Direct Quotes from Ramirez on incident

caulfield12

“I felt I was able to land one,” Ramírez said through a translator.

“He’s been disrespecting the game for a while,” Ramírez added. “When he does something like that on the bases (knock someone's hand off the base), he can get somebody out of the game. So I was telling him to stop doing that. After he tapped me really hard, more than needed, he said he wanted to fight and I had to defend myself.”

Anderson was not available for comment afterward.

Francona wasn’t exactly sure what prompted the Anderson-Ramírez bout, but said that before the brawl, Anderson had been told by one of the umpires to stop jawing at Guardians rookie Gabriel Arias.

On Friday night, Anderson pushed Guardians rookie Brayan Rocchio off the bag at second following a slide, leading to a call that was controversially reversed by the umpires.

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“I felt I was able to land one,” Ramírez said through a translator.

“He’s been disrespecting the game for a while,” Ramírez added. “When he does something like that on the bases (knock someone's hand off the base), he can get somebody out of the game. So I was telling him to stop doing that. After he tapped me really hard, more than needed, he said he wanted to fight and I had to defend myself.”

Anderson was not available for comment afterward.

Francona wasn’t exactly sure what prompted the Anderson-Ramírez bout, but said that before the brawl, Anderson had been told by one of the umpires to stop jawing at Guardians rookie Gabriel Arias.

On Friday night, Anderson pushed Guardians rookie Brayan Rocchio off the bag at second following a slide, leading to a call that was controversially reversed by the umpires.

He’s not wrong.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Whatever the reason, Anderson embarrassed himself by starting the fight then being knocked on his ass. I felt like his reaction after the scuffle was only because his pride (and face) took a hit

I wouldn't say Anderson started it, but he certainly willingly escalated it.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I wouldn't say Anderson started it, but he certainly willingly escalated it.

Yeah I think Tim wasn't looking for a fight before the play started but once Ramirez stuck his finger in his face it would have been incredible if there wasn't some sort of fight. IMO, if you want to punch the guy in that situation, don't be honorable and say let's fight like TA did. Just punch! Wouldn't even be a sucker punch as far as I'm concerned because Ramirez's actions were clearly begging for a reaction like that. A better and more typical reaction would be to just shove the guy because he's both invading your space and clearly saying fighting words. It's hard to imagine a way it could have resolved **once Ramirez got up and confronted him like that** without them getting at least lightly physical and the benches clearing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yeah I think Tim wasn't looking for a fight before the play started but once Ramirez stuck his finger in his face it would have been incredible if there wasn't some sort of fight. IMO, if you want to punch the guy in that situation, don't be honorable and say let's fight like TA did. Just punch! Wouldn't even be a sucker punch as far as I'm concerned because Ramirez's actions were clearly begging for a reaction like that. A better and more typical reaction would be to just shove the guy because he's both invading your space and clearly saying fighting words. It's hard to imagine a way it could have resolved **once Ramirez got up and confronted him like that** without them getting at least lightly physical and the benches clearing.

Except Ramirez has never been thrown out of a game in his life.

Never argued with an umpire.

Best work ethic on team.

Almost a pristine reputation in that clubhouse and Francona even called him "revered."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He's talking about last night as you can see when Ramirez literally yelling at Anderson with the tag on him. Ridiculous. 

I'm just repeating what was given as one of the reasons provided for the confrontation....that and the 1B umpire giving a warning to Anderson to lay off rookie infielder Arias.

2 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Whatever the reason, Anderson embarrassed himself by starting the fight then being knocked on his ass. I felt like his reaction after the scuffle was only because his pride (and face) took a hit

This is all BS.   I understand the fanbase has gone complete 180 on Anderson, which is fine.   Last night, the only thing Anderson did wrong was he not landing a clean one on Ramirez. 

Ramirez was the asshole in the incident and instigator.    He slides in hard to every base (which is 100% fine and I applaud his way of playing the game),  then he's going to complain about getting "tagged hard" ?   What kind of b**** ass move is that?   And if you look at the replay, Anderson didn't even tag him hard.  Then it was Ramirez who instigated by shoving Anderson's leg out of the way as Anderson stood over him after the tag.   100% I'd have beef with that if I'm Tim Anderson.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

As far as I’m concerned the only thing TA did wrong was drop his hands. You have to keep your hands up and protect your chin, might get embarrassed if you don’t. Any player who isn’t afraid to fight on the field should be required to take some boxing classes, team mandate. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1