago. The only solution is to SELL THE TEAM.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

Straw man argument. The White Sox aren't moving, things were worse a LOT worse as far as the health of the franchise in the late 60's and the mid 70's and they didn't leave. Too many things still in a franchise's favor if only good ownership knew how to take advantage of it.

When JR departs and the team is sold they aren't going anyplace. Please stop with the dire straits. 

And yes this shitshow needs to be burned down to the ground and rebuild BUT with competent people who know what they are doing.

Again, take care of yourself and hope to outlive current ownership and see what the future brings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Sox are gonna play a terrific game today, because they’re good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, we’re going to get back to .500

Looking at the schedule I'm 100% positive the Sox will not lose today.

1 hour ago, soxrwhite said:

What "Solution" are you suggesting? 

I am 100% rooting for the losses to pile up.  I don’t actually enjoy my favorite team losing all of the time, but that misery is familiar.  I am merely convinced that JR is an impediment to winning, and any decent stretch of games delays the house cleaning that is desperately needed.  I don’t have any belief that JR does this of course, which just makes me double down on wanting this dysfunctional s%*# show to burn all the way down.  Let them be a national embarrassment every single day until he sells or passes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MEANS said:

That's the point, there's nothing worth saving. Sure Jerry we'll let you build a new house with more or your buddies running the show... If they do sell and move the team I don't care. I've been a fan since '90 and have never lived closer than 3 hours to Chicago. The only solution is to SELL THE TEAM.

I can see your point of view. I have never lived more than 30mins from the ballpark and have been a fan since the 60's. Maybe that accounts for differing perspective. GO SOX!

Edited by soxrwhite
  • Thanks 1