Garfein's Thursday podcast...

Lip Man 1

The “highlights” from Garfein’s latest podcast which dropped on You Tube Thursday (Sox fan questions part II)

*Grifol isn’t putting players in the best position to succeed. Continues batting Anderson second for example.

*Grifol recently saying “foundation is in place.” (i.e. clubhouse attitude). It isn’t… he’s saying the same things he said in April…it’s now July.

*Wants Grifol to do what Rocco Baldelli did after the Twins rolled over and died to the Braves a few weeks ago. Baldelli called them out (they then played the clip with his comments). Grifol needs to hold players accountable.

*Think players are “walking on” Grifol. He’s too passive.

*Guys played hard for Renteria, can’t say the same for Grifol.

*Offense is broken because they swing at anything out of the zone. No plate discipline.

*What is the identity of this team? Establish that first THEN get the players who fit it. Sox seem to do the opposite.

*Jake Diekman was brought up. Garfein said he was told by a source that Diekman talked to and that the reason for his turn around in Tampa is because (according to Diekman) "he now has a catcher that he trusts.”

*Thinks Eloy will get traded this off season. Expect at least four guys to go at the deadline. Maybe as many as six.

*McGuffy said he categorically knows the “plan” was to have MULTIPLE nine figure players in the clubhouse. High level guys. Front office never finished that part of the plan.

*Draft issues plaguing this franchise. Read off the first-round picks. Garfein said he could probably do as good of a job as the Sox have over the last 10 years in this area.

*Andrew Vaughn is NOT the problem, neither is Benetendi. Vaughn on pace for over 40 doubles and 90+ RBI’s.

*Second half key is to see what you have, who wants to play and they have GOT to get Anderson’s head on straight. Batting him second will not accomplish that. Said Grifol now is just being stubborn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The “highlights” from Garfein’s latest podcast which dropped on You Tube Thursday (Sox fan questions part II)

*Grifol isn’t putting players in the best position to succeed. Continues batting Anderson second for example.

*Grifol recently saying “foundation is in place.” (i.e. clubhouse attitude). It isn’t… he’s saying the same things he said in April…it’s now July.

*Wants Grifol to do what Rocco Baldelli did after the Twins rolled over and died to the Braves a few weeks ago. Baldelli called them out (they then played the clip with his comments). Grifol needs to hold players accountable.

*Offense is broken because they swing at anything out of the zone. No plate discipline.

*What is the identity of this team? Establish that first THEN get the players who fit it. Sox seem to do the opposite.

*Jake Diekman was brought up. Garfein said he was told by a source that Diekman talked to and that the reason for his turn around in Tampa is because (according to Diekman) "he now has a catcher that he trusts.”

*Thinks Eloy will get traded this off season. Expect at least four guys to go at the deadline. Maybe as many as six.

*McGuffy said he categorically knows the “plan” was to have MULTIPLE nine figure players in the clubhouse. High level guys. Front office never finished that part of the plan.

*Draft issues plaguing this franchise. Read off the first-round picks. Garfein said he could probably do as good of a job as the Sox have over the last 10 years in this area.

*Andrew Vaughn is NOT the problem, neither is Benetendi. Vaughn on pace for over 40 doubles and 90+ RBI’s.

*Second half key is to see what you have, who wants to play and they have GOT to get Anderson’s head on straight. Batting him second will not accomplish that. Said Grifol now is just being stubborn.

They will turn around and say those nine figure contracts are internal…not external FA’s.

Except only two names come to mind, Robert and Cease.

If they’re claiming either Benintendi or Vaughn as some type of win or difference maker…well, maybe in the AL Central way but not the real world of MLB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is the same Jerry sycophant who bitched about Ricky Renteria on the bullshit Reinsdorf Pre/Post Game show, so in the words of Mike Ditka "Who you crappin'?.

This one is less objectionable than the last.

The Grifol stuff may well be true, but I also don’t care. Yelling more at a bad baseball team doesn’t make them not bad. So sure, more accountability would be good, but I don’t expect it to change things. I still find it harder to criticize him for poor decisions when the team was so badly built. Bad pitchers need to pitch when your team is bad. Your lineup will contain bad players when your team is bad.

I will say that “no I haven’t thought about taking Anderson out of the lead off spot” followed by him being out of the lead off spot two days later is the kind of whiplash that you do want to avoid.

-the “no plate discipline thing” is clearly part of the plan. It has lasted across multiple coaching staffs and gotten worse this year. When Rick Hahn interviewed the new hitting coaches, he wanted to hear about how guys will be aggressive. This is part of their system and it’s what they hired these guys for, you can see it in the results. 

