Lynn and Kelly to LAD for Trayce Thompson, RHSP Nick Nastrini and RHRP Jordan Leasure

Heads22

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

It's so maddening. The answers are so easy. Why are we the only franchise that isn't successful at running a MLB team? 

Ok a bit of sarcasm here . It's not easy judging and developing talent is hard. However the Sox have a long standing practice of owners who can't figure it out.

If there are restrictions on MLB payroll and MLB contracts  then its imperative to have a system in place that guarantees the development of youth, who according to the rules set up by MLB  is cheap labor , then you must ensure that the cheap labor is given every chance to reach its potential.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok a bit of sarcasm here . It's not easy judging and developing talent is hard. However the Sox have a long standing practice of owners who can't figure it out.

If there are restrictions on MLB payroll and MLB contracts  then its imperative to have a system in place that guarantees the development of youth, who according to the rules set up by MLB  is cheap labor , then you must ensure that the cheap labor is given every chance to reach its potential.

We can't blame this on cheap labor. The team consistently underperforms their payroll. They are constantly behind the times. They were one of them last teams to employ a full time analytics guy then eliminated the position. 

It's actually mind boggling how inefficient and incompetent they are. Plus, just bad luck. Even when they take a safe pick like Madrigal it doesn't work out. 

They should trademark snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Random distribution would have every team winning a world series once every thirty years. If I thought I'd live another fifteen years I'd bet against them even appearing in a WS. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We can't blame this on cheap labor. The team consistently underperforms their payroll. They are constantly behind the times. They were one of them last teams to employ a full time analytics guy then eliminated the position. 

It's actually mind boggling how inefficient and incompetent they are. Plus, just bad luck. Even when they take a safe pick like Madrigal it doesn't work out. 

They should trademark snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Random distribution would have every team winning a world series once every thirty years. If I thought I'd live another fifteen years I'd bet against them even appearing in a WS. 

I'm not blaming the cheap labor but I am blaming those in charge who don't recognize that you spend a lot less once you have a high functioning system with the right people in place to see that it's applied to every minor leaguer in  the system.

Just last year in Int'l FA is a prime example. The Sox didnt spend $1.5M of their allotted funds. Maybe they still can. Now I'm sure they could've spent it on a bunch of 16/17 yr olds who went to other organizations or got only one more guy with an increased offer.

I know it's a corrupt system and all so that's JR's excuse not to pay for youth. But the Sox also have no presence in Japan or Korea also for the higher priced established veterans of those leagues.

In the days of unlimited spending the Sox got Abreu and Robert and other teams also handed out big contracts. The owners soon realized they were spending too much and came up with new rules to stop themselves from being reckless. Now they want to limit themselves further by turning Itn'l Free agency into a draft.

Somewhere around half of baseball has 2 DSL teams to make sure those taken in Int'l FA have a place to play as often as possible since those picks every years can get into the 20's. The Sox have one DSL team. They are small time in most aspects of making sure youth gets every chance imaginable to flourish.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, pcq said:

The point being there are plenty of bad organizations out there. 

I'm sorry, that is not the point at all. The original poster wasn't asking about other organizations, he was asking about his Sox team. We all know there are bad teams out there, but I'm pretty sure many of us don't give a sh*t about the other teams. We only care about our teams being run poorly and losing all the time. 

17 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I hope Sox hire from Rays org. Get someone who has done it with limited budget who can show Jr how those investments can help him keep costs down and make profits while actually having better teams. 

I hope so too. Mike Chernoff from Cleveland would be another outstanding one to come in who understands the Rays system approach. Sadly it probably won't happen because our owner is too ignorant and stubborn.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Fire 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Joe Kelly making me feel sympathy for Tatis Jr. (He recently had wrist surgery, for reasons that are on him - but throwing at his hands?)

We've watched enough Joe Kelly to know that he doesn't know where it's going

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s why he hated LaRussa, who has rings thanks to steroids.

Ah yes let's compare a manager for managing players who took them long before he was born to a professional player who is playing against his own peers doing it..

Balta gonna Balta.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Joe Kelly making me feel sympathy for Tatis Jr. (He recently had wrist surgery, for reasons that are on him - but throwing at his hands?)

Too bad Joe Kelly is a fucking b**** for walking in two runs against the Cubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1