Keynan Middleton rips White Sox 'no rules' culture

maxjusttyped

Just now, Vote4Pedro said:

He might as well do it now and try to be 100 percent come spring training so we don’t have talks on whether his back is truly healed 

Agreed. Should have been done months ago but these are the White Sox who were desperately grasping at anything to try to save the season.

43 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Is there another one year bad contract that the Sox could swap Moncada for to get him off the team? 

Also you have to consider not picking up Eloy's options at this point or trading him. 

I think you just have to realize - Eloy needs good leaders around him, but he's fine on a winning team. But him and Yoan can't be the leaders, etc.  Yoan I think is a bigger issue than Eloy - in the sense that he's got a way larger contract, etc. But I'm fine - if they want to totally clean house on those 2 - totally fine.

But they can't possibly rebuild with this same squad - they have to make changes to those having these issues.  And I'm not going to pretend as if Gio or others were perfect - none of us know and every single player on the roster is part of the problem for not making enough of a difference. Gio/Lynn - they had enough credibility that if they wanted to set a tone for the pitching staff - they absolutely could.  

Position wise - I think any of Robert, Moncada, Eloy, Timmy have that ability too - the question is can they or will they.  That seems to be a pretty resounding No.  And I have no idea what role Abreu played in enabling it or not too (cause clearly for a number of years - Abreu was the #1 guy who had the credibility to drive change and leadership from a positional perspective.  Grandal would have also had that ability (at least his 1st year in the org).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Exactly, that’s why it’s called a uniform, everyone and everything should be uniform.

Right. 

But since they do allow it, if a player insists he wants to attract special attention to himself by wearing different colors like he's something special, he better damn well produce like he's special.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Abreu was not the leader nor as respected by the younger cubans as we were told

Not sure anyone believed this.  Abreu I think was part of the problem imo.  So were Lynn, TA, Gio, etc.  

The vets were not leaders.   Eloy and Robert are the kids still and should not have been expected to lead but the vets and JR failed this team during the rebuild.  

TA, Moncada, Andrus, Grandal and Liam need to go ASAP as they are the core of the problems and all FAs (Moncada has 1 year left).  They should have been traded without a second thought.  All can just as easily be DFA (except Moncada)

Just now, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I've been on teams with horrid coaching/structure. All the speaking up in the world wasn't gonna change a thing. 

Just like with a regular job, I'm sure everyone here has worked with a slacker who for some reason, usually brown nosing, is so in with the higher ups, you can't win. You do all the work, they get most of the credit. It wouldn't surprise me if these guys see others who are not held accountable, and since management doesn't treat them all as a team, can't really speak up without causing more issues.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Who in their right mind quits a job with zero accountability for your actions? You can literally do anything you want.

Someone with a conscience. They won't quit today. They  wouldn't let Middleton and Lynn basically show them the door. But something should have happened by now. There probably is even worse things being kept quiet.  

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I've been on teams with horrid coaching/structure. All the speaking up in the world wasn't gonna change a thing. 

These players look at the top and see a cheap owner who doesn’t seem to care, followed by a GM who has made minimal efforts to improve the roster during a supposed “championship window.” Then add in TLR’s hiring followed by Grifol’s low-energy hire. No one above them seemingly cares about winning or going outside their comfort zone. So the players of course, like our own children, push the boundaries. Who is going to say otherwise?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

These players look at the top and see a cheap owner who doesn’t seem to care, followed by a GM who has made minimal efforts to improve the roster during a supposed “championship window.” Then add in TLR’s hiring followed by Grifol’s low-energy hire. No one above them seemingly cares about winning or going outside their comfort zone. So the players of course, like our own children, push the boundaries. Who is going to say otherwise?

There's a lot of truth here. Many people do what they can get away with.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Someone with a conscience. They won't quit today. They  wouldn't let Middleton and Lynn basically show them the door. But something should have happened by now. There probably is even worse things being kept quiet.  

Oh there are. Trust me on that. Hahn is a bigger scumbag than people realize.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I know is guys like Grandal Pollock and Benintendi seem/ed like anti-leaders…

And this puts all those rumors about what Madrigal was doing to create tensions in the clubhouse in a completely different light because he probably expected a team culture like Oregon State where everyone toed the line.

Add his strong religious beliefs into a clubhouse split along racial and ethnic lines…

12 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Exactly. Culture is formed in offseason workouts, preseason workouts, preseason, and then is built during the season. It starts at the top, with the manager, and extends into the leaders of the team.

If none of that is in place no amount of team meetings, yelling, whatever is gonna change things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Exactly this. I think that's part of why they were so listless in 2022. They had clear holes and were inferior to Houston in 21. They did nothing to address it. And the players, whether consciously or subconsciously, phoned it in.