Vaughn and Benintendi aren’t awful but they’re not really helping either. The numbers cited here are pointless. He’s another example of a disappointing first round pick as of now, and a middling player who will be nontendered after 2024 if he keeps up this pace. That’s not saying much for him.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Vaughn and Benintendi aren’t awful but they’re not really helping either. The numbers cited here are pointless. He’s another example of a disappointing first round pick as of now, and a middling player who will be nontendered after 2024 if he keeps up this pace. That’s not saying much for him.

I think the biggest issue with Vaughn is that he is a 1st round pick. Had he been, say a 3rd or 4th and put these numbers up there would be far less complaining. His expectations are obviously going to be high than what his current production level is (and rightfully so as a 1st rounder). I think people just need to realize that he most likely isn’t going to be anything special.

The Benny hate is weird too. He’s been disappointing with the power and fielding but it’s really hard to point a finger at him as the reason this team sucks. I think it’s fair to say that his contract probably could have been allocated to other areas of the team, but I wouldn’t count him as a negative on this team. What other alternatives does this organization have? No one wants to see Eloy out there in LF, and the internal options of Hamilton, Fraizer, Reyes, Haseley aren’t going to out produce Benny.

I dont understand the Vaughn hate.

He is young and has a chance to be a really good hitter. He is still finding his way. He played ...what....3 weeks in the minors.

I'm willing to be patient with Andrew. If the other guys in the lineup did what they were suppose to there would a lot less pressure on Andrew as he finds his way as a MLB hitter and 1B

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

He is young and has a chance to be a really good hitter. He is still finding his way. He played ...what....3 weeks in the minors.

I'm willing to be patient with Andrew. If the other guys in the lineup did what they were suppose to there would a lot less pressure on Andrew as he finds his way as a MLB hitter and 1B

We were told this team was going to be competing for the top spots in the AL this year. They're 3rd from the bottom. They let a franchise favorite go to give this guy 1b, he's a top 3 draft pick, and right now he's a middling player on his way to a 1 WAR season. He's also in his first arb year next season, so he goes from making $700k to $3-4 million to $7-8 million over the next 2 years. Whether you count all this as hate or not I don't care, "3 weeks in the minors" is no longer an excuse when a team plans for a guy to be a strong middle of the order hitter.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thanks for posting this information. This summarizes just a portion of this dysfunctional FO which is on a nightmare trainwreck.

The Diekman comment is seriously disturbing. They need to move the POS Grandal at the deadline regardless of what we get back. 

Sounds like a major fix to get Sox pitchers fixed or better is to get rid of Katz and Grandal. LMAO!

6 hours ago, 2Deep said:

I’d give him another year. 

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’d give him another year. 

He's certainly cheap enough to be given that. His 2nd arbitration year could be a bigger question. If he's this current player, he's not worth that money.

HOWEVER, if you have a 1b who is on a path to a <1 WAR season right now, and you're going to hold onto him as a starter for next year, can you really even fantasize about your team being competitive? The answer is no, but that didn't stop the White Sox last offseason and it probably won't stop them in November either.

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think the biggest issue with Vaughn is that he is a 1st round pick. Had he been, say a 3rd or 4th and put these numbers up there would be far less complaining. His expectations are obviously going to be high than what his current production level is (and rightfully so as a 1st rounder). I think people just need to realize that he most likely isn’t going to be anything special.

The Benny hate is weird too. He’s been disappointing with the power and fielding but it’s really hard to point a finger at him as the reason this team sucks. I think it’s fair to say that his contract probably could have been allocated to other areas of the team, but I wouldn’t count him as a negative on this team. What other alternatives does this organization have? No one wants to see Eloy out there in LF, and the internal options of Hamilton, Fraizer, Reyes, Haseley aren’t going to out produce Benny.

1.5-2 fWAR players are fine in and of themselves.

But they're absolutely players you have to produce internally in order to avoid a payroll crunch.

Benintendi also is going to be quite difficult to move because his ceiling seems to be pretty limited.  He has been on quite a hot streak the last 4-6 weeks and he's still below pave for a 2 fWAR.

Not Pollock disastrous...but what about 2025-27?

Especially considering he will be on a rebuilding team, compared to his Yankees' time last year helping to reboot his career after 2-3 consecutive down seasons off that 5.1 peak.  And his defense has just been okay...albeit looking MUCH better in comparison to previous position holders lol.

If he was making $8-12 million per season on a 2-3 year deal....or if Vaughn wasn't picked on the Top 5 like Madrigal, they wouldn't be getting so much attention.

Who is everyone clamoring to replace Vaughn with exactly?

Burger? Sheets? Remillard? The Yerminator?

Please tell me not Eloy to first again?

How long until his arm/elbow gets extended into an oncoming runner and he's out for the season?  And let's not get started on his lack of throwing ability.  Coming in on bunts makes Burger look like Brooks Robinson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1