Merkin/Grifol..."By no means is this over"

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

You are exactly right.  I go back to Thibs with the Bulls you felt that the guy was in charge.  This crap is a clown car.  Other then a few pitchers  Im not sure there is a professional in that organization.

Reinsdorf always lucked into things, and it was dumb luck, not creating your own.

Jordan, Jackson, Skiles was a good coach, Thibs.  They did not find these guys on purpose.

The reason the Sox suck isn’t Pedro Grifol. But, and I was very impressed with his introductory press conference when hired, he’s all talk. The team isn’t prepared. They were still on break last night. They don’t hustle. They don’t control the zone like we were told they will on both sides of the ball. In fact, they are one of baseballs worst. He has no guts to put TA in a different slot I’m the order. His bullpen usage is wacky.  Hitters seem like they never have read a scouting report or looked at video at way too many pitchers.

The best manager in the world may have this team in contention because they only have to be around .500. It’s rather obvious Pedro is in over his head. What exactly does he bring that Ricky Renteria did not? A competent front office would let him go at the end of the season. A competent owner would let the GM go by now. I have the feeling they all will be back next year. If they are and somehow put together a team that should be decent, Pedro’s bad managing will be a reason they failed. Just another in a long line of JR, KW, RH mistakes. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

“We know we aren’t in a good spot, we know there are probably going to be changes here soon, but the message I sent to everyone is that I want to see them at their best the next few weeks. I want to see them work hard in the cages and on the mounds, I want to see them prepare well before the games. You’re going to start seeing us be better and more prepared than we have been; and that’s going to be our path for the future.”

With this quote he admits they are not prepared. And they game after this quote, they seemed even less prepared. That’s his job. He has failed. Time to move on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

With this quote he admits they are not prepared. And they game after this quote, they seemed even less prepared. That’s his job. He has failed. Time to move on.

That’s ok. Everyone can already see it. That way would be a subtle but competent call out of his players and his staff, acknowledging that they haven’t done their best and there are things they could do to be better and smarter. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s ok. Everyone can already see it. That way would be a subtle but competent call out of his players and his staff, acknowledging that they haven’t done their best and there are things they could do to be better and smarter. 

When they struggled controlling the zone on the offensive side of the ball, we heard they were all learning a system and it was going to get better. It didn’t get better. The team, almost 100 games , is still ill  prepared. Nothing has been better. He can give subtle call outs all he wants, but they need to have an effect. They never do. He seems like a fine man, and a nice guy to have on a staff, but he is not a major league manager. A Peter Principle guy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When they struggled controlling the zone on the offensive side of the ball, we heard they were all learning a system and it was going to get better. It didn’t get better. The team, almost 100 games , is still ill  prepared. Nothing has been better. He can give subtle call outs all he wants, but they need to have an effect. They never do. He seems like a fine man, and a nice guy to have on a staff, but he is not a major league manager. A Peter Principle guy.

Like I said, maybe they could try just acting like professionals themselves and see what happens. It would definitely be new for this franchise.

13 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

It was over after they lost 10 in a row.  It was over when they were obliterated on the home opener. s%*#, it was over when Hahn just ran it back with this dope selling us fresh BS.  It’s over.  Burn it to the fucking ground. 

It was over when they didn't make a serious effort to sign proven stars Bryce Harper and Manny Machado but instead saved that money to extend their unproven "young championship core."  

Now they're still telling us to wait until they "flip that switch."

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

It was over when they didn't make a serious effort to sign proven stars Bryce Harper and Manny Machado but instead saved that money to extend their unproven "young championship core."  

Now they're still telling us to wait until they "flip that switch."

Not exactly/completely.

50/50 with Eloy Anderson Moncada Bummer Robert

Vets Keuchel Lynn Grandal Kimbrel Pollock Benintendi Hendriks

35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not exactly/completely.

50/50 with Eloy Anderson Moncada Bummer Robert

Vets Keuchel Lynn Grandal Kimbrel Pollock Benintendi Hendriks

Kuechel should have been Wheeler. Grandal should have been Realmuto. Pollock or Benintendi should have been Harper. 

Basically, we should be fans of the Phillies. 

WHO'S WITH ME

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, zisk said:

Does anyone remember who Chuck Tanner challenged to a fight in the clubhouse? Now that's a manager.

Pedro would probably challenge someone to a pie eating contest.

Ed Herrmann told me one time Chuck was so pissed at him in his office that you could hear the yelling all through the clubhouse.

You'll appreciate this story from my interview with him:

“The other thing that turned it around took place pretty early in the 1971 season. We weren’t doing well; we were having a hard time catching the ball in the outfield. Mike Hershberger was back in Triple-A because he pulled a hamstring and I said I wanted him called back up to the Sox. I got a call from Roland the next day saying that there was a meeting going on at Comiskey Park and that a number of Sox people didn’t want him to return. I said “I’ll be right over.” So I got to the park and went to the meeting. A number of Sox people were there, the Farm Director, the Assistant Farm Director, scouts. Basically they said Hershberger had a bad attitude, he didn’t want to play, a lot of stuff.” 

“So I said, and this was the greatest thing I ever did with the Sox, that “you know there’s a reason Don Gutteridge isn’t here as manager anymore. It’s because he listened to all of you!’ I said “if Hershberger isn’t brought back up, you’ll be looking for a new manager tonight.” I threatened to resign. Mike helped turn it around. He hit a home run to win a game; he threw out a guy at the plate to win a game. He settled down the outfield and we started to win. (Author’s Note: In 74 games that season Hershberger hit .260, with two home runs, nine doubles, 15 RBI’s and 30 walks in 177 at bats.) The point was I was going to win or lose the way I wanted to, not the way someone else wanted me to.” 

• Thanks 2