Reinsdorf Quotes

Buehrle>Wood

28 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

That doesn’t excuse the White Sox starting 7-19, and in a position to sell, during a year they expected to contend for the American League Central crown despite slashing the payroll by $25 million. But it does inform it.

When a team owner doesn’t demand or invest in a successful product, the front office has no pressure to deliver one. No courage is required to fall on a sword with a collapsable blade....

“Accountability around here is not a problem,” Williams said. He’s absolutely correct. Not only is accountability not a problem — it’s not even a concern. Why would it be when you can over-promise and under-deliver with impunity?

Williams is the second-longest tenured executive in Major League Baseball behind the Yankees’ Brian Cashman, who has 21 postseason appearances, four World Series titles and six pennants. No organization except the White Sox allows someone to run the show for this long without a damn good reason.

• Like 1

I don’t get how this gambling issue isn’t a big deal. If you have a league and owners profiting from betting on games the league stages itself, and there are known variables the league has employed that manipulate game outcomes, then the math should not be hard to solve here. There is only one way this points

• Thanks 1

Just now, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I don’t get how this gambling issue isn’t a big deal. If you have a league and owners profiting from betting on games the league stages itself, and there are known variables the league has employed that manipulate game outcomes, then the math should not be hard to solve here. There is only one way this points

Isn’t this why Rose is banned for life? I guess if the league does same thing it’s just hunky dory

• Thanks 1

I’ve despised this man since 1983 with the Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall incident when on the night they clinched the 83 division he and Einhorn came on TV and trashed Harry and Jimmy, Reinsdork might be a billionaire but is also a classless asshole. Don’t bet against this creep screwing White Sox fans one more time when he sells the team to someone who will move the team to Nashville or Charlotte.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Reinsjerk pretty much described every Sox free agent signing going back to Adam Dunn in 2011... 

Other than McCann Rodon Cueto Andrus, all Hahn's guys were/are significantly detrimental to team finance busts. 

Some will argue Grandal Robertson and Hendriks too...but none of those guys were providing 1 fWAR for $7.5-8 million (for each) contract dollar spent.

Edited by caulfield12

52 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’ve despised this man since 1983 with the Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall incident when on the night they clinched the 83 division he and Einhorn came on TV and trashed Harry and Jimmy, Reinsdork might be a billionaire but is also a classless asshole. Don’t bet against this creep screwing White Sox fans one more time when he sells the team to someone who will move the team to Nashville or Charlotte.

I liked the original version better, he had more humanistic and likable qualities than the current version.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

He also stated something along the lines of as an owner you have to let the GM and baseball minds do their jobs and not interfere with operations….

yet he did the exact opposite when he forced TLR upon the team.

His lack of self awareness and hypocrisy was astonishing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

"[Sports] is different than any other business. For example, your competitors are your partners. You earn probably half of your income in conjunction with your competitors. At the same time, you are at the mercy of your dumbest competitors."

"Particularly in baseball. If you have somebody who decides he wants to spend $42 million on a second baseman who hits .202, and one comes along for you, you’re going to probably have to spend the same money. The whole thing is irrational."

Reinsdorf: "My approach has been I never really cared about making any money, I just want to win. Now, that’s not what I wanted to do in business. ... The first week I was in sports somebody said to me 'If you listen to the fans, you’ll soon be sitting with the fans.'"

"You can’t allow your decisions to be guided by emotions of what you think people want. At the same time, you have to consider what your fans are thinking or they’re not going to buy your tickets."

Reinsdorf: "Sports is a business of failure but the fact that you finish second or third or fourth it doesn’t mean you had a bad year."

"I think the important thing to fans is, while they want you to win championships, they want to know that when they get down to the last month of the season you still have a shot. You’re still playing meaningful games. If you can do that consistently you’ll make your fans happy."

More Reinsdorf: "If you think that you know more than your GM or head coach, then you’ve got the wrong GM... sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and have faith. But you can’t make the decisions for your baseball people...You’ve got to let them make the decisions."

"Sometimes I sit in ownership meetings and I think ‘how in the world could these guys have made money to buy a team.'"

Reinsdorf: In 1981 we were getting $6,000 per game for White Sox games. Now our rights fees are about $700k per game…. We were getting away with murder with the cable bundle.

On cable cont.: "People were paying for sports who really didn’t want the sports….Streaming is coming along but it doesn’t produce the money that the cable bundle produced. And there’s basically near-panic. because where are we going to replace this money in the short term?"

Reinsdorf ended with this half-joking remark on gambling: "Baseball may have made a mistake by speeding up the games this year. Because while people want faster games and want to get out early, there’s less time to bet between the pitches. Maybe we made a mistake."

Pearls of baseball business wisdom. Backed by accomplishments. Yes , Jerry milks money  from the White Sox.  That, he indeed understands 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

33 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

His lack of self awareness and hypocrisy was astonishing.

I don’t think he lacked self awareness and  was not able to see his hypocrisy, I think he doesn’t care and is gonna tell you what he wants you to hear 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think he lacked self awareness and  was not able to see his hypocrisy, I think he doesn’t care and is gonna tell you what he wants you to hear 

Despite the results, he's right, everyone else is wrong. I wonder how those ladies felt sitting up their after just purchasing the teams, having new ideas instead of thinking it's still 1981, and Jerry up there basically saying new people are clueless. I wonder if Jerry ever figured out the woman owning a women's soccer team has more season ticketholders than he does.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

I love that 2b anecdote because it's certainly something that happened in like 1993, caused reinsdorf to sabatoge his own team to bring the players back down to heel, then stopped paying attention for the next 30 years since the only thing he cared about was taken care of.

If it wasn't about money but winning, his actions sure as hell don't reflect that sentiment.

How have we never signed a player to a 9 figure deal? The time to put your money where you mouth is was back when Machado and Harper were available. Franchise altering stars in their prime years. If it was about winning, you sign one of those guys to insert right into the middle of an up and coming roster (At the time).

To go a little further into that..

The Padres hadn't been to the playoffs since 2006, they sign Machado and go all in and they have as many playoff series wins in the last 3 years as we do in the last century.

Phillies hadn't been to the playoffs since 2011, they sign Harper and Wheeler and go all in and they are in the World Series by the 4th year of the deal. Once again, they have matched the White Sox series wins in the last century.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, T R U said:

The Padres hadn't been to the playoffs since 2006, they sign Machado and go all in and they have as many playoff series wins in the last 3 years as we do in the last century.

Phillies hadn't been to the playoffs since 2011, they sign Harper and Wheeler and go all in and they are in the World Series by the 4th year of the deal. Once again, they have matched the White Sox series wins in the last century.

Phillies really looked dead in the water around 2019-20 when Haseley was yet another busted first rounder and Schwarber/Castellanos were just fever dreams on the horizon. 

Really felt like Aaron Nola was the only keeper at that bleak time. 

Lost decade wandering in the desert after their previous WS title. 

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Who's gonna have the last laugh when Harper and Machado are at the end of their deals*? Huh? Did you think about that???

*Please ignore the fact that neither of them are in the Top 10 highest paid players by AAV now, let alone by 2030.

• Fire 1