GameThread: White Sox @ Mets

Kyyle23

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

I get that for when you sign people to 7,8,9,10 year deals and you expect the back half of the deal to be rough.

At the time, you sign a 31 year old to the largest deal in franchise history and hes negative value after 2 years. That's a little more than just how free agency works.

I welcome you to research all deals in MLB at $75M or over and show how many turned out well for the team.  Spoiler alert: its a clear minority.  Ie: that's just how free agency works. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I welcome you to research all deals in MLB at $75M or over and show how many turned out well for the team.  Spoiler alert: its a clear minority.  Ie: that's just how free agency works. 

I would venture to guess that a lot of those deals $75+ are longer than 4 years. If I am signing a player in their prime and only for 4 years, I would expect to get more than we got in those 4 years.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So then is Jerry right? 

I think it sucks that the Sox aren't really players in FA but that's even more evidence to sink a lot of resources into scouting and player development because that's where the value is. 

Edited by baseballgalaly
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

So then is Jerry right? 

Nope, but that's just how free agency is.

All I know is, there is no front office that hands out the largest contract in franchise history and thinks "If we just get two good years out of him it will be worth it."

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If the goal is ROI probably but he doesn't spend elsewhere where needed like scouting and player development 

That's so confusing to me. Jerry doesn't like to spend on proven talent and he doesn't like to spend on unproven talent. 

So where you getting talent from, Jerry? 

• Love 1

Just now, greg775 said:

Sox win! Wonder if the Mets played their version of a Sunday lineup. Don't know what to say about the game. Just, win, baby and they did. So no complaints today.

Too bad we couldn’t take the series but Gio was off on Monday and Touki isn’t a starter. On to Minny, maybe we can sweep them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

That's so confusing to me. Jerry doesn't like to spend on proven talent and he doesn't like to spend on unproven talent. 

So where you getting talent from, Jerry? 

Elves and gnomes 😆

32 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sox win! Wonder if the Mets played their version of a Sunday lineup. Don't know what to say about the game. Just, win, baby and they did. So no complaints today.

The White Sox actually played an all-around good game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Not in my DNA to wish that the Sox lose games. 
What I do wish is that JR has an epiphany and re-signs Gio and goes after some top flight free agents in the off season with some trades thrown in, It wouldn’t bother me to see guys like Eloy and Vaughn traded but only for immediate help, I’m done with rebuilds.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

Enjoyed the game. Always like going to Citi Field.  Sat in the cheap seats, so I don't have a nuanced view of how they won. Thrilled that Kopech was able to keep it together through some control lapses. Bummer looked pretty darn good. Fun day out at the ballpark.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1