Can you fool yourself into positivity?

flavum

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

What "Solution" are you suggesting? 

Well no one truly has a for sure solution now do they? I will suggest that since the season is less than 20% over they try winning with what we have. There is time to hold our heads up and win some ballgames. Things may look a little brighter on June first than May first. Running around waving a white  flag and screaming the sky is falling is definitely not a solution.

• Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

37 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I am 100% rooting for the losses to pile up.  I don’t actually enjoy my favorite team losing all of the time, but that misery is familiar.  I am merely convinced that JR is an impediment to winning, and any decent stretch of games delays the house cleaning that is desperately needed.  I don’t have any belief that JR does this of course, which just makes me double down on wanting this dysfunctional s%*# show to burn all the way down.  Let them be a national embarrassment every single day until he sells or passes.  

I'd like  him sell as well.  Most people seem to think he doesn't care about winning. So Losing will not move him to sell. As for him passing? That happens whether the team wins or loses. Till that time,  why not root to win?

• Hawk 1

I want to be positive. These last few years and especially April have been so depressing and hard to watch this team.

I knew when we finally won one and especially in such dramatic fashion, this resurgence and false hope would try to reel us all back in.

I'm sorry though, this team hasn't been bad in just April this year. They led us along with hope all last year and totally crushed our hopes at the end.

I am not buying into this big turnaround after one good game. The bullpen is worse than last year. The starters are inconsistent. Other than Sunday, the hitting is one of the worst in most baseball stats and metrics. We have a tougher schedule than last year. Most importantly the injuries are not going down. 

Here are the key questions:

I know TA and Moncada are coming back and eventually Crochet and Liam. Will they make a difference?

How long before Moncada gets reinjured?

Is TA going to quit being a drama king and start playing like the all-star he previously has been?

Crochet coming off TJS and Liam off cancer. Can they make a difference?

Is Eloy ever going be the hitter we hoped?

Is the worst bullpen in the league going to stop these constant disaster outings?

There are just too many IF's to be be hopeful on a big turnaround and making the playoffs. Too many things have to go right!

My bottom line is this, I really don't want to just be 500 or a little below. I would rather see this team implode badly as many have stated here. I want them lose 95-100 games to create hopefully major change in the FO. 

The worst scenario that could possibly happen is the Sox think they have a shot, because of playing in the worst division and staying close. Then they pass up being sellers at the trade deadline and we don't make the playoffs. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, soxrwhite said:

Well no one truly has a for sure solution now do they? I will suggest that since the season is less than 20% over they try winning with what we have. There is time to hold our heads up and win some ballgames. Things may look a little brighter on June first than May first. Running around waving a white  flag and screaming the sky is falling is definitely not a solution.

53 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

I'd like  him sell as well.  Most people seem to think he doesn't care about winning. So Losing will not move him to sell. As for him passing? That happens whether the team wins or loses. Till that time,  why not root to win?

In case you haven’t noticed, they just lost 10 straight, are 13 games under, haven’t won a single series in the first month, and are a laughingstock.  I’m not trying to tell anyone how to be a fan, but anyone here “waving a white flag” or “screaming the sky is falling” is doing so with ample evidence to suggest this team is dead, dysfunctional, and going nowhere fast.  If you’d like to ignore the last 10 months or so of baseball this team has played, by all means.  But maybe don’t drag fans who see the big picture and have endured enough of this team’s bullshit. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Ok fair enough. If they do get back in it all I'll say is welcome back, because you will be.  You're here because you got the White Sox gene. I know the feeling. So do I.

Edited by soxrwhite
  • Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

In case you haven’t noticed, they just lost 10 straight, are 13 games under, haven’t won a single series in the first month, and are a laughingstock.  I’m not trying to tell anyone how to be a fan, but anyone here “waving a white flag” or “screaming the sky is falling” is doing so with ample evidence to suggest this team is dead, dysfunctional, and going nowhere fast.  If you’d like to ignore the last 10 months or so of baseball this team has played, by all means.  But maybe don’t drag fans who see the big picture and have endured enough of this team’s bullshit. 

It’s hard, because if you are attending or listening to / watching you naturally want the players and team to play well and win. While I feel it’s better long term for the team to collapse now for long term good, it’s still hard to root against the team during games.

I stayed away from Soxtalk and following / listening to games once the off-season netted a mediocre LFer and scumbag pitcher.

