Mike Shirley’s predraft press conference

Y2Jimmy0

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Well done, Jimmy.

Thanks…..at least now we’ll know who’s making the final call on decisions haha. I think it’s a college hitter for all the reasons we’ve discussed but man he loves prep guys. 

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Thanks…..at least now we’ll know who’s making the final call on decisions haha. I think it’s a college hitter for all the reasons we’ve discussed but man he loves prep guys. 

You can dream on HS players and scouts LOVE to dream on players but that said I also think they're going college bat. 

J.P. Massey. Minnesota Gwendolyn Brooks (HS) • IL 6-5 • 180LBS • R/R Travel Team: Chicago White Sox ACE. Rankings. @jpeezy40. 2018 National.

Yet another one that got away.

Literally a member of White Sox ACE/RBI Program grad and a 7th round pick out of the University of Minnesota.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-mlb-futures-game-baseballs-prospect-ranks-are-full-of-pitchers-who-once-hit-024616639.html

To the Pirates of all teams...

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Btw, I did hear the full interview. I do like Shirley's passion.

You're probably right on a college hitter, but I still think a HS pick is a great idea sometimes, especially if their upside talent and potential is so great. Shirley's last two HS picks of Montgomery and Schultz seem potentially good future major leaguer players.

Since the Sox ML roster is horrible, as well as their pathetic Farm System, I do understand the need to go more college right now. Hopefully someday under a new owner and FO, that will change.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Btw, I did hear the full interview. I do like Shirley's passion.

You're probably right on a college hitter, but I still think a HS pick is a great idea sometimes, especially if their upside talent and potential is so great. Shirley's last two HS picks of Montgomery and Schultz seem potentially good future major leaguer players.

Since the Sox ML roster is horrible, as well as their pathetic Farm System, I do understand the need to go more college right now. Hopefully someday under a new owner and FO, that will change.

They are saying college bat because it’s the strength of the class not because of improving system depth for the ML club.

There is nothing wrong with drafting college players, the problem was writing off other profiles entirely.

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

J.P. Massey. Minnesota Gwendolyn Brooks (HS) • IL 6-5 • 180LBS • R/R Travel Team: Chicago White Sox ACE. Rankings. @jpeezy40. 2018 National.

Yet another one that got away.

Literally a member of White Sox ACE/RBI Program grad and a 7th round pick out of the University of Minnesota.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-mlb-futures-game-baseballs-prospect-ranks-are-full-of-pitchers-who-once-hit-024616639.html

To the Pirates of all teams...

This has nothing to do with this draft, and there is nothing about the pirates drafting someone that is more noteworthy than any other team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

They are saying college bat because it’s the strength of the class not because of improving system depth for the ML club.

There is nothing wrong with drafting college players, the problem was writing off other profiles entirely.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with drafting college players. Remember these college players were once graduating from HS. My only point was when you pick a HS prospect he is only 18 years old, as opposed to already being 21 years old with the college player. Both of them will have to go through the minors for anywhere from 2-4 years. The bottom line is, your HS prospect will hit the majors at a younger age than the college player. By no means am I suggesting you would only take high school players. It should be a mix. 

My other point was in an ideal situation where you have a consistent ML wining playoff roster, as well as a top ranked farm system like the Rays and Dodgers have, then a team could be more patient and have the luxury to draft more HS players especially high in the draft. As I said in my post, the Sox are not in that ideal situation and need to draft more college players. because they don't have that luxury and never will under Reinsdorf and Hahn.

• Hawk 1

14 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Shirley met the media on Friday. I analyzed his quotes for FutureSox and SoxMachine here: https://soxmachine.com/2023/07/mike-shirley-white-sox-prepared-for-all-possibilities-in-mlb-draft/

I appreciate your article. Thanks for linking.

I hope “college hitter” means complete ballplayers at positions they are projected, continuing down the path of selecting players like Colson Montgomery who can field important defensive positions (all beyond 1B/LF).

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Shirley met the media on Friday. I analyzed his quotes for FutureSox and SoxMachine here: https://soxmachine.com/2023/07/mike-shirley-white-sox-prepared-for-all-possibilities-in-mlb-draft/

Thank you, Jimmy.

The vibe I get from that is:

1. If Dollander falls we will take him.

2. Taylor is the college bat if you go strength of the draft approach and he is there. Also checks various boxes, ie LH savage, could play 3B or even 2B.

3. Mike Shirley prep love go for the jackpot pick like Montgomery/Schultz is Blake Mitchell. And I've read we have scouted him heavily too. If you could secure a legit LH bat that definitely can stick behind the plate at catcher which it seems he can with his arm, that would be huge. Yes, there is risk for prep catchers but it seems to be reduced with him.

4. Underslot save money to spend in other rounds (ie Wolters in 2nd) pick....Yohandy Morales. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Hawk 1