Red Sox at White Sox, 6/23/23, 7:10 pm CDT.

Balta1701

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That was only five years ago, too. 

Of course the Dodgers' roster is also an embarrassment of riches. 

Will Smith today is one of the best catchers...they dealt the blocked Keibert Ruiz and still have Cartaya. 

Name another "Elite" starting catcher in the history of baseball that sat regularly in the playoffs?

Seby has one less HR than Grandal in 1/2 the at bats.

30 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It also feels cruel to me singling out Seby when ~2/3s of tonight's lineup is replacement level caliber talent. There's just so much dead weight here why fixate on a backup catcher when that position league-wide is universally terrible.

Exactly. Many here don't go beyond a slash or platoon line in their "baseball analysis", or consider the importance of defense at premium positions. Sadly, neither does Rick Hahn and the FO.3

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

He is the best lead off batter that we have had this season.  His only disappointment has been the lack of homers for the money invested.  Otherwise he is one of our better, consistent player. IMO.

His arm and some defensive lapses in concentration haven't helped. 

He's the definition of a complementary player at this point in his career... unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Just pathetic in RISP.

Gio deserved a better fate.

Sheets swinging at a ball over his head on a 1-0 count was pathetic indeed.  No patience to wait for a pitch to hit. Nobody adjusts and we keep repeating the bad habits that are not working.  Where are our coaches?

Just now, hankchifan said:

Sheets swinging at a ball over his head on a 1-0 count was pathetic indeed.  No patience to wait for a pitch to hit. Nobody adjusts and we keep repeating the bad habits that are not working.  Where are our coaches?

Missing in action.

Just now, hankchifan said:

I cant stand Sheets being on this team. There is no player I want gone more then him. What is he currently providing that Colas couldn't? At least with Colas there's mystery as to what he could be, Sheets has shown to be exactly what he is over and over again. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, CBJ03 said:

I cant stand Sheets being on this team. There is no player I want gone more then him. What is he currently providing that Colas couldn't? At least with Colas there's mystery as to what he could be, Sheets has shown to be exactly what he is over and over again. 

I don't think there's much mystery with Colas but at least we haven't seen as much of him at the big league level.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Missing in action.

Coaches have to start giving some take signs to those guys swinging at everything with no positive results.  Show some patience, work the count and wait for a good pitch to hit.  These guys will not take a pitch voluntarily otherwise.  We need to change, what we are doing is not working.

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

Coaches have to start giving some take signs to those guys swinging at everything with no positive results.  Show some patience, work the count and wait for a good pitch to hit.  These guys will not take a pitch voluntarily otherwise.  We need to change, what we are doing is not working.

They fundamentally believe that taking too many pitches is a mistake. This has been a consistent theme since Rick Hahn started hiring hitting coaches. You have to attach pitchers aggressively, that’s their goal.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

They fundamentally believe that taking too many pitches is a mistake. This has been a consistent theme since Rick Hahn started hiring hitting coaches. You have to attach pitchers aggressively, that’s their goal.

Don't mind the approach when u swing at strikes