Came back last week due to the car wreck /record breaking futility of a start, a morbid curiosity of how bad this organization has become. Once they win a series, I’m backing away again until Hahn and or Jerry are gone and I can regain hope and pleasure from following the team on a regular basis.

I created the “Sox Greatness thread” today to celebrate the great teams and players throughout the years. It’s how I’m coping with this season and beyond, watching old games and remembering the good times over the decades I’ve followed and cheered for the Sox.

Everyone's socks droop sometime. Our SOX will rise again. Stay the course stay loyal. He's not gonna sell. Be a Sox fan or don't be. Bitchin' and moanin' like a bunch of...................well let's just stop crying. There has been good years there has been bad years. Lets see where this one goes. The final chapter has not been written. I grant you your opinion respect mine.

We probably will not have October baseball but go to a game on a warm Chicago night and have some fun. Its ok to not grind your teeth on every loss.

Edited by soxrwhite
  • Hawk 1

So many things have to improve for this team to make a run at the division. The bullpen is a disaster. We have too many hitters that have no idea of the strike zone and the opposition knows this, too many Ks and not enough walks. We have guys that are too fragile and are constantly on the IL. Too many guys playing out of position, I like Sheets but he has no business playing the outfield. Too many AAAA players like Romy, Colas and Sosa, I thought these 3 would be better but it looks like they need more seasoning in the minors. How to fix these problems is going to be a monumental undertaking, maybe a new pitching coach can fix the bullpen. Anderson and Moncada are due back soon and hopefully that will help. I guess that means Burger will probably be the primary DH and we will see more of Eloy in RF which isn’t an ideal situation. I’m not sure what to expect from Hendricks when he returns, hopefully he will be the Liam of old. We now have 5 months left in the season so there is time to turn things around, will things turn around is the big 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I remember the 1961 Sox who on June 11 were 19-33, 14 games under .500. They got hot and won 19 out of 20 games with winning streaks of 7 and 12 games. If ever the team needed something like those 61 Sox, now is the time, maybe yesterday’s amazing victory will be the start.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Hawk 1

2 hours ago, soxrwhite said:

I have some news you aren’t going to like. You, me, and everyone else in the stands don’t have any impact on that. “We” aren’t part of the team. We’re fans. 

Fans that have been rooting for one of the worst franchises in sports. I don’t try to tell people to be fans. You want to hold out hope, that’s on you. But it’s nothing more than blind faith. Using any historical data to guide your decision making will tell you this will be another season of MLB without the White Sox in the playoffs 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

Everyone's socks droop sometime. Our SOX will rise again. Stay the course stay loyal. He's not gonna sell. Be a Sox fan or don't be. Bitchin' and moanin' like a bunch of...................well let's just stop crying. There has been good years there has been bad years. Lets see where this one goes. The final chapter has not been written. I grant you your opinion respect mine.

We probably will not have October baseball but go to a game on a warm Chicago night and have some fun. Its ok to not grind your teeth on every loss.

Brooks B. quote? 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I remember the 1961 Sox who on June 11 were 19-33, 14 games under .500. They got hot and won 19 out of 20 games with winning streaks of 7 and 12 games. If ever the team needed something like those 61 Sox, now is the time, maybe yesterday’s amazing victory will be the start.

2001 White Sox seems the best/highest "upside" for this team at the moment. 

8 hours ago, flavum said:

Can you?

The division sucks. The Sox have an opportunity to get three games back this week. The Sox schedule in May is “easy”. The  Twins schedule in May is very difficult. 

The five starters have made all of their starts so far- and that in of itself is a positive.

Crochet and Hendriks are on the way. TA is back too.

The Sox have played their worst baseball of the season, because it cannot get worse. 

Back to the division- the balanced schedule is showing it’s possible all five Central teams are in 8 to 15 range in quality of the AL. It may only take 82 wins to take the 3-seed (which is bs, but that’s a topic for another day).

What I’m saying is the Sox need to flush the first 29 (hi Pedro), show up tomorrow night as if it’s opening day, and say we’re going to have five good months to get to over .500. 

If I’m a player or coach, this probably would be my attitude showing up Tuesday. As a fan, can you get there too?

Nothing wrong with staying positive. Deep down we know the team's been on a downward trajectory for a while so we wouldn't be fooling ourselves. I like wins and I don't like losses. I can't change anything that's wrong and the rest of the people here have finally seen the light on the deep rooted problems with the franchise so let them spit into the win and state the obvious for me.

I'll just shrug off the losses and be happy with the wins without the need to count the grains of sand. Seems like a pretty miserable way to spend time.

50 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

You're not fooling anyone, Jerry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxrwhite said:

Whenever I see "Solution" in caps it brings me back to my 9th grade research paper and Hitler...which is a pretty morbid thought, but with all the comments about Reinsdorf dying it's not all that far off in terms of this whole outdated organization going completely off the rails.

Maybe they need to be threatened with contraction like the early 2000's Twins to wake up?

I’m usually a guy who watches 130-140 games start to finish, and goes to about 10 or so. I watched opening day, and then due to being out of town missed the next few and then things started spiraling out of control. There’s a good chance I won’t watch more than 5 games this year for the first time since I wasn’t able to watch them due to blackout rules when I was in college  

I'm usually the eternal optimist and have given the front office the benefit of the doubt time and time again. I kept thinking the players are young and they still have a chance to be good. I can’t do it anymore, I’m pissed off. I just want to watch competent, entertaining baseball, with a shot to make the playoffs occasionally. That shouldn’t be asking too much, but apparently with this asshattery of this Owner and front office it is. 

The promise of this team going into 2020 and the complete 180 to today. It’s a damn shame. I have no optimism until the team is owned by someone else. 

The next 30 days should be interesting. Some guys coming back. Likely move a few chairs around in the bullpen. More stable lineup. I really hope that the dolts in charge don't mistake a couple Ws as progress. We all know this team is fucking cursed and the season is doomed.

Lots of money coming off the books next season. Rebuild 2.0 is going to be a real thing. But who will pull the strings? You gotta figure Uncle Jerry is gonna use the free agent signings that failed as an excuse to not sign anymore big ticket guys.

Team's fucked. I hate being a Sox fan. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soxrwhite said:

No is saying the sky is falling. The sky already fell. The house already burned down. The train already went off the rails. Now the question is whether you blow the toxic chemicals to the sky, ship the runoff to Texas or just let it run downstream

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

The next 30 days should be interesting. Some guys coming back. Likely move a few chairs around in the bullpen. More stable lineup. I really hope that the dolts in charge don't mistake a couple Ws as progress. We all know this team is fucking cursed and the season is doomed.

Lots of money coming off the books next season. Rebuild 2.0 is going to be a real thing. But who will pull the strings? You gotta figure Uncle Jerry is gonna use the free agent signings that failed as an excuse to not sign anymore big ticket guys.

Team's fucked. I hate being a Sox fan. 

Minnesota

@ Cincy (Reds should be favored)

@ KC ???? (who knows, lol?)

Houston (uh, oh)

Cleveland (uh, oh)

Kansas City (first series where they might be favored)

@ CLE

@ DET

LAA

Detroit

@NYY

Last 10 games were against the hottest teams in baseball and the Sox were in some of those games.  There is legitimate disappointment but lot of negativity comes from fair weather fans and closet cub fans.  Sharks are in the water.  Start winning a few series and sweep a few series here and there. Sox can crawl their way back. Once hot weather hits Sox hitters are going to mash.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am Mr. Positive.  I have zero hope for this team or this franchise at this point.  I really think it will take an ownership change at this point as I think the stench is so deep in this org.  The wrong standard, the wrong bar, the wrong money invested in the wrong things. Just awful.  With that said - a total clean house with a complete new voice could theoritically change things. And whomever the front office is - should know going into it what JR's guidelines for payroll are - and than optimize your roster under those standards. 

Don't pretend somehow you are going to be something you aren't.  

I agree. Because the Sox laid out a plan (the tank job, rebuild with stud draft picks and a couple trades involving our good players) and the plan failed so miserably (Chicago teams should NEVER TRY TO LOSE; this once was one of the greatest cities of the world for gosh sakes; city of big shoulders!), I would only rebound mentally if Jerry sold the team. At this point I wouldn't mind the Sox moving and Chicago's south city getting an expansion team.

This year's start, to have a team out of it after 4 weeks is just sad and unacceptable. Only reason to go to a game is for the smells and visuals at the ballpark and the eats. No reason to go watch these bums play ball. Sell the team Jerry, please?

• Hawk 1